Anthem of the Seas Review and Specifications
Specifications of Anthem of the Seas
|Year built||2015 / Age : 4|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||EUR 750 million (USD 940 million)|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Operator||Royal Caribbean International|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||348 m / 1142 ft|
|Beam (width)||49 m / 161 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||167800 gt|
|Passengers||4168 - 4825|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Christened by||Emma Wilby|
Current itinerary / position of Anthem of the Seas
Anthem of the Seas current cruise is 9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean. Prices start from USD 1312 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 15 Aug, 2019 and ends on 24 Aug, 2019.All Itineraries Current Position
|Date / Time||Port|
|15 Aug 16:00||Departing from New York, Cape Liberty Bayonne NJ-NYC hotels|
|17 Aug 08:00 - 16:00||Kings Wharf, Bermuda|
|19 Aug 12:15 - 20:00||Philipsburg, St Maarten Island, Dutch Antilles|
|20 Aug 07:00 - 15:00||San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|21 Aug 09:30 - 17:00||Labadee, Haiti private island|
|24 Aug 07:00||Arriving in New York, Cape Liberty Bayonne NJ-NYC hotels|
Review of Anthem of the Seas
Launched in 2015, Anthem of the Seas cruise ship is the 2nd Quantum-class Royal Caribbean vessel, together with the sisterships Quantum of the Seas (2014) and Ovation of the Seas (2016). Similar in the design are the ‘Quantum Plus’-Class vessels Passion of the Seas (2019) and Pulse of the Seas (2020), as well as the "Quantum Ultra-Class" Spectrum (2019) and Odyssey (2020). Next is shown a Quantum-class ship as looked from above.
History - construction and ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is a US company, trademarked brand and subsidiary owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL, shipowner). RCI was established in 1968 and currently has over 1/5 of the worldwide cruise market. RCI also has RCCL's largest fleet as both numbers of vessels and GT tonnage (ship sizes and capacities). All Royal Caribbean liners have names ending with "of the Seas".
The 167,800-ton, 4,905-passenger cruise ship Anthem of the Seas is a next-generation Quantum Class ship. The name of the vessel comes from a song of praise and reveals many of the best qualities and features of Royal Caribbean International. The size of the Quantum-class cruise ships is significantly decreased, compared to the Oasis Class ships of the line.
Cruise itinerary program
Anthem of the Seas has a total of 2090 cabins (of which 194 Suites, 1570 Balcony rooms, 373 Interior, 28 studios /single occupancy) in 43 grades. Most Anthem of the Seas staterooms are balcony and 100-185-sq.foot insides. The largest aboard Anthem of the Seas is the Royal Loft Suite (152 m2). The new “Royal Suite Class” booking category (suite accommodations only) provides Anthem's highest paying passengers with the ultimate all-inclusive cruise experience of Royal Caribbean, marked by Coastal Kitchen exclusive access, 24-hour personal butler service, included gratuities, all-inclusive drinks, free Internet and thermal suite unlimited access. Anthem of the Seas was also designed with 34 wheelchair-accessible cabins and 373 virtual balconies (the interior features real-time views of the ocean and destinations). Compared to the Oasis-class ships, guests can enjoy larger staterooms, more family-connected cabins and new studio staterooms (for solo travellers).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Passengers on Anthem of the Seas are offered plenty of dining options to choose from (25 onboard dining options, of which 14 complimentary), with multiple choices for light bites as well. Reservations for all restaurants can be made online ahead of the cruise. Though not required, reservations are definitely recommended to ensure guests get to eat where they want, when they want. Food and service at the main restaurants, Silk, Chic, American Icon and The Grande, is varied and offers an array of experiences. Anthem provides 200 seats more than Quantum among its main dining rooms. Additionally, more waiters have been assigned to address complaints about service. Each of the four main restaurants already has two versions of the menu, with regional dishes also been added.
Follows the complete list of Anthem of the Seas restaurants and food bars.
