Ocean Cay Island is a private island owned by MSC Cruises. The Italian company announced its plans to buy a small Bahamian island in the end of 2015. MSC negotiated with the Bahamias Government to build an exclusive cruise port of call in the Caribbean. The USD 200 million project was launched in Nassau, where the Bahamas' Prime Minister' and MSC's Executive Chairman signed a 100-year lease agreement. The deal gave MSC rights to occupy and develop the destination, which is officially named "Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve".
MSC Cruises private island Ocean Cay (Bahamas)
MSC's Bahamian private island is located off the Bimini islands (westernmost district of Bahamas). The island is at a short distance from Miami Florida, where MSC had 2 homeported ships for winter 2017-2018 (MSC Divina and MSC Seaside).
The private island purchase gave MSC cruise ship passengers an exclusive Caribbean island destination, making MSC more attractive for its newly introduced North American itinerary program.
- The island is sized 95 acres / 38 hectares (0,38 km2 / 0,15 ml2) and is the world's only private marine reserve. It has a 3470 m (11400 ft) long beach front across 6 beaches, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve is the biggest Caribbean private island development done by a cruise ship company.
- The USD 200 million development project was initially scheduled for completion in December 2017. However, in September 2016 MSC announced that "in order to ensure quality", Ocean Cay will be operational and open to cruise ship passengers in October 2018. Because of the delay, Divina's and Seaside's scheduled island visits (December 2017) were substituted with Nassau.
MSC Yacht Club passengers enjoy an exclusive access to the island's northwest corner, where is located a spa and wellness complex (including private bungalows and massage huts). Part of the project are also walking and jogging paths around the island. Bicycle rentals are also offered.
Among the amenities available on the new MSC "Caribbean private island" vacation destination are also:
- water sports
- beach games
- family beach with a restaurant
- kids playground areas
- an inland lagoon (adults-only)
- zip-line (across the island)
- weddings / private parties / celebrations pavilion
- amphitheater (capacity 2000 seats) hosts live music and entertainment
- several restaurants and bars
An interesting fact is that when the MSC ship is berthed in Ocean Cay, all its onboard facilities and services (including the casino) stay open and operational. The following image show's the island's kids beach area.
Ocean Cay cruise terminal
In January 2017, MSC Cruises started construction works on "Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve". The project's completion is scheduled for November 2018. The island's development is part of the company's EUR 9 billion investment plan, which also includes building of 11 new cruise ships (entering service between 2017-2026).
The MSC private island's infrastructure includes a purpose-built docking pier and 1 berth. MSC ships will be able to dock directly at the island, as opposed to passengers being transported from the ship to the shore via tender boats.
Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve features 2,16 ml (3,47 km) long coastline, surrounding crystal blue waters, beautiful corals, rich and unique marine life, as well as several beaches with the world's finest aragonite sands. The landscaping plan includes planting over 80 indigenous Caribbean trees, also grasses, flowers, shrubs.
Port Ocean Cay cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ocean Cay, Bahamas private island. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|9 November, 2019|
The Ocean Cay cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Ocean Cay, Bahamas private island.
If you lose the Ocean Cay location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.