Anthem of the Seas Review and Specifications
Specifications of Anthem of the Seas
|Year built||2015 / Age : 3|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||EUR 750 million (USD 940 million)|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Operator||Royal Caribbean International|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||348 m / 1142 ft|
|Beam (width)||49 m / 161 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||167800 gt|
|Passengers||4168 - 4825|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Christened by||Emma Wilby|
Current itinerary of Anthem of the Seas
Anthem of the Seas current cruise is 5 days, round-trip Bermuda. Prices start from USD 649 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 15 Sep, 2018 and ends on 20 Sep, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|15 Sep||Departing from New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|17 Sep 09:00 - 17:00||Kings Wharf, Bermuda|
|20 Sep||Arriving in New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
Review of Anthem of the Seas
Launched in 2015, Anthem of the Seas cruise ship is the 2nd Quantum-class Royal Caribbean vessel, together with the sisterships Quantum of the Seas (2014) and Ovation of the Seas (2016). Similar in design are the ‘Quantum Plus’-Class vessels Passion of the Seas (2019) and Pulse of the Seas (2020), as well as the "Quantum Ultra-Class" Spectrum Of The Seas (2019). Next is shown a Quantum-class ship as looked from above.
History - construction and ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is an US company, trademarked brand and subsidiary owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL, shipowner). RCI was established in 1968 and currently has over 1/5 of the worldwide cruise market. RCI also has RCCL's largest fleet as both number of vessels and GT tonnage (ship sizes and capacities). All Royal Caribbean liners have names ending with "of the Seas".
The 167,800-ton, 4,905-passenger cruise ship Anthem of the Seas is a next-generation Quantum Class ship. The name of the vessel comes from a song of praise, and reveals many of the best qualities and features of Royal Caribbean International. The size of the Quantum-class cruise ships is significantly decreased, compared to the Oasis Class ships of the line.
Cruise itinerary program
Anthem of the Seas itinerary program is based on cruises in Europe with departures from Southampton UK, as well as on Caribbean voyages out of Cape Liberty (Bayonne, NJ).
Most Anthem of the Seas staterooms are balcony (1447) and 100-185-sq.foot insides (367). There are a total of 2090 staterooms. The largest aboard Anthem of the Seas are the Royal Loft Suites (152 m2). The new “Royal Suite Class” booking category (suite accommodations only) provides Anthem's highest paying passengers with the ultimate all-inclusive cruise experience of Royal Caribbean, marked by Coastal Kitchen exclusive access, 24-hour personal butler service, included gratuities, all-inclusive drinks, free Internet and thermal suite unlimited access. Anthem of the Seas was also designed with 34 wheelchair-accessible cabins and 373 virtual balconies (the interior features real-time views of the ocean and destinations). Compared to the Oasis-class ships, guests can enjoy larger staterooms, more family-connected cabins and new studio staterooms (for solo travelers).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Passengers on Anthem of the Seas are offered plenty dining options to choose from, with multiple choices for light bites as well. Reservations for all restaurants can be made online ahead of cruise. Though not required, reservations are definitely recommended to ensure guests get to eat where they want, when they want. Food and service at the main restaurants, Silk, Chic, American Icon and The Grande, is varied and offers an array of experiences. Anthem provides 200 seats more than Quantum among its main dining rooms. Additionally, more waiters have been assigned to address complaints about service. Each of the four main restaurants already has two versions of the menu, with regional dishes also been added.
Follows the complete list of Anthem of the Seas restaurants and food bars.
- The Grande (one of the four dining rooms; offers DreamWorks themed breakfast, two fixed dinner seatings and "My Time Dining")
- Chic Restaurant (one of the four dining rooms)
- American Icon Grill (one of the four dining rooms)
- The Silk (Asian cuisine, one of the four dining rooms)
- La Patisserie (specialty coffee and teas bar; offers fresh-made pastries and sweets)
- Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine
- Johnny Rockets (fast food restaurant, complimentary)
- Windjammer Marketplace buffet restaurant (offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Chops Grille (steakhouse/seafood)
- Chef’s Table (14-guest capacity, gourmet private dining package)
- Sorrento’s (Italian restaurant)
- Jamie's Italian Restaurant (menu, deck 5) is a 132-seat specialty trattoria restaurant (at surcharge USD 30 pp dinner, USD 20 pp lunch / seadays only) via partnership with British celebrity chef Jamie Oliver,
- Izumi (73-seat Asian/Japanese restaurant)
- The Cafe @ Two70° (casual dining marketplace)
- Coastal Kitchen (Suite passengers only restaurant)
- Solarium Bistro (healthy dining menu, ex-“Devinly Decadence”)
- SeaPlex Dog House (complimentary)
- Anthem was the first Quantum-class ship on which in 2017 was introduced the new Royal Caribbean specialty dining package.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The Quantum-class ship Anthem of the Seas comes with all prepared innovations like a skydiving simulator and the North Star, a jewel-shaped glass capsule rising 300 feet above sea level and allowing 360-degree views from high above the ship. Anthem also impressed with innovative bumper cars and Bionic Bar with 2 bartending "robots" that mix up cocktails ordered via tablet. Only two ships at sea, Anthem and her sister, Quantum, feature skydiving simulation. If you love adventure, iFly by RipCord is a must-try. The first "flight" for every passenger is free. Each passengers is fitted with goggles, helmet and jumpsuit before jumping into the chamber (1-min sessions).
