Marquesas Islands are an archipelago in French Polynesia (one of France's overseas territories in the South Pacific Ocean). The island group's highest elevation point is Mt Oave (on Ua Pou island) - 1230 m (4035 ft) above sea level. The Marquesas are one of the French Polynesia's all 5 administrative divisions. Their capital is Taiohae (on Nuku Hiva Island). The group's total population is around 10,000.
The islands are divided in two groups:
- Northern - Eiao, Hatutu, Motu Iti, Motu Oa, Motu One, Nuku Hiva (388 km2, pop 3000), Ua Huka (83 km2, pop 600) and Ua Pou (106 km2, pop 2200)
- Southern - Hiva Oa (327 km2, pop 2200), Fatu Hiva (85 km2, pop 600), Fatu Huku, Moho Tani, Motu Nao, Tahuata (61 km2, pop 700) and Terihi.
The islands were named by the Spanish explorer Alvaro de Mendana (1542-1595). The Marquesas are served by all 4 airports (on Nuku Hiva, Ua Pu, Ua Huka, Hiva Oa).
Marquesas Islands cruise terminal
Most cruise ships to Marquesas Islands stop anchor in Atuona Bay (on Hiva Oa), including the Paul Gauguin Cruises ship MS Paul Gauguin. The other most visited islands are Fatu Hiva, Tahuata (on the below photo) and Ua Pou.
Folows the list of Marquesas cruise ship ports (docking / anchoring points) by island:
- Fatu Hiva Island - Hanavave or Omoa
- Hiva Oa Island - Atuona port (also anchoring at Pau Mao Bay)
- Nuka Hiva - Tiaohae port
- Tahuata Island - either at Vaitahu (central) or Hapatoni (south) - both port towns on the western coast
- Ua Pou Island - Hakahau port
- *Note: For detailed info on exact island destination (port stops) in the Marquesas please contact your cruise booking / travel agent.
Paul Gauguin Cruises itinerary "Marquesas, Tuamotus and Society Islands" is a roundtrip from Papeete (Tahiti) and visits Fakarava (Tuamotus), Omoa (Fatu Hiva), Atuona (Hiva Oa), Hapatoni (Tahuata), Tiaohae (Nuka Hiva), Huahine (Society Islands), Bora Bora (Society Islands) and Tahaa (Motu Mahana, Society Islands).
Port Marquesas Islands cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|17 October, 2018|
|26 October, 2018|
|31 October, 2018|
The Marquesas Islands cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia.
If you lose the Marquesas Islands location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
Passengers aboard the passenger-freighter ship Aranui 5, will have the chance to attend the Marquesan Festival as part of cruise 19, departing...July 21, 2017
- show more news