Specifications of Wonder Of The Seas
|Year built||2022 new ship|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||EUR 1,2 billion (USD 1,35 billion)|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Operator||Royal Caribbean International|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||362 m / 1188 ft|
|Beam (width)||47 m / 154 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||228081 gt|
|Passengers||5518 - 6370|
|Decks with cabins||11|
|Sister-ships||Allure OTS, Harmony OTS, Oasis OTS, Symphony OTS|
Wonder Of The Seas Review
Review of Wonder Of The Seas
Wonder of the Seas is the third "Oasis-Plus" class liner, with sisterships Harmony OTS (2016), Symphony OTS (2018) and TBN OTS (2023). The Royal Caribbean Wonder ship just slightly exceeds in size the original Oasis-class passenger liners Oasis OTS (2009) and Allure OTS (2010). The vessel has a building cost of USD 1,35 billion (2019 shiporder rates).
Wonder OTS is the 14th vessel delivered to Royal Caribbean by the French shipbuilding company Chantiers de l'Atlantique (St Nazaire, France), and RCI fleet's 28th liner.
In mid-July 18, 2020, the shipowner Royal Caribbean Group (via its subsidiary Royal Caribbean Cruises Asia) announced that due to delayed delivery from the shipbuilder, Wonder OTS' China debut (planned for 2022-Q1) is postponed "until further notice". When completed, Wonder OTS will be the world's ever-biggest cruise ship (preceding the current-largest Symphony OTS) and also the first Oasis-Class liner deployed year-round in Asia (Shanghai-homeported).
History - construction and ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is a US shipping company, trademarked brand and subsidiary owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL, shipowner). RCI was established in 1968 and currently has over 1/5 of the worldwide cruise market. RCI also has RCCL's largest fleet as both numbers of vessels and GT tonnage (ship sizes and capacities). All Royal Caribbean liners have names ending with "of the Seas".
The 6360-passenger ship Wonder OTS comprises 7 neighborhoods - Royal Promenade, Central Park, Boardwalk, Entertainment Zone, Sports Zone, Youth Center complex, Wellness complex. Wonder and Symphony are currently the world's largest passenger ships - with GT tonnage 228,100 tons (or 1000+ tons larger than Harmony OTS). Wonder also has 28 more staterooms, the new RCI "Family Suite" (2-level / on 2 decks), redesigned Boardwalk area.
In comparison to the other Oasis-Class sisterships, Wonder, Harmony, and Symphony are heavier (by over 1700 tons), 3 meters wider, able to accommodate 100 more passengers. Wonder is nearly 330 ft (101 m) longer than RMS Titanic and 165 ft (50 m) longer than Eiffel Tower (Paris City). The liner has several promenades, two FlowRiders, two rock-climbing walls, ice-skating rink, world's largest theatre at sea. "The Ultimate Abyss" waterslide swings down 10 decks, at over 150 ft (46 m) above sea level.
The next YouTube video shows the most prominent features and the shipbuilding process of Oasis 3 class - the world's ever largest cruise liners.
Wonder OTS features a multi-deck waterslide area that was introduced first on Harmony OTS. It is also the third Oasis-class liner with robot bartenders serving drinks (Bionic Bar) - a concept first introduced in 2014 on Quantum of the Seas. Wonder has bigger cabins than Allure and Oasis (in some categories) and windowless interior cabins (Virtual Balconies) offering real-time views (first introduced in 2014 on Navigator of the Seas).
Wonder's Suite passengers benefit from exclusive new areas including a suite lounge, a private restaurant called Coastal Kitchen and full-service Suite Sun Zone. New restaurants include the Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine eatery which first debuted on Quantum. Also added to Wonder is the new Mexican restaurant El Loco Fresh.
Cruise itinerary program
Wonder of the Seas itinerary program is to be on a later date. What is known so far (for sure) is that the liner will be deployed year-round in the Asia Pacific region. This is also the first Oasis-class liner to be specifically designed for the cruise travel market in China. Departures will be roundtrips from homeport Shanghai (China).
With delivery and inaugural cruise season planned for 2022-Q1, Wonder OTS could be also seasonally deployed in the Southern Pacific Ocean (Australia and New Zealand), with relocation itineraries (RepositionCruises.com) via Singapore.
