Ua Pou Island (Hakahau, Marquesas French Polynesia)
Cruise Port schedule, live map, terminals, news
Australia - New Zealand - Pacific Ocean Islands
81 °F / 28 °C
Ua Pou Island is one of the largest Marquesas Islands (French Polynesia) - France's overseas territory in the South Pacific Ocean. Ua Pou is approx 40 km (25 mi) south of Nuku Hiva Island and approx 80 km (50 mi) from Hiva Oa Island. The closest isle is Motu Oa (to the southeast). By land area (approx 106 km2 / 31 mi2) Ua Pou is ranked French Polynesia's 3rd largest. Mont Oave (on Ua Pou) is the country's highest elevation point (1230 m / 4040 ft above sea level). Island's population is around 2200.
Ua Pou has two settlements - Hakahau and Hakamaii. Hakahau is the island's principal port town (population around 1700). Hakamaii has a population of around 500. Hakahau has a bank, hospital, gendarmerie, food grocery stores, restaurants, bars, shops, schools, two churches (Catholic, Protestant), Air Tahiti office (French Polynesian airline).
Ua Pou Island is visited by the cargo cruise ship Aranui 5 (2015-built). Next are listed all ports of call (scheduled day visits) on the ship's 14-day roundtrip cruise itinerary from Papeete Tahiti.
- DAY 1 - embarkation in port Papeete at ~10 am. Activities include "Welcome Aboard" party with fruit punch and Marquesan dance show by the swimming pool.
- DAY 2 - Takapoto Atoll (Tuamotus Islands) - activities include swimming, lagoon snorkeling, scuba diving.
- DAY 3 - At Sea
- DAY 4 - Nuku Hiva Island. Activities include stops in ports Taiohae, Hatiheu, and Taiohae, cathedral tour, Kamuihei (archaeological site, sacred dance performance), ashore lunch at Yvonne's Restaurant (the traditional dish is Hima'a / pig cooked in an underground oven), meae (sacred ritual sites, sacred dance performance), paepae (huge stone boulders), optional hiking (trail to Paeke site).
- DAY 5 - Ua Pou Island (Hakahau). Activities include stop in port Hakahau, the ship's crew unloads here supplies (including cement and sugar) and loads copra (dried coconut meat), Hakahau town exploration (handicrafts center, stone carvings shopping, church visit, ashore lunch at Rosalie's Restaurant (special dishes are breadfruit, island staple, curried goat, the poisson cru / raw fish marinated in lime and coconut milk, also fei / red bananas and fruit poe). Dining includes traditional Bird Dance performance.
- DAY 6 - Tahuata Island, and Hiva Oa Island. Activities include a stop in port Vaitahu (Tahuata), visiting handcrafts center (bone carvings, shell carvings), stop in port Atuona (Hiva Oa), visiting Paul Gauguin burial site, ashore lunch at Hoa Nui Restaurant, visiting the "House of Pleasure" and museum, optional hiking tour.
- DAY 7 - Fatu Hiva Island. Activities include stops in ports Omoa and Hanavave, demonstration (local women make tapa), demonstration (kumuhei making / herbal bundles used by local women as perfume), visiting arts-crafts center (tapa, carvings, monoi coconut oil), optional hiking (16 km / 10 mi from Omoa to Hanavave), ashore lunch.
- DAY 8 - Hiva Oa Island. Activities include stops in ports Puamau and Hanaiapa, guided tour visiting Meae Ipona (archaeological site) and Puamau ruins.
- DAY 9 - Ua Huka Island. Activities include stops in ports Vaipaee, Hane, and Hokatu, optional (4x4 or horseback riding) tour, visiting a museum, gardens, ashore lunch, visiting woodcarving workshops black and white coconuts carvings), onboard "Polynesian Night" (themed events, traditional dancing and chanting lessons, buffet dinner on the pool deck, themed entertainment).
- DAY 10 - Nuku Hiva Island. Activities include morning stop in port Taiohae (arts-crafts center), afternoon stop in Hakahau (Marquesan souvenirs shopping).
- DAY 11 - At Sea
- DAY 12 - Rangiroa Atoll. Activities include lagoon swimming-snorkeling-scuba diving, pearl and shell jewelry shopping.
- DAY 13 - Bora Bora Island (Society Islands). Activities include white-sand beach, snorkeling, picnic lunch (with traditional Tahitian dishes), optional excursions (scuba diving, outrigger boat tour, swimming with sharks, and manta rays, a helicopter tour over Bora Bora Lagoon).
- DAY 14 - disembarkation in Port Papeete at ~9:30 am.
Ua Pou Island cruise terminal
Hakahau Harbour is an anchorage port protected by a breakwater. The port has a quay used for cargo ship docking. The Marquesas are one of French Polynesia's all 5 administrative divisions. Their capital is Taiohae (on Nuku Hiva Island). Group's total population is around 10,000.
The islands are divided into two groups:
- Northern - Eiao, Hatutu, Motu Iti, Motu Oa, Motu One, Nuku Hiva (388 km2, pop 3000), Ua Huka (83 km2, pop 600) and Ua Pou (106 km2, pop 2200)
- Southern - Hiva Oa (327 km2, pop 2200), Fatu Hiva (85 km2, pop 600), Fatu Huku, Moho Tani, Motu Nao, Tahuata (61 km2, pop 700) and Terihi.
The islands were named by the Spanish explorer Alvaro de Mendana (1542-1595). The Marquesas are served by all 4 airports (on Nuku Hiva, Ua Pu, Ua Huka, Hiva Oa). Follows the list of Marquesas cruise ports (docking/bay anchorage points) by island:
- Fatu Hiva Island (Hanavave or Omoa)
- Hiva Oa Island (Atuona, also anchoring at Pau Mao Bay)
- Nuka Hiva Island (Tiaohae)
- Tahuata Island - either at Vaitahu (central) or Hapatoni (south) - both port towns on the western coast
- Ua Pou Island (Hakahau)
Note: For detailed info on exact island destination (port stops) in the Marquesas please contact your cruise booking/travel agent.
Port Ua Pou Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ua Pou Island, Hakahau, Marquesas French Polynesia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|15 June, 2024|
- Cruise Industry
Aranui Cruises' 2024 program includes return to Bora Bora
The French Polynesian company Aranui Cruises (fleet) released its 2024 program which includes a return to Bora Bora Island (Society Islands) along...November 14, 2022
- Cruise Industry
PONANT's Paul Gauguin Cruises opens bookings for MS Paul Gauguin ship's itineraries 2024
The PONANT-owned company Paul Gauguin Cruises opened bookings for season 2024 - itineraries scheduled for ms Paul Gauguin. MS Paul Gauguin's 2024...September 26, 2022
- show more news