Half Moon Cay (officially Little San Salvador Island, sized 2400 acres / 9,7 km2) is located about 10 ml / 16 km southeast of Nassau, and halfway between the Bahamian islands Cat and Eleuthera. This is a privately-owned island, one of the assets of Holland America Line. Half Moon Cay is an exclusive port of call for all Holland America and Carnival cruise ships operating in the region. Prior to Holland America, the island was owned by NCL (Norwegian Cruise Line).
Carnival private island Half Moon Cay (Bahamas)
Half Moon Cay is located around 10 miles (16 km) southeast of Nassau. HAL purchased the island for a price of US$6 million in December 1996. It has since developed 200,000 m2 (50 acres) of the 9.7 km2 (2,400-acre) island, with the stated goal of keeping as much habitat as possible. Half Moon Cay is also a nesting area for waterfowl. It does not have deep water docking that requires the use of tenders for cruise passengers to embark and disembark.
Holland America bought the island in December 1996 for USD 6 million. Subsequently, the island property was developed with some 50 acres (200,000 m2, or about 2% of the island) of infrastructure and facilities. Carnival Corporation invested USD 15 million in the development project. Daily operations are handled by around 100 employees (residents from the nearby islands). This private island doesn't have deepwater dock, so ships are required to anchor and transport their passengers to the shore via tender boats.
Carnival's Half Moon Cay has a 2,5 ml / 4 km long beach. The infrastructure includes:
- Welcome Center - has Information Booth, Shore Excursions Booth, Ice Cream Parlor, Rumrunners Bar, restrooms.
- Bahamian Church (cruise weddings), Straw Market (gift shop)
- post office, first aid station, Food Pavilion (complimentary restaurant with open-air seating; burgers, hot dogs, salads, fresh fruit), three Water Sports centers (water toys rentals)
- Lookout Bar, Bell Bar, "I Wish I Could Stay Here Forever" Bar
- Sports Center, Half Moon Salon (hair / barber services, manicure / pedicure), Massage cabana (spa treatments)
- Club HAL (Holland America kids complex /complimentary programming)
- Half Moon Lagoon Aqua Park (kids water park with slides and climable sea creatures)
- tram, tender pier.
Among the Half Moon Cay's activities are swimming and sunbathing, scuba diving and snorkeling, jet-skiing, deep-sea fishing, parasailing, glass-bottom boating, horseback riding, cycling, nature walks, hiking. Available rentals are for Hobie catamarans, Sunfish sailboats, windsurfing boards, sea kayaks. The island also has sports facilities (volleyball-basketball courts), outdoor games (horseshoes shuffleboard), fitness track with outdoor exercise equipment. The island is also a preserve for migratory birds. The most popular Carnival shore excursions offered on Half Moon Cay are:
- TROPICAL KAYAK ADVENTURE ($45 pp / duration 1,25 hours / min age 6 yo) - through Bone Fish Lagoon
- HORSEBACK RIDING BY LAND & SEA ($100 pp / duration 1,25 hours, min age 10 yo)
- STINGRAY ADVENTURE ($30 pp / duration 1 hour / min age 6 yo)
- HALF MOON CAY SNORKEL BY BOAT ($60 pp / duration 1,5 hours / min age 8 yo) - snorkeling gear is provided.
Highlights: Watersports, Beaches, Barbecues
The Half Moon Cay cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Half Moon Cay, Carnival private island, Bahamas.
If you lose the Half Moon Cay location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Half Moon Cay cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Half Moon Cay, Carnival private island, Bahamas. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
2 October, 2016
3 October, 2016
4 October, 2016
5 October, 2016
6 October, 2016
10 October, 2016
11 October, 2016
12 October, 2016
13 October, 2016
15 October, 2016
16 October, 2016
17 October, 2016
18 October, 2016
19 October, 2016
20 October, 2016
22 October, 2016
23 October, 2016
24 October, 2016
25 October, 2016
26 October, 2016
27 October, 2016
28 October, 2016
29 October, 2016
30 October, 2016
31 October, 2016