Saaremaa Island is Estonia's biggest island, located in Baltic Sea and south of Hiiumaa island. It covers a total area of approx 2673 km2 (1032 ml2) and has population around 30,000. The island attracts cruise ship tourists with its pristine nature and historical sights.
- The island's largest settlement is the port city Kuressaare (population around 15,000) located on its southern coast.
- The island forms a barrier between Baltic Sea and Gulf of Riga. To the south is the main passage - Irbe Strait. In Estonian, the island's name is translated as "island land".
- Saaremaa is linked via ferries to Virtsu (mainland Estonia), Kuivastu (Muhu island, linked with Saaremaa via causeway) and Soru (Hiiumaa Island). There are also passenger services to Abruka Island from Roomassaare. During winter, Saaremaa can be reached by driving on an ice road (between Muhu and mainland Estonia) or between Hiiumaa and Saaremaa.
- In addition to the ferries, the island is also served by Kuressaare Airport. Saaremaa is a popular vacation travel destination, revisited by around 95% of domestic and 35% of foreign tourists.
- The island as cruise destination attracts mainly smaller-sized luxury ships.
- In 2018, Saaremaa Harbour had scheduled 9 cruise ship calls with estimated around 3,000 passengers (June 3 through September 16). The visiting ships were Amadea, Artania, Albatros, Seabourn Ovation, Island Sky.
- In 2019 (June 28 through September 12), the harbour was booked by the ships Albatros and AIDAaura.
Saaremaa Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Saaremaa Island Estonia dock (anchor) at Kuressaare (aka Arensburg) - Saaremaa Harbour.
Port Saaremaa Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Saaremaa Island, Kuressaare, Estonia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|11 June, 2020|
|Spirit of Discovery||08:00||17:00|