Review of Viking Polaris deck 5 (Promenade-Lounge-Lido-Pool)
- Like Viking Ocean ships, Viking Expeditions cruise ships are designed with a full-circling Promenade Deck. This is an outdoor (passenger-accessible) deck area going all the way around the boat and providing the perfect opportunity for strolling and relaxation.
- The Living Room is an open-floor design lounge with its own Bar service, comfortable seating, live music performances in the evenings, various daily organized activities and special events. The seating areas are furnished with comfortable leather furniture (couches and armchairs). The decor features numerous artworks, shelved books (The Library), plenty of light from the floor-ceiling windows. The Living Room lounge also doubles as Card Room and offers playing cards and popular board games (Monopoly, Scrabble, Chess).
- Mamsen’s Restaurant (complementary, reservations-only specialty restaurant) offers traditional Scandinavian dishes and Italian cuisine specialties.
- The World Cafe is the ship’s market-style buffet (Lido restaurant) with floor-ceiling window walls, open kitchen, live cooking station, bakery, grill stations, seafood bar with premium sushi, international food choices. The World Cafe serves Breakfast (between 6:30-9:30 am), Lunch (between 11:30 am - 2:30 pm) and Dinner (between 6-9 pm). The breakfast menu has a selection of fresh-baked foods, an omelette station (made-to-order eggs and omelettes). The Lunch menu includes fresh-made pasta and pizzas, salad bar, daily special (bagel sandwich), market-type food stations for meats, grilled fish, fast food, desserts. Dinner menus are the same as The Restaurant’s (Dining Room on Deck 1) plus a sushi bar. At lunches and dinners are also offered freshly made gelato ice creams.
- Cruise cabins from 4000 to 4071, all of which are French Balcony staterooms in categories Deluxe Nordic Balcony (DN1), Nordic Junior Suites (NS, NSA - ADA/handicap), and Nordic Penthouse Suites (NP).
- Lifts and staircase access - four Atrium Lifts (glass-walled elevators) connect all decks. A 5th Lift (aft) interconnects all cabin decks.
Explorers Lounge (upper level 2 of 2) is a bow-facing, 2-deck high, circular-shaped, glass-covered and walled indoor observation lounge (observatory-type, with wraparound windows). In the evenings, Explorers Lounge hosts live performances by resident musicians (pianist, guitarist, classical trio). The lounge is served by its own bar (Explorers Bar is on Deck 5) and has a small terrace (open-air seating area).
Explorers Lounge also doubles as Reading Lounge, having a selection of best-seller books, quiet atmosphere, comfortable seating, beverage service. The decor is highlighted by maritime artefacts. At night, the 2-story high wraparound windows are light up with the constellations.
The aft-located Aquavit Terrace (facing The Pools area) is an alfresco pool deck area with outdoor seating and served with food by the World Cafe buffet. The Aquavit Terrace has wraparound floor-ceiling windows. When weather permits, it could be transformed from an indoor bar lounge into an outdoor sundeck and observation lounge. Aquavit Terrace is served with beverages by its own Aquavit Bar selling a selection of liquors, beers, cocktails, wines by the glass, soft drinks, refreshments. Aquavit Bar also serves with drinks the outdoor pool deck. This indoor-outdoor venue has a retractable glass roof and 3 different temperature-controlled infinity pools. The central pool has indoor-outdoor swimming experience.