Aranui 5 Review and Specifications
Specifications of Aranui 5
|Year built||2015 / Age : 5|
|Flag state||French Polynesia|
|Builder||Huanghai Shipbuilding Co (Weihai, Shandong China)|
|Class||Ro-Pax cargo cruise ship|
|Ferry route / homeports||Papeete (Tahiti, French Polynesia)|
|Owner||CPTM (Compagnie Polynesienne de Transport Maritime)|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||126 m / 413 ft|
|Beam (width)||21 m / 69 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||7500 gt|
|Passengers||206 - 256|
|Decks with cabins||8|
Current position of Aranui 5
Review of Aranui 5
MV Aranui 5 is a cargo cruise ship (freight and passenger vessel) which started operations on December 12, 2015. The cargo cruise itinerary route is between Tahiti and Marquesas Islands. The ship is homeported in Papeete (Tahiti, French Polynesia). Aranui 5 replaced Aranui 3 (launched in 2002). The Aranui 5 ship, just like its fleetmate AraMana/Aranui 6, is French Polynesia-flagged (MMSI 546018800) and registered as "passenger vessel" under the SOLAS Convention (Safety of Life at Sea), which allows the liner to operate international passenger shipping services.
The shipowner CPTM is a 3rd generation maritime shipping company that operates in French Polynesia exclusively. Established in 1954 by the Wong family (Tahiti), initially, the company was named "Wing Man Hing". its cargo vessels serve French Polynesia for over 6 decades. Originally, the company serviced Tuamotus and Gambiers Archipelagos, conducting freight shipping between the islands and Tahiti.
In 2016, the shipowner CPTM officially replaced the old Aranui 3 with the newbuild Aranui 5. The larger Aranui 6 was ordered in 2019 and scheduled for completion in 2021. The names "Aranui 2" and "Aranui 4" were never used due to superstitious reasons. The new Aranui ships are larger than Aranui 3. They have 2 additional decks for more cruise staterooms and public spaces. Their smaller draught (just 5,2 m / 17 ft) allows safe navigation in the small ports and shallow harbours of the South Pacific Ocean's islands.
Aranui 5 was built in China, and on November 9, 2015, the vessel arrived in its homeport Papeete Tahiti. Apart from supplying cargo to the 6 ports in the Marquesas Islands, this cargo cruise vessel also operates a passenger shipping and tourist service as part of a 14-day roundtrip Papeete itinerary. Aranui 5 also stops at the islands of Takapoto and Rangiroa (Tuamotus) before returning on day 13 to Bora Bora Island.
Among the options offered to Aranui cruise passengers ashore is the chance to get traditional Polynesian tattoos done by native artists. In the local culture, tattoos are important and symbolize major life events, social status, prowesses, family identity. The traditional tattoo process involves using wooden tools and serrated combs made of fishbone. For Aranui cruisers' tattoos, local artists use modern equipment and adhere to the highest safety standards.
Aranui cruise excursions include scuba diving, snorkelling, hiking, kayaking, beach picnics, visiting sacred ritual sites, local artisans, pearl farms, Eugene Henri Paul Gauguin's grave (French painter, 1848-1903, buried in Atuona, on Hiva Oa Island).
Aranui 5 cruise itinerary
Next is shown Aranui 5's 14-day roundtrip Tahiti cruise itinerary map.
Follows the list of ports of call (scheduled day visits) on the ship's 14-day roundtrip cruise itinerary.
- DAY 1 - embarkation in port Papeete at around 10 am. Activities include "Welcome Aboard" party with fruit punch and Marquesan dance show by the swimming pool.
- DAY 2 - Takapoto Atoll (Tuamotus Islands) - activities include swimming, lagoon snorkelling, scuba diving.
- DAY 3 - At Sea
- DAY 4 - Nuku Hiva Island. Activities include stops in ports Taiohae, Hatiheu, and Taiohae, cathedral tour, Kamuihei (archaeological site, sacred dance performance), ashore lunch at Yvonne's Restaurant (traditional dish is Hima'a / pig cooked in underground oven), meae (sacred ritual sites, sacred dance performance), paepae (huge stone boulders), optional hiking (trail to Paeke site).