The Royal Theater hosts the major production show onboard the Anthem, "We Will Rock You", a 90-minute musical which sets Queen's greatest hits to a story set in the future. The result is an exceptional show and spectacular event that makes everyone want to sing and dance along. The Anthem cruise ship boasts with the DreamWorks Experience - a themed programming in partnership with the Walt Disney Company. This new entertainment program is aimed at families and offers movies-themed DreamWorks activities on select RCI ships within the fleet. The list of special activities includes characters meet and greets (of course, plus photo ops).
Follows the complete list of Anthem of the Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Royal Theater (1299-seat, features 3D Movies, aerial acrobatic performances and Broadway-style productions)
- Music Hall (2-deck high live entertainment venue)
- Two70° Lounge (3-deck high relaxation observation lounge with live entertainment)
- Photo Gallery and Shop; SeaTrek Shop (diving equipment)
- Diamond Club Lounge and Bar (past guests only); Concierge Club and Lounge (suite- and past guests only); Card Room
- Brass and Bock Pub (former Michael’s Genuine Pub), Bionic Bar, NorthStar Bar
- The Via (an area between the boutique shops and restaurants on deck 5; with the Vintages wine bar, Port Merchants and Jamie’s)
- Casino Royale
- Outdoor Movie Screen
- Cafe Promenade (24-hour; serves snacks and drinks, as well as Starbucks specialty coffee)
- Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center
- Solarium lounge (includes Solarium Cafe, pool bar and adults only pool area); Solarium Bar
- Video Games Arcade; The Living Room and Night Club teen areas; Royal Babies and Tots Nursery; Adventure Ocean kids lounge area; Workshop (family venue); H2O Zone family and kids area
- SeaPlex (sports complex, with roller skating, bumper cars, circus school, full-sized basketball court); North Star; FlowRider (surf simulator); RipCord by iFly; Jogging Track; Rock-climbing Wall.
Anthem of the Seas wiki
- Cabin grades number: 43
- Total number of cabins: 2090 (of which 194 Suites, 1570 Balcony rooms, 373 Interior, 28 studios /single occupancy)
- Dining Rooms: no (new concept - "Dynamic Dining")
- Restaurants and food bars: 25 onboard dining options total (of which 14 complimentary), The Grande, Chic, Sorrento’s (pizzeria), Silk (Asian), Jamie’s (Italian), Izumi (Japanese), Windjammer (buffet), American Icon Grill, Coastal Kitchen (Mediterranean), Wonderland, Johnny Rockets (fastfood), Chops Grille (steakhouse), Cafe @ Two70, Solarium Bistro, Cafe Promenade, Dog House (burgers).
- Lounges & Bars (35 bars and cafes total): Anthem, Music Hall, Diamond, Concierge, Two70, Michael’s (pub), North Star, kids (Adventure Ocean), teens (Living Room, Night Club, Arcade), poolside bars.
- Amenities: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Youth programs (Adventure Ocean, Royal Babies, Royal Tots, Dream Works experience), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
- Adult-only relaxation area (Solarium), Spa (Vitality), Nursery, 10 jacuzzis (2 are cantilevered), 4 pools, Water Park, Outdoor Theater, Rock Climbing Wall, FlowRider (onboard surfing).
- Anthem ship is RCI's second Quantum-class vessel. Her one year older "so very much WOW" sister is Quantum of the Seas and also Ovation of the Seas (2016). Quantum-class ships project started under the name "Project Sunshine".
- February 11, 2011, the vessel’s order (coded “Project Sunshine”) was announced by the shipowner Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL). The vessel represents a new passenger cruise ship class of all three ships, the first of which (named Quantum Of The Seas) was delivered in 2014. The third vessel of this class was named Ovation Of The Seas, and scheduled for launch in April 2016.
- February 29, 2012, RCCL announced the Anthem ship’s order, with scheduled launch in 2015.
- January 31, 2013, the new class of RCI ships was officially named “Quantum Class”. On this day were also officially announced the names of the first two vessels – Quantum and Anthem.