- The Grande (one of the four dining rooms; offers DreamWorks themed breakfast, two fixed dinner seatings and "My Time Dining")
- Chic Restaurant (one of the four dining rooms)
- American Icon Grill (one of the four dining rooms)
- The Silk (Asian cuisine, one of the four dining rooms)
- La Patisserie (speciality coffee and teas bar; offers fresh-made pastries and sweets)
- Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine
- Johnny Rockets (fast food restaurant, complimentary)
- Windjammer Marketplace buffet restaurant (offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Chops Grille (steakhouse/seafood)
- Chef’s Table (14-guest capacity, gourmet private dining package)
- Sorrento’s (Italian restaurant)
- Jamie's Italian Restaurant (menu, deck 5) is a 132-seat speciality trattoria restaurant (at surcharge USD 30 pp dinner, USD 20 pp lunch/sea days only) via a partnership with British celebrity chef Jamie Oliver,
- Izumi (73-seat Asian/Japanese restaurant)
- The Cafe @ Two70° (casual dining marketplace)
- Coastal Kitchen (Suite passengers only restaurant)
- Solarium Bistro (healthy dining menu, ex-“Devinly Decadence”)
- SeaPlex Dog House (complimentary)
- Anthem was the first Quantum-class ship on which in 2017 was introduced the new Royal Caribbean speciality dining package.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Anthem OTS (and all Quantum-Class liners) feature as unique facilities "iFly by RipCord" (skydiving simulator at a fee, reservations are required) and "North Star" (jewel-shaped glass capsule) rising 300 ft (92 m) above sea level for 360-degree views above the ship. North Star is at a fee and also can be privately booked (for special events). At "iFly by RipCord", each passenger is fitted with goggles, helmet and jumpsuit before jumping into the chamber (1-min sessions). These vessels also have Bionic Bar where "bartending robots" mix up cocktails ordered via a tablet.
The Royal Theater hosts the major production show onboard the Anthem, "We Will Rock You", a 90-minute musical which sets Queen's greatest hits to a story set in the future. The result is an exceptional show and spectacular event that makes everyone want to sing and dance along. The Anthem cruise ship boasts with the DreamWorks Experience - themed programming via a partnership with Walt Disney Company. This new entertainment program is aimed at families and offers movies-themed DreamWorks activities on select RCI ships within the fleet. The list of special activities includes characters meet and greets (of course, plus photo ops).
Additional amenities include: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Youth programs (Adventure Ocean, Royal Babies, Royal Tots, Dream Works experience), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
Follows the complete list of Anthem of the Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Royal Theater (1299-seat, features 3D Movies, aerial acrobatic performances and Broadway-style productions)
- Music Hall (2-deck high live entertainment venue)
- Two70° Lounge (3-deck high relaxation observation lounge with live entertainment)
- Photo Gallery and Shop; SeaTrek Shop (diving equipment)
- Diamond Club Lounge and Bar (past guests only); Concierge Club and Lounge (suite- and past guests only); Card Room
- Brass and Bock Pub (former Michael’s Genuine Pub), Bionic Bar, NorthStar Bar
- The Via (an area between the boutique shops and restaurants on deck 5; with the Vintages wine bar, Port Merchants and Jamie’s)
- Casino Royale
- Outdoor Movie Screen
- Cafe Promenade (24-hour; serves snacks and drinks, as well as Starbucks speciality coffee)
- Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center; 10 jacuzzis (2 are cantilevered); 4 pools
- Solarium lounge (includes Solarium Cafe, pool bar and adults only pool area); Solarium Bar
- Video Games Arcade; The Living Room and Night Club teen areas; Royal Babies and Tots Nursery; Adventure Ocean kids lounge area; Workshop (family venue); H2O Zone family and kids area
- SeaPlex (sports complex, with roller skating, bumper cars, circus school, full-sized basketball court); North Star; FlowRider (surf simulator); RipCord by iFly; Jogging Track; Rock-climbing Wall.
Anthem of the Seas wiki
Anthem is RCI's second Quantum-class vessel, with sisterships Quantum of the Seas (2014) and Ovation of the Seas (2016). On February 11, 2011, vessel’s order (coded “Project Sunshine”) was announced by the shipowner Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL). The liner represents a new passenger ship class of all three units, the first of which (Quantum) was delivered in October 2014, and the third (Ovation) in April 2016. On February 29, 2012, RCCL announced Anthem’s order. On January 31, 2013, the new ship class was officially named “Quantum Class”. On this day were also officially announced the names of the first two vessels – Quantum and Anthem.
On February 10, 2014, Royal Caribbean announced that Anthem's itinerary program will feature a total of 19 European cruises (in the Mediterranean Sea) visiting the Riviera regions of Spain, France and Italy, and also the Canaries.
