Baie-Comeau is a small port town located approx 420 km (260 ml) northeast of Quebec City in the Quebec province's Cote-Nord. Baie-Comeau is on the shores of Saint Lawrence River and close to the mouth of Manicouagan River.
There are 2 urban area centres within city limits: Hauterive (population around 12,000) and Baie-Comeau proper (population around 10,000). The city covers a total area of 432 km2 (167 ml2). It is named after the Comeau Bay, which name honours the naturalist Napoleon-Alexandre Comeau (1848-1923).
The oldest part of the city is the Old Post area (Vieux-Poste) near the mouth of Amedee River. There in 1889 Eudists established the Saint-Eugene-de-Manicouagan Mission. The first sawmill in Cote-Nord was built here in 1898 by the Jalbert brothers (Damase and Henri). The sawmill ceased operations in 1907 after the timber stock was swept into Saint Lawrence. Route 138 was extended to Saint-Eugene-de-Manicouagan in 1916 and in 1929, a post office opened with Comeau Bay's English name.
Baie-Comeau itself (town's eastern part) was established in 1936 when a paper mill was built there by Colonel Robert McCormick (1880-1955), publisher of Chicago Tribune. The following year the town was incorporated. The region continued to experience economic development with the creation of hydro-electric power stations on Outardes and Manicouagan Rivers beginning with Chutes-aux-Outardes Station (1952), aluminum smelter (1958), and grain warehouses (Canada's largest, 1959).
The area is a major forestry center for pulp and paper industry. Alongside the paper industry and hydro-electricity, an aluminum plant has raised employment for decades.
Baie-Comeau cruise terminal
Downtown Baie-Comeau is located approx 1,5km (1 ml) from the cruise port, which is also a 20-min walking distance. The port also provides free of charge shuttle buses from the cruise ship terminal.
The port offers a dock and cruise terminal capable of handling big vessels. During double-call (2 visiting ships) days is additionally used a nearby anchorage.
Baie-Comeau tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
Baie-Comeau port's best rated shore excursion is the Lumberjack Village tour. In 2017 to the cruise tour was added a newly-opened microbrewery.
The town itself features restaurants, cafes, specialty shops (selling locally-made products), an art gallery.
The nature reserve "Le Boise de la Pointe-Saint-Gilles" is located in the town's center and along St Lawrence River. The park covers a total area of 175 ha and has 11 km (7 ml) of walking paths, sculptures, rest areas.
In 2017 was started a 50-hour long tour guide training program at the Cegep de Baie-Comeau college. The new course covers all ltour guide basics, including bus and walking tours to local attractions.
The Baie-Comeau cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Baie-Comeau, Quebec, Canada.
If you lose the Baie-Comeau location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Baie-Comeau cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Baie-Comeau, Quebec, Canada. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
16 September, 2017
28 September, 2017