Plyos (Ples) is a Volga River cruise port in Russia, located approx 70 km (43 mi) northeast of Ivanovo. Volga's width in the area of Plyos is 650-700 m (2130-2300 ft), with a depth of 15 m (50 ft).
The town has a population of around 2,000. Founded in the early 12th century, the fortress was completely destroyed by the Mongols in 1238 during the invasion of Batu Khan, but the village continued to exist. Plyos received its town status in 1925, and its resort status in 1947.
Until the construction of Ivanovo -Kineshma railway (opened 1871), Plyos was the main river port of the Kostroma province. It also had a well-developed textile industry (linen factories), malt plants and breweries, smithies, salt depot, numerous commercial shops.
Current-day Plyos' economy is primarily based on tourism. The town is popular for its well-preserved churches, including Resurrection of Christ Church (built 1817), Trinity Church (1808), Vvedenskaya Church (1828), Assumption Cathedral (1698), Saint Barbara Church (1821), and Transfiguration Church.
Plyos also has 2 wooden churches moved here from villages in the Ivanovo region - Resurrection Church (built 1699) and Archangel Michael Church (1825).
Other popular tourist attractions are public and private museums - Isaak Levitan's house, Landscape, art-crafts, Private Places, Old Russian Family, Primitive Fishing, AI Timofeev House Museum, LG Nikolaev gallery. The town is very popular with its annual festivals themed on Russian fashion, international film festival "Zerkalo", Levitan Music Festival, Fyodor Shalyapin Festival, Plesk Animation Festival.
Plyos cruise terminal
Plyos is visited on the following river cruise itineraries:
- Novgorod-Goritsy-Cherepovets (Vologda)-Novgorod (7-day)
- Novgorod-Kostroma-Novgorod (3-day)
- Novgorod-Karelia-St Petersburg (2 days)-Novgorod (15-day)
- Novgorod-Dubna-Novgorod (7-day)
- Kazan-Karelia-St Petersburg (2 days)-Kazan (17-day)
- Kazan-Yaroslavl-Kineshma-Kazan (7-day)
- Kazan-Uglich-Myshkin-Kazan (8-day)
- Kazan-St.Petersburg-Kazan (18-day)
- Moscow-Kazan-Yelabuga-Moscow (12-day)
- Moscow-Kineshma-Cheboksary-Moscow (10-day)
- Moscow-Kineshma-Plyos-Moscow (7-day)
- Moscow-Novgorod-Moscow (7-day)
- Moscow-Rostov-on-Don-Moscow (22-day)
- Moscow-Astrakhan-Moscow (19-day)
- Moscow-Kazan-Ulyanovsk-Moscow (12-day)
- Moscow-Kazan-Moscow (11-day)
- St Petersburg-Plyos-St Petersburg (11-day)
- St. Petersburg-Nizhny Novgorod-Kineshma-St. Petersburg (14-day)
- Astrakhan-Moscow (11-day)
- Saratov-Uglich-Saratov (12-day)
- Saratov-Yaroslavl-Tutaev-Saratov (11-day)
- Samara-Uglich-Samara (10-day)
- Samara-St. Petersburg (2 days)-Samara (18-day)
- Samara-Yaroslavl-Tutaev-Samara (10-day)
- Samara-Kostroma-Plyos-Samara (8-day)
- Volgograd-Uglich-Volgograd (14-day)
- Volgograd-Yaroslavl-Tutaev-Volgograd (13-day)