Emerald Waterways fleet
Review of Emerald Waterways
Emerald Waterways is an affordable river cruise line company established in 2014 as a division of the Australian cruise and tour operator Scenic Tours. The parent company Scenic Tours offers everything from 5-star luxury riverboat cruises to land tours and coach travel excursions in Australia. The Scenic's river cruise brand is known on the Australian market as "Evergreen Waterways".
The Emerald cruise line debuted with 2 innovative top-luxury river ships - Sky and Star. In 2015, a second pair of sister-ships joined the fleet - Dawn and Sun. A 5th boat was scheduled for launch in 2016 (Emerald Belle), but a construction yard fire accident postponed the launch for 2017. The boat's name was also changed to "Destiny", joining the 2017 inaugurated Liberte and Radiance.
Overall, Emerald Waterways has raised the bar within the budget river cruising market. The company is positioned somewhere between the 3- and 4-star lines. It competes with established brands like Avalon Waterways and Viking Cruises by boasting less expensive fares and innovative design touches. As is the case with most European river travel companies, Emerald includes boat transfers and shore excursions/tours within the cost to the overall fare. However, unusual and in-depth shore excursions are offered optionally, and for a fee. Water, tea and coffee, as well as beer and house wine with dinner are ticket price-included. The line also arranges flights on case-by-case basis.
The Emerald cruise line serves typical European river travel afficionados. These are usually well-educated, 55+ river cruising veterans. The line also aims at younger demographic with its onboard amenity upgrades, like the indoor swimming pool that transforms into an outdoor cinema. Noticeable is that throughout your time on board, each member of the staff/crew maintains a perfect balance between friendly and professional. The following YouTube video provides information regarding the Emerald river cruise ships' accommodations (types, furniture, amenities, floorplan features.
One of the new river cruise companies, Emerald Waterways targets the European inland waterways cruising market exclusively. The line operates the following Scenic Tours company-owned riverboats:
- Emerald Belle (2016) was damaged by fire during construction, and replaced by Emerald Destiny (2017)
- Emerald Liberte (2017) - cruises in France (on Saone and Rhone rivers)
- Emerald Radiance (2017) - cruises on Douro River in Portugal
- Emerald Sky (2014)
- Emerald Star (2014)
- Emerald Sun (2015)
Emerald Waterways ships have some of the best crew to guest ratios on the European riverboats. One of the best innovations for the fleet is the dual-purpose area - the line's signature "pool cinema" complex) located Deck 3 aft on the "star ships". The area transforms from a heated indoor pool (with retractable roof) at day time into a cinema at night - an unique river cruise ship feature. The second impressive feature is the Emerald's balcony stateroom that transforms into a conservatory with a button-touch.
The rest of the innovations are fairly standard on newbuilds in the modern era of European river cruising. Among those are the private balconies for the majority of cabins, good-sized suites and open-air alternative dining spots. The alfresco dining area at bow of the ships provides informal alternative dining options for breakfast and lunch, but most meals are served in the Reflections Restaurant - the riverboat's main dining room.
Next YouTube video is about the line's river cruising experience. It provides information on onboard activities and amenities, along with the boats' best deckplan features.
Emerald Waterways cruise deals inclusions
Emerald Waterways river cruise tour deals are inclusive of:
- some flights (depending on market and special offers)
- all transfers (to and from the ship)
- guided sightseeing / shore excursions, also city tours
- gourmet dining, all meals onboard (and some ashore)
- (top suite cabins only) pre-dinner canapes, after-dinner sweet treats
- unlimited tea and coffee
- bottled water (in all cabins / replenished daily)
- free drinks (wine, beer, sof drinks, espresso, cappuccino) with every meal
- complimentary bicycle
- free Internet / WiFi access
- live onboard entertainment
- all onboard and excursion gratuities
- impeccable service.
Itinerary of Emerald Waterways
Vacation travelers wishing to explore Southeast Asia while experiencing a level of luxury style should check out the new Mekong River cruise itineraries of Emerald Waterways.
- A signature 16-day itinerary on the purpose-built Mekong Navigator riverboat explores Vietnam and Cambodia along the Mekong River.
- In addition to the 16-day river cruise tour from Hanoi to Siem Reap, Emerald Waterways offers an 8-day "Magnificent Mekong", 12-day "Mekong Discovery" and 19-day "Vietnam & Cambodia Explorer" B2B itineraries.
- Owned by the Austria-based company Lueftner Cruises, this luxurious ship is often charted by large European river cruise companies, including Uniworld, Emerald Waterways, Haimark Travel, Vantage Deluxe World Travel, Saga.
In 2017, Emerald Waterways promoted the company's new 2018 itineraries with free or reduced air on all 2017 European river cruises.
- Customers booking Balcony Suites on all 2017 European river cruise tour itineraries received free roundtrip airfare from major airports in the USA and Canada.
- Customers booking standard cabins on all European itineraries were eligible for a reduced airfare rate of USD 795 per person.
- Customers wishing to book their flights independently received USD 1,000 air credit in lieu of flights.
- This promo offer was on new bookings made by March 31, 2017.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All river passenger shipping line companies and their fleets are listed there.
Emerald Waterways related cruise news
Canadian newscaster Coleen Christie was named the godmother of the newest Star Ship of Emerald Waterways, Emerald Destiny. Coleen will be Canada...March 4, 2017
Emerald Waterways starts 2017 with the launch of 3 new river cruise ships, which will almost double its fleet and allow it to expand river...January 24, 2017
Evergreen Tours, also famous as Emerald Waterways, revealed another new cruise ship to be launched in Europe in 2017. Emerald Destiny will...August 28, 2016
- show more news