Decks and Cabins
Wonder Of The Seas staterooms (2747 total, in 41 categories) include 200 Suites, 1828 Balcony, 180 Oceanview, 98 Interior View and 498 Interior, including 720 adjoining/family cabins and 46 wheelchair-accessible (ADA accommodations). Most cabins are sized 170-180 ft2 (16-17 m2). Most cabin balconies are sized 50 ft2 (5 m2). The largest are the Royal Loft Suites (1520 ft2 / 141 m2 duplex suites with 845 ft2 / 79 m2 terrace).
The boat has 18 decks, of which 16 are passenger-accessible and 11 with cabins.
The Ultimate Family Suite is unique for RCI "loft suite" featuring a slide (from the kids bedroom down to the living room), floor-ceiling LEGO wall, hidden nooks for a chilling, air-hockey table. A 3D movie theatre-style TV room is fitted with a popcorn machine and a library of video games. The 210 ft2 wraparound balcony has a bumper pool table, kids climbers and a full-size whirlpool. The largest and most-fun Family Suite at sea accommodates up to 8 passengers.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Wonder OTS' 3-tiered dining room, the Quantum is designed as three separate restaurants situated on different decks - American Icon Grill (Deck 3), The Grand (Deck 4) and The Chic (Deck 5). Wonder also includes some Quantum restaurants, such as Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine, Coastal Kitchen. Ship's Bionic Bar is famous for its dancing robot bartenders. Its location is on the Royal Promenade. Izumi Teppanyaki Restaurant features a la carte hibachi, teppanyaki and sushi menu. A total of 25 onboard dining options (14 complimentary, including room-service) are available to choose from.
Follows the complete list of Wonder of the Seas restaurants and food bars.
- American Icon Grill (a la carte restaurant which offers open seating breakfast, lunch, "Brasserie 30" menu; with two assigned dinner seatings and Private Dining area.)
- The Grande Restaurant (serves themed breakfasts and dinners / two fixed seatings and "My Time Dining")
- Chic (features an expansive menu of dinner options; two seatings and "My Time Dining" program)
- Johnny Rockets (128-seat fast food restaurant, complimentary)
- Windjammer Marketplace buffet restaurant (offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Jamie's Italian Restaurant (menu, deck 8) is a 132-seat specialty trattoria restaurant (at surcharge USD 30 pp dinner, USD 20 pp lunch/sea days only) via a partnership with British celebrity chef Jamie Oliver,
- El Loco Fresh restaurant (offers fresh-made Mexican favourites. It is located in the Sports Zone and replaces Mini Bites (on Harmony OTS)
- Hooked Seafood is a specialty restaurant (in the Solarium) offering fresh seafood and a raw bar.
- Sugar Beach Candy and Ice Cream (replaces the retail outlets on Johnny Rockets side of the ship's Boardwalk)
- Playmakers Sports Bar and Arcade (located on Boardwalk neighbourhood it spans the entire length of Boardwalk neighbourhood. Playmakers take the place of where Sabor and Starbucks are on Harmony of the Seas. Starbucks opens on the Royal Promenade, available during European season only)
- Chops Grille (steakhouse/seafood)
- Sorrento's (Italian restaurant)
- Izumi Teppanyaki (Asian/Japanese restaurant for hibachi-style dining)
- Solarium Bistro (healthy dining)
- Coastal Kitchen (Grand Suites and above passengers, Pinnacle members)
- WipeOut Cafe (fast food bar)
- Boardwalk Dog House (complimentary)
- Park Cafe (deli bar, casual-dining)
- Mini Bites casual eatery.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The new Wonder of the Seas ship is a novelty mixture of Oasis-class deck layout and Quantum-class innovations. The brand-new additions include the first-ever Royal Caribbean waterslides created by ADE (Aquatic Design and Engineering); climbing play area for kids; Suite Sun Zone; Starbucks coffee bar and classic video games arcade located in the Boardwalk neighbourhood; 15 Studio cabins designed for solo travellers. Among the new technologies on the Royal Caribbean's Wonder of the Seas are the RFID wristbands or "WOWbands" - an optional choice to replace the SeaPass cards, allowing passengers to do purchases onboard and to access their cabins. Typically for RCI, the wristbands are offered complimentary to all passengers.
