59 °F / 15 °C
Makarievo is a Volga River cruise port and village popular for the nearby Zheltovodsky Makaryev monastery. This is a convent founded in 1435 by monk Makarii. It was built on the border between Russia and Kazan Khanate (Bulgarian-Tatar state). In 1439, the monastery was burnt and most monks were killed. Makarii was taken prisoner, but was soon released under condition not to renew the monastery in the same place. He and the remaining monks went to Kostroma forests and at river Unzhu founded a new convent.
In 1620, monk Avraamy (from Tetyushinsky) revived the monastery in its original place, building a wooden church (Trinity) there. In 1622 was built the wooden Assumption Church. In the second half of the century the monastery was rebuilt in stone - Assumption Church (in 1651) and the 5-domed Trinity Cathedral (in 1658), in the period 1662-1667 were built the stone walls with wooden towers.
In 1816 the whole complex was devasted by fire. In the period 1868-1883 the monastery was abolished. In 1883 it was opened as female convent (run by nuns). In 1927 it was liquidated by the Bolsheviks and later used as orphanage and veterinarian school.
Makaryev Monastery was reopened in 1991 and operational since then as female convent (officially "Zheltovodsky Makaryev Convent of Holy Trinity"). It is part of Nizhny Novgorod diocese. The other "monastery" river cruise port in Russia is Goritsy.
Makaryev Monastery cruise terminal
Among the Russian cruise ships visiting Makaryev Monastery are the VODOHOD-owned boats MS Korotkov, MS Kuchkin, MS Gorky, MS Nizhny Novgorod, MS Frunze, MS Budyonny.
- Moscow-Kineshma-Cheboksary-Moscow (10-day)
- Moscow-Kazan-Moscow (11-day)
- Moscow-Kazan-Ulyanovsk-Moscow (12-day)
- Saratov-Novgorod-Saratov (8-day)
- Volgograd-Novgorod-Volgograd (10-day)
- Kazan-St Petersburg-Kazan (18-day)
- Kazan-Makarievo-Novgorod-Kazan (4-day)
- Samara-Novgorod-Perm-Samara (12-day)
- Samara-Novgorod-Samara (6-day)
- Samara-Bulgar-Novgorod-Samara (6-day)
- Novgorod-Makarievo-Novgorod (2-day)
- Novgorod-Cheboksary-Novgorod (3-day)
- Novgorod-Kazan-Novgorod (4-day)
- Novgorod-Yelabuga-Novgorod (5-day)
- Novgorod-Samara-Novgorod (6-day)
- Novgorod-Yelabuga-Ulyanovsk-Novgorod (6-day)
- Novgorod-Perm-Novgorod (9-day)
- Novgorod-Volgograd-Novgorod (10-11-day)
- Novgorod-Perm-Samara-Novgorod (13-day)
- Novgorod-Astrakhan-Novgorod (13-day)
- Novgorod-Rostov on Don-Novgorod (16-day)
- Novgorod-Perm-Volgograd-Novgorod (16-day)
Makaryev Monastery cruise port videos
The Makaryev Monastery cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Makaryev Monastery, Russia.
If you lose the Makaryev Monastery location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.