Administrative building-2060, La Goulette 3029, Tunisia
56 °F / 14 °C
Port La Goulette is the cruise port for Tunis - Tunisia's capital and largest city with population over 1 million (metro over 2,6 million). The port town La Goulette is on Mediterranean Sea (in North Africa's Maghreb region) and has population around 46,000. TGM railway (Tunis-Goulette-Marsa rail line) links to Tunis City (approx 11 km / 7 ml away).
Main tourist attraction in La Goulette is the Kasbah 16th-century fortress built by Holy Roman Emperor Charles V (1500-1558) and Charles I of Spain (1516-1556).
Tunis Metro (aka Grand Tunis) covers total area approx 213 km2 (82 ml2). City's economy is largely based on the service sector (tertiary industry), industrial production, agriculture (particularly wine and olive oil), finances and banking, tourism. The city holds several annual festivals, the largest being Carthage International Festival (July-August). Among the best-known tourist attractions and landmarks are Medina (UNESCO Site with palaces, mosques, mausoleums, madrasas (schools), fountains), Bardo Museum (13th-century palace, has a large collection of Roman and Ancient Greece artifacts), Carthage ruins (capital of Ancient Carthage / Phoenician state 814-146 BC), souks (covered streets with shops and artisans), ancient city walls and gates, many large nature parks, Habib Thameur (garden).
Tunis cruise terminal
As a Tunis cruise port terminal serves the commercial pier at La Goulette port. It is a fishing port and it is located eight miles away from Tunis, direction north. Recent renovation of the port added two new docks and new Tunis cruise port terminal building at the popular attraction for tourists – Goulette Village Harbor.
The new complex area offers facilities which start from the typical shopping, food and drinks through banks services to even a SPA area. There are a lot of possibilities for activities and entertainments. Tunis cruise terminal is within a walking distance from the heart of La Goulette. There are a lot of typical seafood restaurants, some of the best in Tunis. There is a taxi rank at port's gate. The typical rate to downtown is USD 10, or USD 25 (per hour) to hire a driver. Other options are the electric trains.
Tunis tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Carthage: World Heritage Site of UNESCO. It is one of the most popular sites in Tunisia with the stunning Amphitheatre and the Antonine Baths, Roman buildings.
- Cathedral of St. Vincent de Paul: it dates form 1882. The cathedral is the largest colonial era building that survived. The style is neo-Romanesque.
- Bardo Museum: discover one of the world’s largest mosaics selections.
- The Medina of Tunis: UNESCO World Heritage Site listed. The medieval Islamic city is among the best-preserved in the world. You can feel the 13th century atmosphere with the amazing charm of the oriental.
- Zitouna Mosque: or Jemaa ez-Zitouna is the Tunisia’s largest mosque dating from the 8th century.
- Sidi Bou Said: the amazing blue-door village offers breathing Mediterranean view from a rocky hill. The city enchants with its facades in white covered with bougainvillea and geraniums in different colors.
- Hammamet/ Nabeul: the resort is located in Cap Bon. It offers hotels and amazing beaches.
- Dougga: UNESCO World Heritage Site listed from 1997 representing ” the best-preserved Roman small town in North Africa.” The city is located in the northern part of Tunisia and features archeological site over 65 hectares.
- Kairouan: the first muslims and Arabs capital is located 150 km from Tunis cruise port (in the country’s center). The city dates from 671 and there are amazing monuments including the mausoleum of Sidi Sahbi, the Medina of Kairouan and the Great Mosque. Kiarouan is the center of the Berber handmade carpets.
Port Tunis cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Tunis, La Goulette, Tunisia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|24 April, 2020|
|ms Nieuw Amsterdam||08:00||17:00|