70 °F / 21 °C
Kingston is a cruise port, major cargo port, largest city (population around 670,000) and the capital of Jamaica (an island country in the central Caribbean Sea). The seaport is located on the island's southeastern coast and near Port Royal.
Kingston Harbour is a natural, deep-water harbor. It is well protected waterway (by a long sand spit - Palisadoes) connecting Port Royal Town and Norman Manley Airport to the rest of Jamaica. The city is the biggest south of the USA with predominantly English-speaking population. Jamaica's government bodies were established in 1923, when Kingston and St Andrew Corporation (KSAC) was formed.
The city is bounded by Harbour View (east), Six Miles (west), Papine (northeast), Stony Hill (north) and also by St Andrew communities (Bull Bay, Gordon Town, Lawrence Tavern, Mavis Bank, Mt Airy) which are not part of Kingston. City's central area is made up of two parts - New Kingston and Downtown. the city is served by two airports - Norman Manley (international) and Tinson Pen Aerodrome (domestic flights only).
Liguanea Club (upper-class social and recreational club) is on Knutsford Blvd. The club owns over 14 hectares (35 acres) of land including former Liguanea Park (current Emancipation Park. Liguanea Club gave a 7 acres land as a gift to the Jamaican Government to establish the park. It is famous for the 3 m (11 ft) high bronze sculpture at the main entrance that comprises a couple naked black male and female statues gazing to the sky – symbolic of the triumphant rise from slavery.
Royal Botanical Gardens (aka Hope Gardens) is a national attraction. Sized 809 hectares (2000 acres), it is ranked the biggest botanical garden in the English-speaking Caribbean.
Kingston was Jamaica's main seaport with numerous finger piers used for docking/berthing by passenger and cargo ships. With freight containerization (shipping TEU containers on large boxships), the seaport moved to Newport West. Kingston Freeport Terminal Ltd (KFTL) in Port Kingston Jamaica started 2019 with a 24-hour performance record (January 24) of handled 3304 TEU-container moves (1464 unloaded and 1840 loaded) on the carrier Cosco Beijing. Terminal's operator KFTL is subsidiary of CMA CGM (world's 3rd largest shipping company). The terminal is operated by KFTL since July 2016 under a 30-year government concession.
Port Royal, Jamaica
Port Royal is an anchorage/tender port and a small fishing town located at Kingston Harbour's mouth. The town was founded by the Spanish in 1518 and soon developed into the largest in the Caribbean. In its glory days (late-17th-century), it was the Caribbean's largest port and hub for shipping and trade.
Port Royal was the main homeport for pirates (privateers and buccaneers) who attacked mainly the Spanish treasure fleet of galleons. These large-sized sailing ships were used in the period 15th-18th centuries - originally as warships, later as merchant ships. The town was well known worldwide for its wealth and low morals. Unfortunately, it was completely destroyed in June 1692 by an earthquake accompanied by a large tsunami. Following the disaster, Port Royal 's commerce relocated to Kingston.
There are plans to develop Port Royal into a cruise port and tourism destination themed on its unique heritage from the privateering years. The first cruise liner docked in Port Royal on January 20, 2020. The vessel Marella Discovery 2 was on a 7-day Panama Canal Experience Cruise roundtrip from homeport Montego Bay.
|Date / Time||Port|
|14 Jan 09:00||Departing from Montego Bay, Jamaica|
|16 Jan 07:00 - 16:00||Puerto Limon, Costa Rica|
|17 Jan 05:00 - 12:00||Panama Canal|
|18 Jan 10:00 - 20:00||Cartagena, Colombia|
|20 Jan 08:00 - 19:00||Port Royal, Jamaica|
|21 Jan 09:00||Arriving in Montego Bay, Jamaica|
The ship docked at a floating pier. For the visiting tourists, from Port Royal were organized bus tours to Kingston.
Kingston cruise terminal
The Kingston Jamaica cruise port redevelopment project was named "Festival Marketplace". It was designed to transform the city's waterfront into a new leisure destination featuring cultural experiences, new walkways to Ocean Blvd, eateries and other tourist-oriented establishments.
- The project included building of a new cruise ship pier. Kingston Harbour welcomed its first cruise ships in the 1950s. On February 14, 1966, SS United States (then woorld's largest cruise liner) docked here at Western Terminals.
- Currently, Jamaica receives over 1 million cruise ship tourists per year at the country's 4 major ports - Falmouth, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio and Montego Bay. In 2011 was inaugurated the newly developed by Royal Caribbean Falmouth cruise port (USD 269 million project).
- Along with the new cruise pier, Kingston's Festival Marketplace project included building of shopping center, bars, restaurants, outdoor food bazaar, exhibition and vendor spaces, luxury loft apartments, open-air gardens, pathways, waterfront promenade, bridge over Port Royal Street (to link directly to the city's centre), renovations to Victoria Craft Market (2-floor vending shops), tourist info kiosk, car parking (capacity 62 cars plus 3 buses).
- For the construction works were contracted the companies Contra Construction and Chin's Construction, with total budget USD 68 million.
- Construction works were completed in August 2015.
- Victoria Pier building was leased for 25-year period to Yosamini Holdings. The company transformed it into a top-class leisure complex with restaurant, lounge, art gallery, entertainment outdoor area, sporting facility.
Port Kingston cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Kingston, Port Royal, Jamaica. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|17 December, 2020|
- Cruise Industry
Jamaica's Port Authority took a major step towards its development of a cruise terminal in Port Royal, via securing a floating pier for the east...February 16, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Marella Cruises revealed 3 new ports of call and 3 new itineraries as part of line's winter 2019 program which sees a selection of new destinations...October 25, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Jamaica's Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett announced that yet another cruise ship was to dock in Kingston harbour yesterday, December 11. Mein...December 12, 2017
- show more news