The Isle of Islay is the southernmost and among the 3 largest and most populous of Scotland's Inner Hebrides Islands - together with Skye and Mull. Islay island has a total area of approx 619 km2 (239 ml2) and population around 3,000.
- Islay Island is located southwest of Jura and approx 40 km (25 mi) north of Ireland. The island's main city is Bowmore where a distillery and the round Kilarrow Parish Church are located. However, its main ferry port is Port Ellen.
- Islay is Scotland's 5th-largest island and the 7th-largest near mainland Great Britain.
- Currently, the island's main commercial activities are agriculture, tourism, and malt whisky distillation. Islay Island has a long history of religious observance. Landscapes have been celebrated via various forms of art and there is also a growing interest in renewable energy.
- here can be seen various seabird species making it a popular destination for birdwatchers throughout the year.
- Annually, around 45,000 summer tourists visit Isle of Islay by ferries and around 11,000 - by air. The island's main attractions are its rich history, the amazing scenery, bird watching, and the famous whiskies. Local distilleries also operate their own shops, visitor centers, and tours. Finlaggan Trust has a visitor center open daily during summer months.
- Finlaggan is a historic site on in Loch Finlaggan (at Eilean Mor). The famous Finlaggan Castle is approx 2 km (1 ml) to the northwest of Ballygrant.
Isle of Islay cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Islay Island dock (anchor) at Port Ellen - port town on the southern coast.
Port Isle of Islay cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Isle of Islay, Port Ellen, Scotland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|9 April, 2024|
|12 April, 2024|
|20 April, 2024|
|20 April, 2024|
|22 April, 2024|
- Cruise Industry
A spectacular fireworks display, from the vessel’s namesake island (Isle of Iona Scotland), is to be the pinnacle of the entertainment...July 7, 2021
The Norwegian ferry and cruise shipping company Hurtigruten will use Port Dover England as homeport / roundtrip departure port for 4 itineraries in...June 10, 2020
- show more news