When arriving in the port, passengers can use their mobile phones to check-in and board the cruise ship via just a security checkpoint between the ship and the curb. The new process leverages a combination of bar codes, beacons, and facial recognition, to make boarding fast. Guests check-in via the new mobile app of the brand.
New Broadway-style musical productions and live show programming will be developed exclusively for the Wonder OTS ship and Royal Caribbean's Chinese customers. Among the onboard amenities are complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, supervised Youth Program for children of different age groups (Voyagers 9-11 yo, Explorers 6-8 yo, Aquanauts 3-5 yo), Royal Babies and Tots (complimentary nursery for toddlers 6 months to 3 years), shipwide Internet (WiFi access), self-serve laundry rooms.
Follows the complete list of Wonder of the Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Royal Theater (capacity 1401 seats) offers 3D movies, aerial acrobatic performances and Broadway-style productions like Hairspray, Tony Award-winning Broadway hit, and Flight, one-of-a-kind show taking guests through the history and future of flying and the evolution of air travel which ends with a homage to the famous Wright Brothers)
- Studio B Lounge (indoor ice-skating rink; also serves as a spot for ice shows, cooking demos, game parties; 1977 is a spectacular adventure on ice taking ice-surface video projection technology to a brand new level, pushing the limits of what's possible technologically; Laser Tag is a state-of-the-art and special effects ultimate laser tag arena to battle over the fate of the galaxy's last planet)
- AquaTheatre (2-deck, 600-seat, with a deep pool; HiRo is a new show combining cutting-edge technology, aerial acrobatic stunts and future-forward choreography.
- Entertainment Place nightclub; "The Attic" Comedy Club; Diamond Club Lounge and Bar (past guests only); Jazz on 4 Bar and Club; On Air Club (karaoke bar); Boleros Latin Bar and Lounge; Boot and Bonnet Pub; Rising Tide Bar (moving cocktail bar); Bionic Bar; Schooner Bar (piano bar); Starbucks Bar; Sabor Taqueria and Tequila Bar; Vintages (wine bar); Trellis Bar; Rising Tide Bar; Dazzles (2-deck music and dancing lounge); Suite Sun Deck, Bar and Lounge; Sky Bar
- Escape Room: Puzzle Break experience, where teams race against the clock and work toward escaping the submarine-themed room before their time runs out.
- Art Gallery; Focus Photo Gallery and Shop
- Boardwalk neighbourhood (with games and attractions)
- Central Park (outdoor area with live plants)
- Carousel (with handcrafted wooden figures)
- Casino Royale; Card Room
- Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center; 9 jacuzzis (2 cantilevered); 4 pools
- Royal Promenade Boutiques (perfumes, jewelry, duty-free alcohol, general store, logo/souvenirs)
- Solarium lounge (includes Solarium Cafe, pool bar and adults-only pool area); Solarium Bar
- Video Games Arcade; Explorers, Aquanatus, Adventure Science Lab; The Living Room and Night Club teen areas; Fuel Teen Disco; Royal Babies and Tots Nursery; Adventure Ocean kids lounge area; Kids Avenue; Workshop (family venue); H2O Zone family and kids area
- Sports Court (basketball, volleyball, soccer; tennis tables); FlowRiders (surf simulators); Zip Line (82 ft/25 m); Jogging Track; Rock-climbing Walls; Wonder Dunes Mini Golf.
- The ship has a total of 19 pools.
(NEW) Unique shipboard features
RCI Wonder and Symphony ships have some unique features not currently available on the other Oasis-class ships. These brand new for Royal Caribbean venues were revealed in October 2017 (during the vessel's construction) and include:
- "Ultimate Family Suite" is a new cabin type (8-passenger, 2-bedroom loft suite sized 125 m2 / 1350 ft2) featuring exclusive / in-cabin slide from the kids bedroom (upper level) down to the living room (lower level), floor-ceiling LEGO wall, air-hockey table, 2 hanging egg swing chairs, separate TV room (3D movies, popcorn machine, media library, video gaming consoles with games), large wraparound balcony (sized 20 m2 / 210 ft2, fitted with bumper pool table, small climbing wall, full-size whirlpool).
- "Hooked Seafood" - New England-style seafood specialty restaurant for lunch and dinner. It is located in the Solarium complex (forward on Pool Deck 15) and offers fresh seafood and also has a raw bar where raw shucked oysters can be ordered.
