Great Stirrup Cay is part of Berry Islands (Bahamas). The small island (size 250 acres) was purchased by Norwegian Cruise Lines in 1977 from Belcher Oil Company. Later it was developed into a private island exclusively for NCL cruise ship passengers.
NCL private island Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas)
Below you can see the island's map showing its best attractions and amenities.
- The island's northern part has snorkeling areas and a surrounded by rocks sandy beach.
- The island's southern part has a helicopter field (signed "Great Stirrup Cay International Airport") as part of a former US military installation for satellite tracking.
- There is an original lighthouse (constructed in 1863).
- The most common tree is the coconut palm, which milk and meat is used in most of the drink recipes.
- As wildlife, the island has different varieties of lizards and land crabs, seagulls and sanderlings (waders / shorebirds).
- Climate is tropical. Average temperatures are 75 F / 24 C (December-April) and 85–93 F / 29–34 C (May-November). Average sea water temperatures are 81–86 F / 27–30 C (May-November) and 77 F / 25 C (December-April).
In June 2016, NCL announced the company's plans to do an extensive makeover of its Bahamian private island. The project is part of "The Norwegian Edge" (USD 400 million fleet renovation program) and includes adding new attractions, eateries, private villas, zip-line course, underwater sculpture garden, new lagoon, boardwalk (connecting the beach with the new entertainment complex). Great Stirrup Cay's new landscaping works alone will cost over USD 1 million. The private island destination was closed for refurbishment between August 25 and October 20, 2016. The closure mostly affected the short itineraries of Norwegian Sky, which instead visited Nassau and Grand Bahama.
- The new zip-line course (length 1000 ft / 305 m) has 2 parallel lines.
- The new underwater sculpture garden is a snorkeling / diving attraction (waterproof maps will be provided).
- The half-mile (800 m) long boardwalk (connecting the beach with a new complex) is also a scenic walkway (100,000 ft2 / 9,290 m2) of new pathways) with shaded areas and rest stops with bench seating.
- The half-acre sized new entertainment complex has sports facilities (basketball-volleyball courts, tennis tables), a stage for live performances, shaded picnic area, air-conditioned reception center (board games rentals, reservations, locker rooms), complimentary food bar.
- Abaco Taco is a complimentary taco bar near the new complex.
- LandShark Bar & Grill is another new (a la carte priced) eatery with indoor-outdoor seating.
- All the island's existing eateries and bars will be updated (decking, shaded areas, stools in all bars). Dining venues' seating capacity will be increased by 50%. The current buffet restaurant will be redesigned and increased in seating capacity.
- In the ship tendering area will be will added new lockers and restrooms.
- The new Lagoon Retreat is an adults-only private beach area with its own restaurant, covered area, air-conditioned private villas (one 4-room Spa Villa, plus 22 villas). The lagoon complex will have a swim-up bar; dedicated to families shallow water beach area, play / picnic area, Silver Palm restaurant (complimentary, indoor-outdoor seating, rooftop terrace), private room (75 seats, used for private events, catering service).
- The types of villas available for rent are Studios (2-4 people), 1-bedroom (4-6 people, with hot tub), 2-bedroom (10 people, with hot tub, 2 bathrooms). All villas are with an open-air terrace, en-suite bathroom, living room (dining area). Food and drink services are also offered. All villa rentals are price inclusive of air-conditioned shuttle transportation from the tender dock to Lagoon's reception. The new Lagoon Retreat is available to "The Haven" and all suite cruise passengers, also for passengers with purchased on-land Mandara Spa treatments. A limited number of passes for all passengers are available for purchasing on each NCL Bahamas cruise with Great Stirrup Cay.
- The island's renovations and upgrades are scheduled for completion by 2017 January. The private villas will be available for 2017 summer.
The Great Stirrup Cay cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Great Stirrup Cay, NCL private island, Bahamas.
If you lose the Great Stirrup Cay location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Great Stirrup Cay cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Great Stirrup Cay, NCL private island, Bahamas. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
23 October, 2016
27 October, 2016
30 October, 2016