Port Vila is the capital and largest city of Vanuatu. It is located on the island of Efate and has a population of 44,040 (2009), an increase of 50% on previous census result (29,360 in 1999). In 2009, Port Vila's population formed 19% of country's population, and 67% of the population of Efate. The city covers a total area of approx 5.37 km2 (2.07 ml2).
- Located in Shefa Province, on the south coast of the island of Efate, Port Vila is the commercial and economic centre of Vanuatu. On March 13, 2015 Port Vila bore serious damage due to Cyclone Pam.
- Port Vila is the most important harbour and center of Vanuatu's trade. The international airport, Bauerfield Intl (VLI) is also situated in the city. The head office of Air Vanuatu is in Vanuatu House, Port Vila.
- Major industries in the city remain agriculture and fishing. Tourism is also becoming important, especially from Australia and New Zealand. There were over 50,000 visitors in 1997.
- Vanuatu is a tax haven, so offshore financing in Port Vila is a major part of the economy. The country is still dependent on foreign aid, and most of it comes from Australia and New Zealand, though in recent years aid has also come from People's Republic of China.
- The capital of Vanuatu boasts various sights to explore. There are a number of memorials, e.g. opposite the Parliament where a couple of traditional totem poles and a pig's tusk monument can be seen. Presbyterian Church of Port Vila is a sightworthy building situated opposite the Independence Park. The City Hall of Port Vila is an oblong building on a hill in the centre of the city.
- Vanuatu Cultural Centre, which hosts Vanuatu National Museum, is at Saralana Park in front of the parliament, near the National Library and Vanuatu National Council of Chiefs (Malvatumauri). This institution is a major place for preservation and promotion of different aspects of local culture. Traditional artifacts from a few islands are on display in the museum. Vanuatu Cultural Centre also hosts the National Audiovisual Archives which is the major fund of documents from late 19th century until today.
Port Vila cruise terminal
Most cruise ships to Efate Island dock (anchor) at Port Vila - port town on the western coast. Some ships may stop at Port Havannah - located on the northwestern coast.
Port Port Vila cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|4 July, 2018|
|9 July, 2018|
|10 July, 2018|
|14 July, 2018|
|25 July, 2018|
|28 July, 2018|
The Port Vila cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu.
If you lose the Port Vila location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.