Independence Of The Seas current position
Specifications of Independence Of The Seas
|Year built||2008 / Age: 12|
|Builder||Aker Yards (Turku, STX Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 830 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Operator||Royal Caribbean International|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||338 m / 1109 ft|
|Beam (width)||56 m / 184 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||154407 gt|
|Passengers||3630 - 4356|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Sister-ships||Freedom OTS, Liberty OTS|
|Christened by||Elizabeth Hill|
Independence Of The Seas Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Sep 19||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Perfect Day||$349|
|2020 Sep 24||4 days, round-trip Bahamas Perfect Day Cruise||$440|
|2020 Sep 28||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Perfect Day||$354|
|2020 Oct 03||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Perfect Day||Fort Lauderdale||$429|
|2020 Oct 08||4 days, round-trip Bahamas Perfect Day Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$439|
|2020 Oct 12||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Perfect Day||Fort Lauderdale||$429|
|2020 Oct 17||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Perfect Day||$419|
|2020 Oct 22||4 days, round-trip Bahamas Perfect Day Cruise||$399|
|2020 Oct 26||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Perfect Day||$409|
|2020 Oct 31||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Perfect Day||$439|
|2020 Nov 05||4 days, round-trip Bahamas Perfect Day Cruise||$411|
|2020 Nov 09||5 days, round-trip Ubersoca Cruise I||Fort Lauderdale|
|2020 Nov 14||5 days, round-trip Ubersoca Cruise II|
|2020 Nov 19||7 days, round-trip Eastern Caribbean Perfect Day||$652|
|2020 Nov 26||4 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$551|
|2020 Nov 30||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$685|
|2020 Dec 05||5 days, round-trip Welcome To Jamrock Reggae Cruise||Fort Lauderdale|
|2020 Dec 10||4 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||$329|
|2020 Dec 14||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$449|
|2020 Dec 19||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||$826|
|2020 Dec 24||4 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||$662|
|2020 Dec 28||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||$1028|
|2021 Jan 02||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$438|
|2021 Jan 07||4 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||$606|
|2021 Jan 11||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$438|
|2021 Jan 16||8 days, round-trip The SuperCruise XIV||Fort Lauderdale|
|2021 Jan 24||6 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$446|
|2021 Feb 04||4 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||$400|
|2021 Feb 08||5 days, round-trip Monsters Of Rock Cruise|
|2021 Feb 13||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$515|
|2021 Feb 18||4 days, round-trip Rock Legends Cruise IX|
|2021 Feb 22||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||$459|
|2021 Feb 27||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$459|
|2021 Mar 04||4 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||$410|
|2021 Mar 08||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$456|
|2021 Mar 13||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$475|
|2021 Mar 18||4 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$410|
|2021 Mar 22||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||$494|
|2021 Mar 27||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$512|
|2021 Apr 01||4 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$428|
|2021 Apr 05||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$459|
|2021 Apr 10||5 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Cruise||Fort Lauderdale||$449|
Independence Of The Seas Review
Review of Independence Of The Seas
History - construction and ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is a US company, trademarked brand, and subsidiary owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL, shipowner). RCI was established in 1968 and currently has over 1/5 of the worldwide cruise market. RCI also has RCCL's largest fleet as both numbers of vessels and GT tonnage (ship sizes and capacities). All Royal Caribbean liners have names ending with "of the Seas".
The 154,407-ton, 3,634-passenger Independence of the Seas underwent a US$7 million upgrade in April 2013 as part of Royal Caribbean's bigger USD 300 million investment in the fleet. The new features included an Italian trattoria named Giovanni's Table, a cupcake shop and Royal Babies and Tots Nursery. The ship also got new digital signage, Wi-Fi throughout and a large poolside movie screen. An excellent addition is a digital wayfinding system, especially for first-time-cruisers who get lost on enormous ships like this one. They offer directions and maps to everywhere on the Independence using a board with a keypad on which passengers can enter their room numbers and find their way to the stateroom. There are also features displaying the menus for restaurants, entertainment options, and other facilities. The large quick responsive touch screen helps in navigation around the ship.