- DAY 5 - Ua Pou Island (Hakahau). Activities include stop in port Hakahau, the ship's crew unloads here supplies (including cement and sugar) and loads copra (dried coconut meat), Hakahau town exploration (handicrafts centre, stone carvings shopping, church visit, ashore lunch at Rosalie's Restaurant (special dishes are breadfruit, island staple, curried goat, the poisson cru / raw fish marinated in lime and coconut milk, also fei / red bananas and fruit poe). Dining includes traditional Bird Dance performance.
- DAY 6 - Tahuata Island, and Hiva Oa Island. Activities include a stop in port Vaitahu (Tahuata), visiting handcrafts centre (bone carvings, shell carvings), stop in port Atuona (Hiva Oa), visiting Paul Gauguin burial site, ashore lunch at Hoa Nui Restaurant, visiting the "House of Pleasure" and museum, optional hiking tour.
- DAY 7 - Fatu Hiva Island. Activities include stops in ports Omoa and Hanavave, demonstration (local women make tapa), demonstration (kumuhei making / herbal bundles used by local women as perfume), visiting arts-crafts centre (tapa, carvings, monoi coconut oil), optional hiking (16 km / 10 ml from Omoa to Hanavave), ashore lunch.
- DAY 8 - Hiva Oa Island. Activities include stops in ports Puamau and Hanaiapa, guided tour visiting Meae Ipona (archaeological site) and Puamau ruins.
- DAY 9 - Ua Huka Island. Activities include stops in ports Vaipaee, Hane, and Hokatu, optional (4x4 or horseback riding) tour, visiting a museum, gardens, ashore lunch, visiting woodcarving workshops black and white coconuts carvings), onboard "Polynesian Night" (themed events, traditional dancing and chanting lessons, buffet dinner on pool deck, themed entertainment).
- DAY 10 - Nuku Hiva Island. Activities include morning stop in port Taiohae (arts-crafts centre), afternoon stop in Hakahau (Marquesan souvenirs shopping).
- DAY 11 - At Sea
- DAY 12 - Rangiroa Atoll. Activities include lagoon swimming-snorkelling-scuba diving, visiting pearl (pearl and shell jewellery shopping).
- DAY 13 - Bora Bora Island ( Society Islands). Activities include white-sand beach, snorkelling, picnic lunch (with traditional Tahitian dishes), optional excursions (scuba diving, outrigger boat tour, swimming with sharks and manta rays, a helicopter tour over Bora Bora Lagoon).
- DAY 14 - disembarkation in port Papeete at around 9:30 am.
Aranui 5 cruise prices for the 14-day itinerary start from EUR 2,530 (class C cabin / no kids under 16 years) and from EUR 3,890 (standard double cabin, double occupancy rates). Aranui cruise deals are inclusive of all taxes, all meals, wine (during onboard meals), pre-scheduled shore excursions, onboard enrichment (expert lecturers/guides).
With Aranui 5 in 2021 will be introduced company's first Cook Islands cruise, first Society Islands cruise and a revamped (expanded with the Marquesas) Pitcairn Itinerary. These voyages will be also included in the Aranui 6 (AraMana) ship's schedule.
- The 13-day Cook Islands itinerary (Papeete roundtrip) is planned for September 4, 2021, and visits Aitutaki, Rarotonga, Rurutu, Rapa, Raivave and Anaa. The revamped with Tuamotus Pitcairn itinerary visits Hikueru Atoll, Pitcairn Island (Adamstown overnight) and Oeno Island (Pitcairn).
- The 12-day Society Islands itinerary is also Papeete roundtrip (planned departure May 8, 2021) and visits Rangiroa-Fakarava-Makatea (Tuamotus) and Raiatea-Tahaa-Maupiti-Huahine-Moorea-Bora Bora (Society Islands).