- On February 10, 2014, Royal Caribbean announced that Anthem of the Seas itinerary program will feature a total of 19 European cruises (in Mediterranean Sea) visiting the riviera regions of Spain, France and Italy, and also the Canaries.
- February 21, 2015, the vessel was floated out at Meyer Weft shipyard. Followed outfitting and the conveyance on River Ems to North Sea / Baltic Sea for sea trials.
- On April 20, 2015, was the vessel's christening ceremony held in port Southampton, England. The ship's godmother is Emma Wilby - an UK cruise travel agent working for Thomson UK (Marella). She was chosen via an RCI held competition.
- Anthem's "Inaugural Cruise" started on April 22, 2015. The 8-day roundtrip itinerary from Southampton England visited ports in France and Spain, with feature call on Le Havre-Paris. On April 18, there was a "Pre-Inaugural" 2-day cruise to nowhere from Southampton (roundtrip itinerary without any ports of call).
- In May 2017, Philippa Charlotte Middleton (the younger sister of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge / wife of Prince William) was given her own suite on the ship for her honeymoon with James Matthews. The couple married on May 20, 2017. Royal Caribbean specifically designed the themed "Pippa Suite" (adjacent to the ship's Royal Loft Suite (deck 9). Pipa Suite had blue plush furnishings, with lilac throws and cushions. The suite as amenities offered a sunrise yoga station, smoothie machine, golden goose ornaments, Royal Genie buttler service (dedicated Principal of British Butler Institute-trained staff). The royal couple was on a Southern Caribbean itinerary roundtrip from NYC to St Lucia Island, Barbados and Antigua. After the Anthem cruise, the couple flew to St Barts on James' private jet.
The list of the Quantum-class new features includes:
- "virtual balcony cabins" - Inside cabins with floor-to-ceiling high-definition TVscreen for a real-time oceanview
- Bionic Bar (capacity 2 drinks per minute) uses 2 robotic arms to prepare mixed beverages (muddled, stirred, shaken and strained). Those can be ordered via app (tablets or smartphones). Orders are displayed on large LED screens around the bar. The robotic bartenders use 30 different spirits and 21 mixers (8 sodas, 6 juices, 3 syrups, sugar, mint, limes, lemons).
- Two70° 3-decks high lounge (with cafe, ice bar, used for cirque productions and as disco club at night)
- SeaPlex (full-size basketball court, roller-skating arena, bumper cars)
- "RipCord by iFLY" (skydiving simulator) - height 23 ft / 7 m
- "NorthStar" - complimentary observation capsule on a rotating arm.
- vessel width: 162 ft (49 m), waterline width 136 ft (41 m)
- virtual balcony's LED screen is 80-inch 4K (ultra high-definition)
- jogging track length 436 ft (133 m)
- North Star's height is 300 ft (92 m) and turns every 15 min.
- SeaPlex' bumper cars are 15
- On each voyage, the ship is loaded with fresh fruit (25 tons), fresh vegetables (36 tons), fish (10 tons), eggs (79,000), still water (22,200 L), sparkling water (12,000 L).
- In the vessel's construction were used 37,000 tons of steel, 346 tons of glass. It took 41,600 man hours to build it.
- Engines / power: two Wartsila diesels (type 12V46F, power output 14400 kW each), two Wartsila diesels (type 16V46F, power output 19200 kW each), two Caterpillar engines (type 3516C HD (power output 2500 kW each)
- Diesel-electric propulsion: two ABB thrusters (type Azipod XO, power output 20,5 MW each), plus four Brunvoll bow thrusters (type FU115, power output 3500 kW each)
- A signature feature of the vessel is the top-deck located giant Giraffe statue (named Gigi) with weight 4 tons.
- All Quantum-class ships don't have the top-deck Viking Crown observation lounge and the ice skating rink. There are also differences in the Royal Promenade (shopping mall area). Entertainment options are brand new, with many "firsts at sea" present in the line's brochures.