Cruise itinerary program
Independence Of The Seas has a total of 1815 cabins (of which 120 Suites, 724 Balcony rooms, 515 adjoining) in 28 grades. Most Independence of the Seas staterooms is 185-200-sq.foot balcony rooms and 160-sq.foot insides (557). 32 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Independence of the Seas are the Royal Suites (1360 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The three tiers of Independence's main dining room (Romeo and Juliet, Anthony and Cleopatra and Macbeth) offer assigned-seating dining with two sittings at 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m.), as well as My Time Dining, in which guests pick a preferred mealtime between 5:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., but are able to change reservations on a daily basis. Those who opt for My Time Dining have to pre-pay gratuities. The Windjammer Cafe, ship's lido buffet, offers flexibility and variety - best for families with kids. The Windjammer has one very long self-service line of cold and hot items, plus stations for salads, fresh sandwiches, pizza, carved meats, and petite desserts. An omelet station features made-to-order eggs in the mornings; in the afternoons, guests can try the area that specializes in Asian food and goes off the beaten path with changing fare including Vietnamese and Indonesian specialties.
Follows the complete list of Independence of the Seas restaurants and food bars.
- Romeo and Juliet Restaurant (652-seat aft Dining Room, level 1; features DreamWorks characters theme breakfast)
- During ship's 2018 "Royal Amplified" refurbishment, RCI added fleet's first "Fish and Ships" - poolside specialty restaurant (aft-portside on Lido Deck) offering a-la-carte priced seafood - including freshly battered cod, calamari, crispy hand-cut fries, cold brews. "Fish and Ships" replaced pool deck's Squeeze Bar.
- Izumi (Asian/Japanese restaurant)
- Anthony and Cleopatra Restaurant; Othello Restaurant (aft Dining Rooms, part of Romeo and Juliet)
- Macbeth Restaurant (500-seat aft Dining Room, level 2)
- King Lear Restaurant (883-seat aft Dining Room, level 3)
- Windjammer Cafe Lido buffet restaurant (774-seat, offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Chops Grille (104-seat specialty restaurant; reservations recommended)
- Giovanni’s Table (Italian specialty restaurant, reservations recommended)
- Johnny Rockets Restaurant (84-seat burger bar)
- Sorrento’s Pizzeria (79-seat complimentary restaurant)
- WipeOut Bar (20-seat complimentary burger bar)
- Sugar Beach Candy and Ice Cream Store.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Independence of the Seas has much to offer for children and youngsters - from kid-oriented amusement and enrichment to recreational options which range from surfing and body boarding to ice skating - which is a great choice for family cruisers. However, travelers are still going to find lots of zones for more mature pursuits. The fitness, boasting even a boxing ring, is great and always busy. Adults-only spots beyond bars and the casino range from the Solarium pool and boutique dining venues (that have a set age limit of fifteen) to a rather racy late-night comedy show. Independence of the Seas features the DreamWorks Experience - a themed programming in partnership with the Walt Disney Company. This new entertainment program is aimed at families and offers movies-themed DreamWorks activities on select RCI ships within the fleet. The list of special activities includes characters meet and greets (of course, plus photo ops).
Additional amenities include Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Youth program, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
Follows the complete list of Independence of the Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Alhambra Theatre (1320-seat, features grand production shows with dance, acrobatics, comedy, and games)
- Studio B Lounge (indoor ice-skating rink; also serves as a spot for ice shows, cooking demos, game parties)
- Photo Gallery and Shop; Art Gallery
- On Air Club (140-seat karaoke and sports bar); The Centrum (7-deck social hub, offers aerial acrobatics entertainment); Pyramid Lounge; Next Cruise Lounge; Concierge Club (suite and past guests only); Seven Hearts (card room); Diamond Club and Lounge; Viking Crown Lounge and Bar
- The Raven Gothic Bar; On Air Club (140-seat sports bar); Schooner Bar (112-seat piano bar); Boleros Lounge and Bar (77-seat Latin bar); Connoisseur Cigar Club and Bar; Dog and Badger English Pub; Vintages Bar (wine bar); Ben and Jerry’s Bar (ice cream parlor); Cupcake Cupboard Shop (bakery); Cafe Promenade (24-hour; serves snacks and drinks, as well as Starbucks specialty coffee); Champagne Bar; Sky Bar; The Plaza Bar; Olive or Twist Lounge and Martini Bar; Cloud 9 (24-seat sports bar)
- Casino Royale (447-seat)
- Royal Caribbean Online center (Internet computers room; 24-hour)
- Royal Promenade Boutiques (perfumes, jewelry, duty-free alcohol, general store, logo/souvenirs); SeaTrek (shop for diving equipment)
- Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center; 7 jacuzzis (2 are cantilevered); 3 pools
- Solarium lounge (includes Cafe Bar, pool bar and adults only pool area)
- Outdoor movie screen
- Challengers Video Games Arcade; Fuel Teen Disco club; The Living Room; Royal Babies and Tots Nursery
- H2O Zone Water Park; Adventure Beach; Adventure Ocean kids lounge area, water slides, escape rooms, laser tag, trampoline park
- Sports Court (golf simulator, table tennis, basketball court); Jogging Track; Rock-climbing Wall; Independence Dunes Mini Golf Course; FlowRider (surf simulator, complimentary)
- Skylight Wedding Chapel (40-seat, used for religious services).
