38 °F / 4 °C
Itsukushima Island (aka Miyajima, or "Shrine Island") is located in Japan's Seto Inland Sea, and northwest of Hiroshima Bay. The island covers a total area of approx 30 km2 (12 ml2) and has population around 2,000.
- Itsukushima Island is part of Hatsukaichi city (Hiroshima Prefecture). In 2005, the town of Miyajima merged with Hatsukaichi. The island and its surrounding waters are part of the Setonaikai National Park.
- The island's most famous attraction is the Itsukushima Shrine - a Shinto shrine, listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Japan's National Treasures. The island has several temples, including Toyokuni Shrine (5-story pagoda) and Daiganji (one of Japan's three Benzaiten temples). The island is also famous for its cherry blossoms and maple leaf fall foliage.
- Frequent ferry services are operated by JR Miyajima ferry (JR West) and Miyajima Matsudai Tourist Ship, serving the passenger traffic between mainland Japan and Miyajima. The ferry travel time is approx 10 min. There is also an hourly express passenger ferry service to Hiroshima harbour.
- The island's highest elevation point (Mt Misen) is 535 m (1755 ft). Miyajima Ropeway carries tourists to the peak's top within a 30-minute hike. At the top there are a number of sites related to Kobo Daishi (774–835) - Buddhist priest and founder of Shingon Buddhism.
- Itsukushima Island also features the Miyajima Natural Botanical Garden (located on the northern coast). A short ferry ride is offered from mainland Japan to pray at the Miyajima's shrines and to marvel at the beauty of its forests. Among the island's many temples and shrines is the "Five-Roofs Pagoda".
Itsukushima Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Itsukushima Island dock (anchor) at Miyajima - port town on the north-western coast.
Itsukushima Island tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
Port Itsukushima Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Itsukushima Island, Miyajima, Japan. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|5 June, 2020|
|10 June, 2020|