Aranui 5 - user reviews and comments
Photos of Aranui 5Add Photo
Aranui 5 ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The 254-passenger cargo cruise ship Aranui 5 released its 2021 cruise schedule, offering a total of 21 departures. In addition to the traditional...July 29, 2019
- Cruise Industry
On January 14, 2019, on the event of the cruise line’s first visit to Pitcairn Island, Aranui Cruises (Compagnie Polynesienne de Transport...January 30, 2019
- Cruise Industry
The 254-passenger deluxe ship Aranui 5 announced its sailing schedule for 2020. MS Aranui 5 introduces twenty all-inclusive voyages, such as a...January 17, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Passengers aboard the cargo-cruise ship Aranui 5, will have the chance to attend the Marquesan Festival as part of cruise 19, departing December...July 21, 2017
- show more news
Other Aranui Cruises cruise ships
Aranui 5 Wiki
Ship's 2018 cruise program had 19 scheduled departures for the 14-day itinerary roundtrip from Papeete Tahiti.
For 2019, Aranui 5 had scheduled a total of 20 cruise departures. Among the highlights were 2 itineraries visiting Pitcairn Island (Adamstown UK). These special 13-day voyages (departures January 10 and March 21) were the company's first-ever itineraries visiting a new destination. Both departures are from Papeete, along with Adamstown also visit Tuamotus Islands (Anaa, Amanu), Gambier Islands (Mangareva, Aukena) and Austral Islands (Raivave, Rapa). Traditionally for Aranui Cruises, the remaining voyages are 13-day all-inclusive itineraries out of Papeete to Fakarava, Rangiroa, Bora Bora, Nuku Hiva, Ua Pou, Hiva Oa, Fatu Hiva, Tahuata, Ua Huka.
Cruise itineraries 2020
For season 2020, Aranui Cruises offered a total of 20 voyages, among which the signature "Pitcairn Island Cruise". The 13-day itinerary is roundtrip from Papeete to Tuamotus (Fakarava, Rangiroa), Society Islands (Bora Bora) and Marquesas Islands (Nuku Hiva, Ua Pou, Hiva Oa, Fatu Hiva, Tahuata, Ua Huka). Departures (2020) were scheduled for February 6, February 22 and September 10. Cruise fares started from USD 3320 pp, inclusive of 3 daily meals (complimentary wine during lunch and dinner), guided tours, shoreside picnics and meals. Optional excursions include fishing, scuba diving, snorkelling, hiking, horseback riding. Early bookings and seniors (ages 60+) receive a 10% discount.
Cruise itineraries 2021
- The season starts with a 13-day itinerary (January 9-21, 2021) from Papeete to Gambiers Islands (Rikitea and Aukena), Pitcairn Islands (Oeno and Adamstown) and Tuamotus (Anaa and Hikueru). Fares started at USD 3,830 pp.
- The next itinerary (May 8-19, 2021) is from Papeete to Tuamotus (Makatea, Fakarava, Rangiroa) and Society Islands (Bora Bora, Huahine, Moorea, Maupiti, Raiatea, Tahaa). Rates started at USD 3,220 pp.
- The 3rd exclusive roundtrip (September 4-16, 2021) visits Cook Islands (Aitutaki and Rarotonga), Austral Islands (Raivavae, Rapa and Rurutu) and Tuamotus (Anna). Fares started at USD 3,670 pp.
The 13-day itinerary from Papeete visits Tuamotus (Rangiroa, Fakarava), Society Islands (Bora Bora) and Marquesas (Ua Pou, Nuku Hiva, Hiva Oa, Tahuata, Ua Huka, Fatu Hiva). On select cruises throughout 2021 is offered 10% seasonal discount. A senior discount (for travelers aged 60+) was offered for departure February 13th. Ship's 2021 schedule includes the following itineraries/departure dates:
- January 9-21, May 8-19, September 4-16
- January 28-February 9, May 22-June 3, September 18-30
- February 13-February 25, June 10-22, October 7-19
- March 4-16, June 26-July 8, October 23-November 4
- March 20-April 1, July 15-27, November 6-18
- April 8-20, August 5-17, November 27-December 9
- April 24-May 6, August 21-September 2, December 16-28
Fares for Aranui 5 cruises 2021 started at USD 3,200 pp (excluding taxes).
Aranui 5 User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review