During refurbishment 2018 to the ship were added:
- RCI’s signature "Perfect Storm" waterslides (“Cyclone” and “Typhoon” / high-speed racing slides.), FlowRider (surfing simulator), Sky Pad (bungee trampoline with optional virtual reality headset). laser tag ("Battle for Planet Z" / glow-in-the-dark gaming room in the Studio B complex). The new water park and the duo of waterslides (called "Perfect Storm") were first introduced on the ships Liberty of the Seas and Harmony of the Seas (Oasis-class).
- “Slashaway Bay” kids aqua park / interactive water play area with cannons and geysers (replaced the Outdoor Youth Area “back deck”).
- Escape Room (by Puzzle Break) provides adventure game experiences (team building exercises) for a group of players who solve a series of puzzles by using clues, hints and group strategy. The team is given a set time limit to solve the puzzle (secret plot hidden within the room).
Independence Of The Seas - user reviews and comments
Photos of Independence Of The SeasAdd Photo
Independence Of The Seas ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean announced it had decided to redeploy its Independence of the Seas from the UK in 2020, and instead keep the vessel in Port Everglades...May 9, 2019
RCI-Royal Caribbean is temporarily closing the "Sky Pad" facility on two cruise liners in the wake of a recent lawsuit. The signature bungee...April 10, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean announced its tropical escapes for the 2020-2021 winter season. The cruise line is introducing diverse offerings throughout the...March 18, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Two Elvis “Cruising with the King” tribute cruises are due to set sail on Royal Caribbean ships and are promising to be the ultimate...January 12, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Independence of the Seas, Royal Caribbean's first ship to undergo a refurbishment as part of line's Royal Amplified program, emerged from dry...May 7, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean released details of line's 2019 ex-UK cruises for Explorer of the Seas and Independence of the Seas. Both liners will operate a...March 16, 2018
The Royal Caribbean cruise ship Independence of the Seas returned to Florida yesterday, December 16, after hundreds of travelers contracted...December 17, 2017
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean is to launch a fish & chips restaurant onboard Independence of the Seas when the ship returns to Southampton in May next year...November 11, 2017
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean announced that Independence of the Seas will get a wealth of new attractions during her upcoming April 2018 renovation...July 14, 2017
A man from Ohio was sentenced to 2 years in prison after pleading no contest to participating in attack on a teenager who made a lewd comment to...February 1, 2017
- show more news
Other Royal Caribbean cruise ships
Independence Of The Seas Wiki
Independence is the last of Royal Caribbean's Freedom-class liners, with sisterships Freedom and Liberty. The ship was built in 2008 at Aker Finnyards Shipyard (Turku, Finland). Aker Finnyards was later acquired by STX Europe (a division of the multinational STX Holding / South Korea). Ship's godmother was Elizabeth Hill from Baslow (Derbyshire, England-UK). She was married to a British farmer and won the ship naming contest after her 12-year-old daughter sent her application in a contest with ~1700 competitors. Richard D Fain (Chairman and CEO of RCCL) and Sir Steve Redgrave (one of Royal Caribbean's main charity partners) were members of the jury. The jury assessed the charity activities of all contestants. Elizabeth Hill was elected for her Gamelea Countryside Training Trust that helps young people with physical or social problems to integrate into society. The naming ceremony was on April 30, 2008, held in Port Southampton (UK).
In 2008, Independence OTS was the world's biggest passenger liner. The inaugural cruise (maiden voyage) was a 4-day itinerary from Southampton to Cork Ireland (departure May 2, 2008). On May 6, the ship started an 11-day Canary Islands cruise from Southampton.
The cruise ship was extensively drydock refurbished in April 2013. RCCL invested $7 million in renovations and upgrades, the list of which included adding the huge poolside movie screen, digital signage, ship-wide Wi-Fi coverage, nursery for toddlers, cupcake shop, Giovanni's Table (trattoria).
