Port-Vendres (Portvendres) is a Mediterranean cruise port, fishing port and town in Pyrenees-Orientales (southern France). It covers a total area of approx 15 km2 (6 ml2) and has population around 5,000. Located only 15 km (9 ml) from the France-Spain border (Catalonia's Costa Brava), Port Vendres is in Roussillon region - one of France's most beautiful along the Mediterranean coast.
- Port Vendres is a merchant port since the Roman Empire. Construction of fortifications started during Louis XVI (1754-1793). King's architect and painter Charles De Wailly (1730-1798) built a 30 m (98 ft) high marble obelisk that is now become town's focal point. In commemoration of the obelisk, Fete de Mailly festival is annually held here in September, featuring fancy dress parade through the streets, re-enactment of obelisk's first stone placing, carriage rides, historical circus games, concert (with traditional dance music), Catalan ballet, bandana game, pirate fight enactment.
- In 1870, the seaport was expanded for the second time during France's colonization of Algeria (north Africa). Port Vendres is among France's few deep-water ports in the Mediterranean. It handles cruise ships and cargo ships, as well as small and large fishing boats. The town is popular among tourists for its numerous seafood restaurants.
- Just 2 km from the seaport is Collioure (Spain). Located inland is Ceret that attracted some of 20th century's most famous painters, including Picasso, Matisse, Braque, Juan Gris. Musee d'Art Modern has works by the masters who lived there, as well as other artists. Arles-sur-Tech (outside Ceret) is a 9th-century abbey.