Anthem of the Seas - user reviews and comments
Photos of Anthem of the SeasAdd Photo
Anthem of the Seas ship related cruise news
A Coast Guard helicopter crew has rescued two cruise passengers on a Royal Caribbean ship heading back to Bayonne (Cape Liberty) out of Haiti Friday...August 19, 2018
A 48-year-old female passenger suffering from seizures has been evacuated from Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas ship off Sandy Hook Thursday...July 13, 2018
The Coast Guard on Friday, May 11, retrieved a New Jersey-bound cruise passenger from Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas ship, due to symptoms...May 12, 2018
A 71-year-old passenger in ill health has been rescued from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship Friday evening, April 27. The United States Coast Guard...April 28, 2018
The U.S. Coast Guard called off search for a passenger who jumped overboard from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship Friday afternoon, April 13. The 24...April 14, 2018
On Tuesday, February 6, Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas which was sailing from St Kitts to Bayonne, New Jersey, had to divert to Bermuda to...February 9, 2018
The NYPD Aviation Unit have come to the rescue of a cruise passenger onboard Anthem of the Seas Friday afternoon, January 19. The unit has been...January 20, 2018
A cruise passenger was airlifted to South Jersey hospital early today, July 30, the U.S.C.G. reported. The Coast Guard was notified at around 11:15...July 30, 2017
Passengers aboard Anthem of the Seas received a letter in their staterooms from the Captain, that indicated a propulsion problem had caused an...March 30, 2017
New footage inside Royal Caribbean ship which ran into high winds and rough seas in the Atlantic last year has emerged. The video shows a...March 13, 2017
- show more news
Other Royal Caribbean cruise ships
Anthem of the Seas Itineraries
The below listed Anthem of the Seas cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Jun 23||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York|
|2018 Jul 12||9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean||New York|
|2018 Aug 09||9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean||New York|
|2018 Aug 18||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York|
|2018 Aug 23||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$7099|
|2018 Sep 01||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$619|
|2018 Sep 06||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$979|
|2018 Sep 15||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$649|
|2018 Sep 20||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$929|
|2018 Sep 29||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$569|
|2018 Oct 04||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$979|
|2018 Oct 13||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$579|
|2018 Oct 18||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$924|
|2018 Oct 27||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$999|
|2018 Nov 03||7 days, round-trip Bermuda & Boston||New York||$749|
|2018 Nov 10||7 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$799|
|2018 Nov 17||8 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$949|
|2018 Nov 25||11 days, round-trip Eastern Caribbean||New York||$949|
|2018 Dec 06||4 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$599|
|2018 Dec 10||11 days, round-trip Eastern Caribbean||New York||$799|
|2018 Dec 21||8 days, round-trip Bahamas Holiday||New York||$1234|
|2018 Dec 29||8 days, round-trip Bahamas Holiday||New York||$1224|
|2019 Jan 06||12 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||New York||$1149|
|2019 Jan 18||8 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$749|
|2019 Jan 26||8 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$749|
|2019 Feb 03||12 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||New York||$1288|
|2019 Feb 15||8 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$899|
|2019 Feb 23||8 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$899|
|2019 Mar 03||12 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||New York||$1389|
|2019 Mar 15||8 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$769|
|2019 Mar 23||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$749|
|2019 Mar 30||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$814|
|2019 Apr 06||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$824|
|2019 Apr 13||7 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$849|
|2019 Apr 20||7 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$949|
|2019 Apr 27||7 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$899|
|2019 May 04||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$749|
|2019 May 09||9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean||New York||$994|
|2019 May 18||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$769|
|2019 May 23||9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean||New York||$974|
|2019 Jun 01||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$749|
|2019 Jun 06||9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean||New York||$979|
|2019 Jun 15||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$869|
|2019 Jun 20||9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean||New York||$1249|
|2019 Jun 29||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$969|
|2019 Jul 04||9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean||New York||$1374|
|2019 Jul 13||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$969|
|2019 Jul 18||9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean||New York||$1374|
|2019 Jul 27||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$899|
|2019 Aug 01||9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean||New York||$1249|
|2019 Aug 10||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$899|
|2019 Aug 15||9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean||New York||$1249|
|2019 Aug 24||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$849|
|2019 Aug 29||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$899|
|2019 Sep 07||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$649|
|2019 Sep 12||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$899|
|2019 Sep 21||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$599|
|2019 Sep 26||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$899|
|2019 Oct 05||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$599|
|2019 Oct 10||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$919|
|2019 Oct 19||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$599|
|2019 Oct 24||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$898|
|2019 Nov 02||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$699|
|2019 Nov 09||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$699|
|2019 Nov 16||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$749|
|2019 Nov 23||8 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$779|
|2019 Dec 01||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$679|
|2019 Dec 08||12 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||New York||$1199|
|2019 Dec 20||8 days, round-trip Bahamas Holiday||New York||$1174|
|2019 Dec 28||8 days, round-trip Bahamas Holiday||New York||$1124|
|2020 Jan 05||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||New York||$1099|
|2020 Jan 16||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||New York||$1099|
|2020 Jan 27||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||New York||$1099|
|2020 Feb 07||8 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$699|
|2020 Feb 15||8 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$799|
|2020 Feb 23||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$679|
|2020 Mar 01||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$679|
|2020 Mar 08||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$649|
|2020 Mar 15||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$649|
|2020 Mar 22||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$649|
|2020 Mar 29||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$999|
|2020 Apr 05||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$749|