Just like all RCI ships, Independence offers a lot of entertainments for kids and teens. Among best "fun hits" on the ship are the surfing simulator, and all the "ice skating" and "rock-climbing" activities. For adults, there is plenty of space for sports activities (modern fitness center, and even a boxing ring), many bars and lounges, the adult-only Solarium area.
Independence OTS refurbishment 2018 review
Ship's drydock 2018 refurbishment (April 4 - May 4, in Freeport Bahamas) resulted in the following deckplan changes (complete list, reviewed deck by deck):
- (Decks 3 and 4) Alhambra Theatre was completely renovated and renamed to "Royal Theater".
- "The Raven" nightclub ((Deck 3 / lower level 1 of 2) was replaced with staterooms, while the upper level (Deck 4) was replaced with Izumi (Japanese restaurant at a fee, with Teppanyaki table-side grills).
- Photo Gallery was moved from Deck 4 to Deck 3. On Deck 4, replacing the Photo Gallery were added: "Playmakers Sports Bar" and Arcade Room.
- (Deck 3) "On Air Club" was replaced with staterooms.
- (Deck 3) Art Gallery was reduced in size for adding new staterooms.
- "Romeo and Juliet" restaurant (Deck 3 aft), "Macbeth" restaurant (Deck 4 aft) and "King Lear" restaurant (Deck 5 aft) were renamed to "Dining Room".
- (Deck 5) The Pyramid Lounge was renamed to "Star Lounge" and reduced in size.
- (Deck 5) "Connoisseur Club" was transformed into "Library - RC Online" (Internet computers room) and increased in size.
- (Deck 5) "God and Badger Pub" was renamed to "Ale and Anchor Pub" and reduced in size.
- (Deck 5) "Cupcake Cupboard" (food bar) was replaced with the "Sugar Beach" shop (candy store).
- On Deck 6 were added 1 Inside Cabin (#6137 / forward), 4 Inside Cabins (aft, replacing "Business Center" and "Loyalty Desk) and 2 Villa Suites (replacing the aft 4-Bedroom Family Suite).
- On Deck 7 were added 1 Inside Cabin (#7139 / forward) and 4 Inside Cabins (aft, replacing the Library / moved to Deck 5).
- On Deck 8 were added 6 Inside Cabins (8127, 8129, 8131, 8133, 8315, and 8237 / forward) and 4 Inside Cabins (aft, replacing the RC Online / moved to Deck 5).
- On Deck 9 was added 1 Inside Cabin (#9237 / forward).
- On Deck 10 the Concierge Lounge was replaced by 4 Inside Cabins.
- On Deck 11 (forward-starboard) were added all 6 Spa Staterooms, taking some space from the Vitality Center. Also here the H2O Zone (kids aqua park / outdoor playground) was replaced with the new Splashaway Bay (water park). "Squeeze Bar" was replaced with "Fish and Ships", and the "Seatrek Dive Shop" was renamed "PADI". The "Splashaway Bay" is an interactive water park with waterslides (Cyclone, Typhoon, Boomerang), water cannons and geysers, pools, a drench bucket.
- On Deck 12 (forward) were added all 44 Spa Staterooms (incl category "Panoramic Ocean View"), taking space from the Vitality Center.
- On Deck 13, the "Independence Dunes" (mini-golf course / aft-portside) was replaced with waterslides ("The Perfect Storm"), "Sky Pad" (bungee trampoline with optional virtual reality headset) and FlowRider (surf simulator).
- On Deck 14 (forward-portside) the multi-purpose rooms "Cloud Nine" and "Seven Hearts" were replaced by exclusive "Suite Lounge".
- On Deck 15, the "Skylight Chapel" (wedding room) was replaced with "Escape Room". The Escape Room provides adventure game experiences (team building exercises) for a group of players who solve a series of puzzles by using clues, hints and group strategy. The team is given a set time limit to solve the puzzle (secret plot hidden within the room).
Independence OTS refurbishment 2013 review
The list of deckplan changes after ship's drydock 2013 included:
- “Giovanni’s Table” (Italian cuisine restaurant) was added on Lido deck 11. There was also added RCI's signature "Royal Babies & Tots Nursery" (babysitting facility). Also on Lido deck was installed RCI's signature Jumbotron movie screen (poolside outdoor theater).
- “Cupcake Cupboard” (bakery shop) was added on Promenade deck 5.
Independence Of The Seas User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review