- "El Loco Fresh" is a Mexican restaurant (capacity over 100 seats) offering fresh-made favourites. It is located in Sports Zone (Pool Deck 15) replacing "Mini Bites" (food bar on Harmony OTS). El Loco Fresh offers Mexican fare with fresh-made mole sauce and salsa verde, made-to-order burritos and tacos.
- "Playmakers Sports Bar and Arcade" has 30 large-sized TVs for watching live sporting events, as well as a video games section fitted with arcade machines. The sports bar/arcade is located on Deck 6 (Boardwalk). It spans the neighbourhood's entire length and takes the place of Sabor and Starbucks (on Harmony OTS). Starbucks was relocated on Deck 5 (Royal Promenade). Playmakers Sports Bar menu offers fast-food classics like chicken wings, burgers, popcorn shrimp, sliders, sundaes.
- "Sugar Beach Candy and Ice Cream" is a premium shop for sweet treats located on Deck 6 (Boardwalk). The shop has colorful walls packed with candies, premium ice-cream, a huge variety of toppings and also offers family-friendly activities and workshops. Sugar Beach replaced "Johnny Rockets" (fast-food bar).
- "Battle for Planet Z" / Laser Tag experience) is available at "Studio B" complex (Deck 3) and offers glow-in-the-dark laser tag gaming with top-notch special effects.
- "Escape Room" (submarine-themed, located on Boardwalk Deck 6) provides puzzle breaking the team gaming experience.
- On Deck 15 are installed three 24-hour, self-service vending machines (by Pharmabox Franchise). They allow purchasing of select merchandise, including Tech Shop (electronics, gadgets, batteries, headphones, walkie-talkies, Nintendo 3DS gaming consoles), Splash Store (sunscreens, skincare products, swim accessories) and Health Essentials Store (toiletries, medicines).
Note: Wonder OTS' Asian-themed food bars, specialty restaurants and unique lounges (as names and menus/amenities) are yet to be announced. Among the ship's show productions could be the Symphony OTS-introduced musicals:
- "1977 "(at Studio B / ice-rink theater) - themed on time travelling and dimension-jumping, with Panasonic-developed video projection technology
- "Flight - Dare to Dream" (at Royal Theater) - themed on the history of flying, featuring 3D video and automation technologies
- "Hairspray" (at Royal Theater) - themed on the Broadway musical
- "HiRo" (at Aqua Theater) - themed on heroes combat fighting, with high-flying acrobatics, diving and extreme-sport stunts.
Wonder Of The Seas - user reviews and comments
Photos of Wonder Of The SeasAdd Photo
Wonder Of The Seas ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
On October 23, 2020, RCG-Royal Caribbean Group filed 4 trademarks with the US Patent and Trademark Office. Vue Bar (October 23) under the category...October 29, 2020
- Cruise Industry
On Saturday morning, September 5, at 7 am, the world's largest cruise ship - RCI-Royal Caribbean International's Wonder of the Seas - was...September 5, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The construction of the world's biggest cruise ship was delayed. Citing the impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the future shipowner...July 20, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The next Royal Caribbean's Oasis Class cruise ship will be named Wonder of the Seas. The world's newest largest passenger liner is scheduled for year...October 12, 2019
- show more news
Other Royal Caribbean cruise ships
Wonder Of The Seas Wiki
Wonder OTS is Royal Caribbean Group's 5th Oasis-class liner, with sisterships Harmony, Oasis, Allure and Symphony. These are currently the world's biggest passenger liners ever constructed. RCCL planned ship's cost per berth to be lower compared to Allure and Oasis. Like the sisterships, Wonder OTS has telescoping funnels to be able to sail under bridges. Unlike the original/smaller Oasis-class ships, Wonder has no Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine (speciality restaurant) and 150 Central Park (dinner-only speciality restaurant), while the adult-only Solarium complex has a swimming pool and 2 additional whirlpools.
The following aerial photo shows an Oasis-class vessel (as looked from above).
