Paros Island is in central Aegean Sea (Eastern Mediterranean) and one of Cyclades Islands group. Paros is located to the west of Naxos Island, from which is separated by a sea channel with width approx 5 ml (8 km). Paros is approx 100 ml (160 km) southeast of Piraeus-Athens, and has population around 14,000.
- The story about Paros of Parrhasia who colonized the island with Arcadians is etymological fiction of the type which abounds in Greek legends. Ancient names of the isle are said to have been Pactia (or Plateia), Cabarnis, Demetrias, Hyleessa, Hyria, Minoa and Strongyli (meaning round, because of the round shape of the island).
- Paros municipality includes numerous uninhabited isles, with a total land area of 196 km2 (76 ml2). Its nearest neighbor is its smaller sister island Antiparos (to the southwest). At its narrowest, the channel located between the two isles is less than 2 km (1 ml) wide.
- Car-carrying shuttle-ferry runs all day (to/from Pounda, 5 km/3 ml south of Parikia, the capital of Paros Island).
- Parikia is situated on a bay on island's north-west side and occupies the area of the ancient capital city of Paros. Parikia harbour is an important hub for Aegean islands catamarans and ferries, with several sailings per day for Piraeus, Heraklion and other islands like Ios, Mykonos, Naxos and Santorini. On September 26, 2000 the MS Express Samina ferry collided with Portes islets off the Parikia bay, killing 82 of the people onboard.
- Paros was famous for its fine white marble, that gave rise to the term "Parian" describing marble / china of similar qualities. Nowadays, abandoned marble mines can be found on the isle.
- Paros has a wealth of beaches, such as Chrissí Aktí (Golden Beach) close to Drios on the east coast, at Agia Irini, Logaras, Naousa Bay, Parikia, Piso Livadi, Pounda. The constant strong winds in the strait between Naxos and Paros make it a favourite windsurfing location.
Highlights: Paros town, Naoussa, Monastery of St John, Prodromos, Paroikia
Paros Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Paros Island dock (anchor) at Paros - port town on the central-western coast.
Port Paros Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Paros Island, Greece. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|2 October, 2018|
The Paros Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Paros Island, Greece.
If you lose the Paros Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
For the first time in 10 years, a ferry service was launched on Saturday, June 30, connecting Thessaloniki (northern Greece) with Crete and the...July 1, 2018
- show more news