MSC Cruises is moving toward a purchase of a private island in the Bahamas, according to multiple news sources. The cruise company negotiates to buy what is being called "a small cay", in addition to a US$200 million investment to build it up to support cruise ship calls. The island, formerly called Ocean Cay, is located just off Bimini, and within a short sailing distance of Port Miami, where MSC Cruises will have two ships starting winter 2017-2018. A private island would give MSC another destination offering as it builds up its Caribbean and North America program.
MSC Cruises private island Ocean Cay (Bahamas)
MSC will probably enter the list of lines with their own private islands in Bahamas. The MSC cruise company started negotiations to purchase a small cay, and subsequently to invest USD 200 million to build it up as a cruise ship port of call.
The MSC's private island is currently known as "Ocean Cay" (off Bimini islands / westernmost district of Bahamas). The island is at a short sail distance from Port of Miami, where MSC has two ships deployed for winter 2017-2018. The private island purchase will give MSC cruise passengers yet another island destination in the Caribbean, making the line more attractive for its newly built North America program.
- This news became a fact on December 16, 2015, when the sensational "MSC private island" project was officially launched in Nassau. The Bahamian Prime Minister and the MSC line's Executive Chairman signed a 100-year lease agreement. It enables the MSC Cruises company to occupy and develop the Ocean Cay island, which will be named "MSC Marine Reserve".
- The private island's size is 95 acres (or 0,4 km2 / 0,15 ml2) and has a beach front (all 6 beaches) spreading some As well as being the only marine reserve island experience, at 95-acres in size, and with 11,400 ft (3,5 km).
- The island development project is the biggest in the Caribbean compared to all other cruise line private islands in the region. The project's cost is USD 200 million, scheduled for completion in 2 years - initially in December 2017. However, in September 2016 it was announced that the MSC private island will be operational and open to cruise passengers in October 2018, "in order to ensure quality".
MSC Yacht Club passengers will enjoy an exclusive access to the island's northwest corner, where a spa and wellness complex (including private bungalows and massage huts) will be built. Part of the project are also walking and jogging paths around the island. Bicycle rentals will be also offered. Among the highlights of the new MSC "shore cruise" experience are also:
- water sports
- beach games
- family beach with a restaurant
- play areas
- an inland lagoon (adults-only)
- zip-line (across the island)
- weddings/celebrations pavilion
The following image show's the island's kids beach area.
Ocean Cay cruise terminal
In January 2017, MSC Cruises started construction works on "Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve". The project's completion is scheduled for November 2018. The island's development is part of the company's EUR 9 billion investment plan, which also includes building of 11 new cruise ships (entering service between 2017-2026).
The MSC private island's infrastructure includes a purpose-built docking pier and 1 berth. MSC ships will be able to dock directly at the island, as opposed to passengers being transported from the ship to the shore via tender boats.
Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve features 2,16 ml (3,47 km) long coastline, surrounding crystal blue waters, beautiful corals, rich and unique marine life, as well as several beaches with the world's finest aragonite sands. The landscaping plan includes planting over 80 indigenous Caribbean trees, also grasses, flowers, shrubs.
The Ocean Cay cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Ocean Cay, MSC private island, Bahamas.
If you lose the Ocean Cay location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Ocean Cay cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ocean Cay, MSC private island, Bahamas. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
20 November, 2018
27 November, 2018
MSC Cruises announced it is pushing back - from December 2017 to October 2018 - the opening for Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve in the Bahamas. ...September 15, 2016
MSC Cruises may be moving toward a purchase of a private island in the Bahamas, according to multiple news sources. The cruise company...December 4, 2015
- show more news