On February 21, 2015, the vessel was launched (floated out from drydock) at Meyer Weft shipyard. Followed outfitting and the conveyance on River Ems to the North Sea / Baltic Sea for sea trials. On April 20, 2015, was ship's christening ceremony in port Southampton, England. Ship's godmother is Emma Wilby - a UK cruise travel agent working for Thomson UK (Marella). She was chosen via an RCI-held competition.
Anthem's "Inaugural Cruise" started on April 22, 2015. The 8-day roundtrip itinerary from Southampton visited ports in France and Spain, with feature call on Le Havre-Paris. On April 18, started the "Pre-Inaugural" 2-day cruise to nowhere from Southampton (roundtrip itinerary without any ports of call).
In May 2017, Philippa Charlotte Middleton (younger sister of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge / wife of Prince William) was given her own Suite on the ship for her honeymoon with James Matthews. The couple married on May 20, 2017. Royal Caribbean specifically designed the themed "Pippa Suite" (adjacent to the ship's Royal Loft Suite (deck 9). Pipa Suite had blue plush furnishings, with lilac throws and cushions. The suite as amenities offered a sunrise yoga station, smoothie machine, golden goose ornaments, Royal Genie butler service (dedicated Principal of British Butler Institute-trained staff). The royal couple was on a Southern Caribbean itinerary roundtrip from NYC to St Lucia Island, Barbados and Antigua. After the Anthem cruise, the couple flew to St Bart's on James' private jet.
The list of the Quantum-class new features includes:
- "virtual balcony cabins" - Inside cabins with floor-to-ceiling high-definition TVscreen for a real-time oceanview
- Bionic Bar (capacity 2 drinks per minute) uses 2 robotic arms to prepare mixed beverages (muddled, stirred, shaken and strained). Those can be ordered via an app (tablets or smartphones). Orders are displayed on large LED screens around the bar. The robotic bartenders use 30 different spirits and 21 mixers (8 sodas, 6 juices, 3 syrups, sugar, mint, limes, lemons).
- Two70° 3-decks high lounge (with a cafe, ice bar, used for Cirque productions and as disco club at night)
- SeaPlex (full-size basketball court, roller-skating arena, bumper cars)
- "RipCord by iFLY" (skydiving simulator) - height 23 ft / 7 m
- "NorthStar" - complimentary observation capsule on a rotating arm.
- vessel width: 162 ft (49 m), waterline width 136 ft (41 m)
- virtual balcony's LED screen is 80-inch 4K (ultra high-definition)
- jogging track length 436 ft (133 m)
- North Star's height is 300 ft (92 m) and turns every 15 min.
- SeaPlex' bumper cars are 15
- On each voyage, the ship is loaded with fresh fruit (25 tons), fresh vegetables (36 tons), fish (10 tons), eggs (79,000), still water (22,200 L), sparkling water (12,000 L).
- In the vessel's construction were used 37,000 tons of steel, 346 tons of glass. It took 41,600 man hours to build it.
- Engines/power: two Wartsila diesel (type 12V46F, power output 14400 kW each), two Wartsila diesel (type 16V46F, power output 19200 kW each), two Caterpillar engines (type 3516C HD (power output 2500 kW each)
- Diesel-electric propulsion: two ABB thrusters (type Azipod XO, power output 20,5 MW each), plus four Brunvoll bow thrusters (type FU115, power output 3500 kW each)
- A signature feature of the vessel is the top-deck located giant Giraffe statue (named Gigi) with weight 4 tons.
- Ship's Captain is Srecko Ban.
All Quantum-class ships don't have the top-deck Viking Crown observation lounge and the ice skating rink. There are also differences in the Royal Promenade (shopping mall area). Entertainment options are brand new, with many "firsts at sea" present in the line's brochures.
