Willemstad cruise port serves the capital city of Curacao (Leeward Islands, Dutch Antiles) - an island country, one of the overseas territories of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (Holland).
- Curacao Island is the largest of the ABC Duch islands in the Leeward Antilles group (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao). The other "Dutch Antilles" islands are in the Lesser Antilles - Sint Maarten (the southern part of Saint Martin island), Saba Island and the Sint Eustatius Island. Curacao covers a total area of 444 km2 (171 ml2) and has population around 150,000.
- The historic city centre consists of 4 quarters. Punda and Otrobanda are separated by Sint Anna Bay (an inlet leading into the natural harbour named Schottegat). Scharloo and Pietermaai Smal are the other two quarters across from each other on the smaller Waaigat harbour.
- In Willemstad is the Curacao synagogue - the Americas' oldest synagogue. The city centre has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Tourism is a major industry. The city has a number of casinos and the city centre features an array of colonial architecture influenced by Dutch styles.
- The standard of living in Curacao is among the Caribbean's highest.
- Willemstad is a popular cruise port of call on Southern Caribbean and Panama Canal cruise itineraries. The high season is in the summer (1/4 of all ship calls).
- In 2018, port's passenger shipping traffic increased 16% (over 2017) following the inauguration of the second cruise ship pier in 2017. In early 2018, to both piers were added more mooring dolphins to allow dockig of the world's largest cruise liners.
Highlights: Willemstad, Tropical Amsterdam, coral reefs, Hato Caves,
Willemstad cruise terminal
Port Willemstad has two cruise piers – "Mega Pier" and "Curaco Cruise Ship Terminal". Both are located in the city's Otrobanda quarter.
The new Mega Pier has capacity to accommodate largest cruise ships entering Santa Anna Bay. The bay is narrow, but deepwater. The channel splits the town in two quarters - Otrobanda (west) and Punda (east). Mega Pier is within easy walking distance from downtown - through Renaisaance Mall and Rif Fort. Punda is across (through Queen Emma Bridge).
Smaller vessels dock at the older pier Curaco Cruise Ship Terminal (located inside Santa Anna Bay). Both piers are within walking distance from the city's main tourist attractions. At both terminals are available taxis (be sure to negotiate the rate). Public transportation service includes the ”Buki di Bus” and trolleys.
Willemstad tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Queen Emma Bridge: the bridge that connects Point Side (Punda) and Other Side (Otrobanda). The bridge is also known as “The Swinging Old Lady.”
- Christoffel National Park: located at West Point. The National Park houses Boca Grandi. Those are Indian caves with paintings of Mount Christoffel and the Arawak Indians. The highest point in Curacao is the Mount Christoffel, 1292-ft.
- Curacao Sea Aquarium: it houses the Dolphin Academy.
- Fort Amsterdam: located at Punda Side in Willemstad.
- Fort Nassau: the fort was built to defend the city and the St. Anna Bay. There is also a restaurant that overlooks at the water.
- The Floating Market: the floating market is a fleet of mini boats. They come from Venezuela and sell fresh fruits and fish. It is located in Punda Side, a block from the Queen Juliana Bridge.
- Mikvé Israel-Emanuel Synagogue: western hemisphere’s oldest synagogue.
- Museum Kura Hulanda: anthropological museum where you can discover the culture of the island and the chronicles of trading African slaves.
Port Willemstad cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Willemstad, Curacao Island, Dutch Antilles. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
The Willemstad cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Willemstad, Curacao Island, Dutch Antilles.
If you lose the Willemstad location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.