The vessel's official steel-cutting ceremony was held on April 24, 2019. The keel-laying ceremony (with which officially started the vessel's construction) was on October 10, 2019, held at Chantiers de l'Atlantique Shipyard in Saint-Nazaire (STX France). A 65x155 ft (20x47 m), 970-ton keel block (part of the midship hull section) was lifted by a 1400-ton gantry crane and placed into the shipyard's building dock. During the ceremony, under the first hull block were placed newly minted coins - to stay there until the end of the ship's construction. The steel-cutting ceremony was attended by Joseph Pineau (RCCL's Director Newbuilds), Beatrice Siri (RCCL's Associate VP, Architectural Design and Outfitting), Jean-Yves Jaouen (shipyard's SVP Operations), Florence Mauduit (shipyard's Oasis Contract Director) and Laurent Castaing (shipyard's General Manager).
On February 18, 2019, RCI signed a shipbuilding order with Chantiers de l'Atlantique for a 6th Oasis-class liner (planned delivery 2023-Q4). This will be shipyard's 23rd vessel built for Royal Caribbean.
Next RCI official YouTube video shows Oasis-Plus ships' fun statistics and best features.
The cruise ship was launched (floated out from drydock) on September 5, 2020. The complex operation started at ~at 7 am. With the assistance of 7 tugboats, the engines-free vessel was moved from shipbuilding yard's Basin B to Basin C. The 500-m (1640-ft) long maneuvering was completed in ~1 hour.
Wonder OTS is the third Oasis-Class passenger liner built by STX France - after Harmony OTS (2016) and Symphony OTS (2018). A fourth vessel (TBN OTS) is currently on order and planned for inauguration in 2023-Q4.
All Royal Caribbean Oasis-class ships are the world's first cruise vessels with a DNV Green Passport. This is a key element for the Clean Ship Design certificate. The certificate is not compulsory, but it shows the environmental commitment of the operator line Royal Caribbean International. Another interesting feature is that the hulls have a special non-toxic covering that minimizes friction and saves fuel.
Follows a list of fun facts about the RCI Wonder cruise ship - world's largest ever built:
- Ultimate Abyss slide is at 150 ft (45,70 m) above sea level, featuring 31 sections, two 360-degree circles, 27-degree slide incline, a 28 m (92 ft) serpentine-like drop, 13,14 seconds average sliding time (top to bottom), around 300 small LED lights and graffiti artworks.
- Aquatheater has two diving boards installed 10 m (33 ft) above its swimming pool.
- The ship was constructed out of 500,000 individual pieces (27 times the pieces used for the Eiffel Tower's construction).
- The ship's art collection has more works than the Louvre museum (in Paris) has paintings. The onboard art's worth is over USD 6,5 million.
- The ship has a total of 23 "water areas" (swimming pools, large-size outdoor jacuzzies, waterslides, flowriders).
- The ship has 20 restaurants and offers over 300 individual menu options. Eight speciality restaurants offer over 200 different dishes daily. Total restaurant seating is 4908 seats.
- The onboard bars menus have a total of 127 speciality cocktails, in addition to all the classics.
- Each day are made 110,000 ice cubes.
- Each day are consumed 480,000 gallons (1,87 million litres) of freshwater.
- Daily food consumption statistics show chicken (9,730 lbs / 4,4 tons), eggs (10,000), beef (15,000 lbs / 6,8 tons), ice cream (700 lbs / 320 kg), baking potatoes (20,000 lbs / 9,1 tons), flour (12,600 lbs / 5,7 tons), salmon (2500 lbs / 1,1 tons), french fries (5000 lbs / 2,3 tons), bacon (5300 lbs / 2,4 tons), limes (800 lbs / 360 kg), pineapple (4000 lbs / 1,8 tons), oranges (5000 lbs / 2,3 tons), lemons (1000 lbs / 450 kg), cherries (40 jars), olives (20 jars).
- The ship's food and drinks dedicated staff are 1056 in total, including 249 (culinary), 184 (beverage), 91 (kitchen stewards).
- The ship weighs more than 17,000 African elephants. Note: Male elephants weigh between 10,360 - 13,330 lbs (4,7 - 6 tons).
- Around 2350 tons of water is needed to be filled all the ship's 23 water facilities (swimming pools, jacuzzis, 2 FlowRiders, waterslides, the aqua park Splashaway Bay).
In September 2018, RCCL trademarked the Oasis-Class ships smokestack area (located top-deck midship). The design features a crown-shaped bottom section with 2 slanted funnels above. In October 2018 was trademarked ship's oblong-shaped stern. The design features AquaTheater Suites (with balconies), Ultimate Abyss (2 cascading waterslides) and RCCL's logo.
Wonder Of The Seas User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review