Anthem of the Seas - user reviews and comments
Photos of Anthem of the SeasAdd Photo
Anthem of the Seas ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Popular as the Queen of the Seas, Jane McDonald is inviting all cruisers to come sailing with her, via actually chartering her own cruise ship...June 30, 2019
The United States Coast Guard successfully airlifted a 55-year-old Canadian passenger from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship on Friday, June 14, after...June 16, 2019
Royal Caribbean announced it is giving its travelers future cruise credits and partial refunds due to a voyage to Bermuda that had to be shortened on...May 19, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean announced it had decided to redeploy its Independence of the Seas from the UK in 2020, and instead keep the vessel in Port Everglades...May 9, 2019
The U.S. Coast Guard along with local emergency personnel have come to the rescue of a 71-year-old female passenger who fell ill on a Royal Caribbean...April 15, 2019
After the captain of Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas warned travelers about rising crime rates in Nassau, Bahamas, a government official is...December 28, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Following an increase in crimes being committed in Nassau, Bahamas, Royal Caribbean is warning passengers of dangers that could be found in the...December 27, 2018
A 79-year-old passenger suffering kidney failure symptoms was airlifted off the deck of a Royal Caribbean ship Wednesday night, December 19. The...December 21, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean unveiled it will re-deploy Anthem of the Seas from homeport New York in 2020, repositioning the liner back to UK (homeport...October 26, 2018
Another medical emergency aboard Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas required the Coast Guard (CG) to spring into action off the shore of New Jersey...October 21, 2018
- show more news
Other Royal Caribbean cruise ships
Anthem of the Seas Itineraries
The below listed Anthem of the Seas cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2019 Jul 27||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York|
|2019 Aug 01||9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean||New York|
|2019 Aug 10||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York|
|2019 Aug 15||9 days, round-trip Bermuda & Caribbean||New York||$1312|
|2019 Aug 24||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York|
|2019 Aug 29||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York|
|2019 Sep 07||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$629|
|2019 Sep 12||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$940|
|2019 Sep 21||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$581|
|2019 Sep 26||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$1061|
|2019 Oct 05||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$649|
|2019 Oct 10||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$1027|
|2019 Oct 19||5 days, round-trip Bermuda||New York||$604|
|2019 Oct 24||9 days, round-trip Canada & New England||New York||$741|
|2019 Nov 02||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$760|
|2019 Nov 09||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$721|
|2019 Nov 16||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$791|
|2019 Nov 23||8 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$890|
|2019 Dec 01||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$710|
|2019 Dec 08||12 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||New York||$1103|
|2020 Mar 15||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$678|
|2020 Mar 22||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$674|
|2020 Mar 29||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$717|
|2020 Apr 05||7 days, round-trip Bahamas & Perfect Day||New York||$915|
|2020 Apr 12||12 days, one-way from New York to Southampton||New York||$1171|
|2020 May 15||8 days, round-trip Spain & Portugal||Southampton||$1251|
|2020 May 23||6 days, round-trip France & Spain||Southampton||$1209|
|2020 May 29||8 days, round-trip Northern Europe Cities||Southampton||$1647|
|2020 Jun 20||8 days, round-trip Spain & Portugal||Southampton||$1537|
|2020 Jun 28||13 days, round-trip Mediterranean Beaches||Southampton||$2797|
|2020 Jul 11||8 days, round-trip France & Spain||Southampton||$1845|
|2020 Jul 19||14 days, round-trip Discover The Canaries||Southampton||$3007|
|2020 Aug 02||14 days, round-trip Mediterranean Beaches||Southampton||$3105|
|2020 Aug 16||14 days, round-trip Italian Mediterranean||Southampton||$3315|
|2020 Aug 30||7 days, round-trip France & Spain||Southampton||$1698|
|2020 Sep 06||14 days, round-trip Discover The Canaries||Southampton||$2587|
|2020 Oct 04||13 days, round-trip Italian Mediterranean||Southampton||$2475|
|2020 Oct 17||10 days, round-trip Sunshine In The Canaries||Southampton||$2167|
|2020 Oct 27||5 days, round-trip Half Term Paris & Bilbao||Southampton||$1025|
|2020 Nov 01||12 days, one-way from Southampton to New York||Southampton||$1425|
|2020 Nov 13||8 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$692|
|2020 Nov 21||8 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$791|
|2020 Nov 29||8 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$692|
|2020 Dec 07||12 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||New York||$1126|
|2020 Dec 19||8 days, round-trip Bahamas Holiday||New York||$1193|
|2020 Dec 27||8 days, round-trip Bahamas Holiday||New York||$1051|
|2021 Jan 04||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||New York||$1046|
|2021 Jan 15||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||New York||$1145|
|2021 Jan 26||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||New York||$1175|
|2021 Feb 06||8 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$741|
|2021 Feb 14||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$690|
|2021 Feb 21||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$670|
|2021 Feb 28||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$630|
|2021 Mar 07||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$640|
|2021 Mar 14||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$640|
|2021 Mar 21||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$670|
|2021 Mar 28||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$670|
|2021 Apr 04||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$670|
|2021 Apr 11||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$690|
|2021 Apr 18||7 days, round-trip Bahamas||New York||$710|
Anthem of the Seas User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review