Great Stirrup Cay is part of Berry Islands (Bahamas). The small island (size 250 acres) was purchased by Norwegian Cruise Lines in 1977 from Belcher Oil Company. Later it was developed into a private island exclusively for NCL cruise ship passengers.
NCL private island Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas)
In June 2016, NCL announced the company's plans to do an extensive makeover of its Bahamian private island. The project is part of "The Norwegian Edge" (USD 400 million fleet renovation program) and includes adding new attractions, eateries, private villas, zip-line course, underwater sculpture garden, new lagoon, boardwalk (connecting the beach with the new entertainment complex). Great Stirrup Cay's new landscaping works alone will cost over USD 1 million. The private island destination was closed for refurbishment between August 25 and October 20, 2016. The closure mostly affected the short itineraries of Norwegian Sky, which instead visited Nassau and Grand Bahama.
- The new zip-line course (length 1000 ft / 305 m) has 2 parallel lines.
- The new underwater sculpture garden is a snorkeling / diving attraction (waterproof maps will be provided).
- The half-mile (800 m) long boardwalk (connecting the beach with a new complex) is also a scenic walkway (100,000 ft2 / 9,290 m2) of new pathways) with shaded areas and rest stops with bench seating.
- The half-acre sized new entertainment complex has sports facilities (basketball-volleyball courts, tennis tables), a stage for live performances, shaded picnic area, air-conditioned reception center (board games rentals, reservations, locker rooms), complimentary food bar.
- Abaco Taco is a complimentary taco bar near the new complex.
- LandShark Bar & Grill is another new (a la carte priced) eatery with indoor-outdoor seating.
- All the island's existing eateries and bars will be updated (decking, shaded areas, stools in all bars). Dining venues' seating capacity will be increased by 50%. The current buffet restaurant will be redesigned and increased in seating capacity.
- In the ship tendering area will be will added new lockers and restrooms.
- The new Lagoon Retreat is an adults-only private beach area with its own restaurant, covered area, air-conditioned private villas (one 4-room Spa Villa, plus 22 villas). The lagoon complex will have a swim-up bar; dedicated to families shallow water beach area, play / picnic area, Silver Palm restaurant (complimentary, indoor-outdoor seating, rooftop terrace), private room (75 seats, used for private events, catering service).
- The types of villas available for rent are Studios (2-4 people), 1-bedroom (4-6 people, with hot tub), 2-bedroom (10 people, with hot tub, 2 bathrooms). All villas are with an open-air terrace, en-suite bathroom, living room (dining area). Food and drink services are also offered. All villa rentals are price inclusive of air-conditioned shuttle transportation from the tender dock to Lagoon's reception. The new Lagoon Retreat is available to "The Haven" and all suite cruise passengers, also for passengers with purchased on-land Mandara Spa treatments. A limited number of passes for all passengers are available for purchasing on each NCL Bahamas cruise with Great Stirrup Cay.
- The island's renovations and upgrades are scheduled for completion by 2017 January. The private villas will be available for 2017 summer.
Next photo shows the island's Lagoon Retreat area.
Great Stirrup Cay cruise terminal
Below you can see the island's map showing its best attractions and amenities.
- The island's northern part has snorkeling areas and a surrounded by rocks sandy beach.
- The island's southern part has a helicopter field (signed "Great Stirrup Cay International Airport") as part of a former US military installation for satellite tracking.
- There is an original lighthouse (constructed in 1863).
- The most common tree is the coconut palm, which milk and meat is used in most of the drink recipes.
- As wildlife, the island has different varieties of lizards and land crabs, seagulls and sanderlings (waders / shorebirds).
- Climate is tropical. Average temperatures are 75 F / 24 C (December-April) and 85–93 F / 29–34 C (May-November). Average sea water temperatures are 81–86 F / 27–30 C (May-November) and 77 F / 25 C (December-April).
The Great Stirrup Cay cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Great Stirrup Cay, NCL private island, Bahamas.
If you lose the Great Stirrup Cay location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Great Stirrup Cay cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Great Stirrup Cay, NCL private island, Bahamas. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
1 January, 2017
5 January, 2017
7 January, 2017
8 January, 2017
11 January, 2017
12 January, 2017
13 January, 2017
15 January, 2017
17 January, 2017
20 January, 2017
22 January, 2017
27 January, 2017
Imagine saving up money for a themed cruise of a lifetime, just to spend it on a nightmare. According to cruisers, this is exactly what...November 9, 2016
Damage from Hurricane Matthew delayed the opening of Great Stirrup Cay, the private island of Norwegian Cruise Line in the Bahamas, until November 20...October 26, 2016
While most cruise lines got back to their normal itineraries after Matthew, the hurricane affected some cruise ports in the Bahamas, most...October 12, 2016
As part of its investment program Norwegian Edge, NCL (Norwegian Cruise Line) will close Great Stirrup Cay (its private island) for refurbishment...August 24, 2016
Facing severe opposition from nearby residents, Disney Cruise Line canceled plans to build a cruise port on an unspoiled Bahamian island. Line's...July 24, 2016
Norwegian Cruise Line announced plans to upgrade facilities at its private island in the Bahamas, Great Stirrup Cay. Norwegian will increase...June 5, 2016
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) raised the price of its Ultimate Beverage Package from US $69 to US $79 per day, and the price of its specialty dining...March 1, 2016
Pitbull's latest music video "Freedom" features the newest ship of Norwegian Cruise Line, Norwegian Escape. The line also promotes the upcoming 2017...February 21, 2016
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) launched a $400 mill cruise ship refurbishment program named "The Norwegian Edge." Aspects of the program include a...January 22, 2016
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has confirmed that the launch of Harvest Caye will be postponed until November 2016, 9 months after it was...January 14, 2016