Hurricane Dorian blasted across the Bahamas on Sunday, September 1, as a Category 5 with 185 mph sustained winds. Port closures resulted in extended voyages for some travellers and delayed trips, shortened trips, and itinerary changes for others.
PortMiami closed on Monday and reopened Tuesday afternoon. Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale also reopened on Tuesday. Port Canaveral announced Tuesday morning that it was still closed. JAXPORT announced on Tuesday that it also was closed until further notice. Port Nassau is open and functioning as usual.
Further itinerary changes are possible, so travellers should check the cruise lines' websites.
- Carnival Sunshine: The ship's departure time was extended to 6:00 p.m. on Monday, September 2, and the call to Half Moon Cay was cancelled.
- Carnival Liberty: The vessel departed from Port Canaveral on Friday and is due to return following a modified itinerary on Thursday, September 5. The Monday voyage from Port Canaveral was cancelled, and passengers will receive a refund.
- Carnival Elation: The Monday voyage from Port Canaveral may depart on Thursday for a 2-day sailing with the port of call to be determined by the weather. Passengers who still go will receive a pro-rated refund on the fare and pre-paid Wi-Fi and beverage packages. The cruise line is offering a 100% future cruise credit to those who opt to cancel.
- Carnival Horizon: The Monday voyage from Miami FL was shortened to a 3-day sailing departing Wednesday.
- Carnival Victory: The Monday sailing will be a 2-day itinerary, leaving on Wednesday and sailing back on Friday. Key West is the port of call on Thursday, September 5.
- Carnival Pride: The cruise ship left on Sunday via an adjusted itinerary to Grand Turk and Amber Cove. The Half Moon Cay and Freeport, Bahamas, visits were cancelled.
- Carnival Sensation: Visits to Half Moon Cay and Nassau were cancelled.
- Carnival Ecstasy: The Saturday voyage now has a modified itinerary as Key West replaced a visit to Princess Cays. The vessel also skipped a Tuesday visit to Nassau.
- Disney Dream: The current sailing from Port Canaveral has been extended until Thursday. After initially delaying the Monday cruise, Disney announced it was cancelled.
Disney responds amid backlash for leaving some of their crew in the Bahamas.
- Norwegian Breakaway: The August 25 voyage that was scheduled to return to Miami FL on Sunday, is due to conclude in NOLA on Tuesday after the closure of Port Miami. The 7-day voyage initially set to depart on Sunday now has been cancelled. The cruise line will help with travel arrangements back.
- Norwegian Sun: The August 29 voyage cancelled its scheduled return to Port Canaveral on Labor Day. It instead concluded in NOLA on Tuesday. The scheduled Monday departure from Port Canaveral was cancelled. Scheduled visits for the 5-day departure scheduled for September 7 from Port Canaveral are being evaluated.
- Norwegian Sky: The ship left Miami on August 31 and experienced a modified itinerary. It will return to Miami FL on September 5.
CocoCay has been closed since August 28, and the cruise company hopes to reopen its private island by Saturday, September 7.
- Allure of the Seas: The August 25 cruise has been extended until Wednesday, with extra calls in Roatan and Costa Maya. The Sunday voyage has been shortened and will be a 4-night voyage departing on Wednesday.
- Empress of the Seas: The August 24 sailing of Empress has been extended and the ship will return to Miami FL on Wednesday. Visits to Roatan and George Town were added. The September 1 cruise leaves on Wednesday and will visit Nassau on Friday. The return is unchanged.
- Harmony of the Seas: The August 25 voyage has been extended until Thursday. Stops in Cozumel and extra nights at sea were added. The planned Sunday cruise will depart on Thursday and be shortened.
- Symphony of the Seas: The August 31 voyage has been extended and is scheduled to return on Wednesday. The line skipped a Bahamas spot and added a call at Costa Maya. The Tuesday cruise departs Wednesday.
- Mariner of the Seas: The August 30 sailing was extended and is scheduled to return on Thursday. The September 2 sailing was cancelled.
- Navigator of the Seas: The August 30 sailing was extended and returns to Miami FL on Wednesday. The Monday voyage was rescheduled for Wednesday, September 4, and shortened.
- Majesty of the Seas: The August 28 cruise was extended and returns on Wednesday to Fort Lauderdale FL. The Monday cruise leaves on Wednesday and returns on Saturday, also in Fort Lauderdale FL.