75 °F / 24 °C
Malacca (Bandar Melaka) is a port city in Malaysia, and the Malacca state's capital with population around 490,000. The town was founded by Parameswara (prince) who established Malacca Sultanate in the 15th century. In the following years, it became a major trading port for merchants from Asia, Middle East and Portugal. The offshore islands Besar, Undan and Upeh are part of Malacca state and accessible by jetty from mainland Malaysia.
The current-day city's economy is largely based on tourism. Here are also hosted major international trade fairs and conferences. The city is becoming even more important with its location on the 2013-proposed by China "Maritime Silk Road". Among the most popular city attractions are:
- Kota A Famosa is a Portuguese fortress which Porta de Santiago (gate house) is among Southeast Asia's oldest European architectural remains still standing today.
- Jonker Walk is the Malacca's Chinatown located along Jonker Str.
- Little India is an ethnic enclave with a large Indian population). Malacca's Little India is located along Bendahara Str and the intersection with Temenggong Str. Here Indian traders sell a broad range of merchandise, including clothing, foods, flowers.
- Portuguese Settlement is a community of Kristang people (of mixed Portuguese-Malaccan-Indian-Chinese descent) located 5 km (3 ml) from the city.
- Stadthuys is the historic city hall.
- Maritime Museum is the country's the most visited museum (over 20,000 monthly visitors). The museum has a live-size replica of the famous Portuguese 3-masted sailing ship "Flor do Mar" (aka Flor de la Mar).
- Christ Church is an 18th-century Anglican church, and also Malaysia's oldest still functioning Protestant church.
- Malacca Sultanate Palace Museum has artifacts related to the region's history.
- Malacca Zoo park has over 1200 animals of 215 species.
- Taming Sari Tower is a revolving gyro tower.
Port Malacca cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Malacca, Malaysia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|21 February, 2020|
|23 February, 2020|
|26 February, 2020|
- Cruise Industry
Sapphire Princess passengers viewed the annular solar eclipse that occurred early afternoon on Boxing Day (December 26, 2019), along the Straits of...January 4, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Dream Cruises (subsidiary of GHK) is showcasing the best of Southeast Asia via signature itineraries for summer 2020 that feature new port...July 24, 2019
- show more news