Inchon (officially Incheon Metropolitan City) is located in northwestern South Korea, bordering Gyeonggi and Seoul to the east. Today, around 3 million people live in the city, ranking it Korea’s 3rd most populous (following Seoul and Busan). The city's growth has been assured in modern times with the development of the port due to its natural advantages as coastal city and the proximity to the South Korean capital. It's part of Seoul Capital Area, along with Seoul and Gyeonggi Province, forming the 2nd-largest metropolitan area by population in the world.
As international port, Inchon was opened in 1883. In 2003, the city was designated as Korea's first "free economic zone". Since then, global enterprises and large Korean companies have increasingly invested in Incheon Free Economic Zone, including Samsung company which chose Songdo International City as its new investment destination for bio industry.
Incheon is South Korea's main (largest) seaport located in Incheon City.
- In 2016, Incheon cruise port handled a total of 62 ship calls and around 165,000 passengers. Of those, 47 (around 75.8%) were departures from China. In 2016, South Korea was visited by around 2 million cruise ship tourists - an increase of 130% over 2015. The country was included in a total of 811 cruise itineraries, of which 534 to Jeju, 215 to Busan and 62 to Incheon.
- Official statistical data (reported by Korea's Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries) for 2016 showed that a foreign cruise passenger spends on average nearly USD 890 (on tours / excursions, shopping, food, drinks, services).
- In March 2017, Incheon - a major port of call for cruise ships from China to South Korea and Japan, was on alert as China's government officially ordered Chinese travel agencies to halt selling South Korean cruises. The measure was in retaliation for Seoul's push for US military deployment (advanced anti-missile system) on its territory. China harshly criticized South Korea's decision to introduce the advanced THAAD system, posing threats to its security.
- In 2017, the port had 43 scheduled cruise ship visits (later reduced to 21), of which 30 (around 70%) were pre-booked as departures from China ports. Among the 2017's newcomers was the China-homeported Princess Cruises liner Majestic Princess (maiden call on July 7).
In 2017, Port Incheon reported a record year with processed over 3 million TEUs (containers). TEU refers to containerized cargo transported on container ships in 20-ft container boxes. The special occasion was celebrated by the Incheon Port Authority in Sheraton Grand Incheon Hotel on December 27, 2017.
- The 3 million TEU record was preceded by 1 million TEUs (handled in 2005) and 2 million TEUs (in 2013), The port's 2017 record shipping volume ranked it as the world's 47th among the largest container ports.
- The container shipping volume was handled by serving cargo vessels on a total of 49 routes (for comparison - just 26 routes in 2005).
- Besides the TEU volume, the port's impact on the local economy is also significant as it generates 33,8% of the region’s gross national product and provides 6,4 local jobs per 10,000 TEUs (1920 jobs in 2017).
- The port is expected to enter the world's top 30 containerports list by the year 2025, handling over 4 million TEUs..
Incheon cruise terminal
Via a joint venture company, the South Korean government is currently building a new cruise ship terminal in Port Incheon. The "International Passenger Terminal" is an USD 580 million investment. When completed in 2019, the new cruise ship facility will have capacity to berth even the world's largest cruise ships of the Royal Caribbean's Oasis class.
Incheon Port International Terminal (Golden Harbor)
The cruise terminal project's size is 0,8 km2 (0,3 ml2). Tha land area is located northwest of Songdo City. It includes cruise ship terminal (futuristic building), retail dining venues, an outdoor park space, an Yacht Club , Water Park, large shopping mall, Urban Entertainment Center, resort hotels.
The designer company is Cuningham Group. The innovative concept makes the cruise facility a leisure destination. The waterfront open-air park is along the shoreline and features an yacht club and a boat marina. The indoor-outdoor water park is also along the shoreline and features an entertainment pier with popular attractions.
The cruise terminal is part of Incheon Port Authority's plan for developing an international tourism complex (named "Golden Harbor") that targets a market (including passenger shipping) of around 3 million per year. Construction works on the new passenger terminal started on April 29, 2016. The terminal building's construction started in October 2016. Works on a new cruise ship terminal are scheduled to start in October 2018, with completion in early 2019 and berthing capacity of 2 large liners simultaneously.
The Golden Harbor project comprises a new cruise ship wharf, passenger terminal building (with logistics facilities) and a harbor leisure complex. The project will result in numerous culture and leisure activities, plus an exclusive area for international cruise passengers. The project's 1st stage included the construction of transport networks (roads) and facilities for the cruise harbor.
The 2nd stage includes construction of hotels and condos around the cruise harbor, with scheduled completion in April 2018. The budget for the project was funded by the Korean government, the Incheon Port Authority and also by private investors.
The Golden Harbor will be used as cruise tourism complex by both Korean citizens and international tourists.
Port Incheon cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Incheon, Seoul, South Korea. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|5 October, 2018|
|16 October, 2018|
|25 October, 2018|
|29 October, 2018|
The Incheon cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Incheon, Seoul, South Korea.
If you lose the Incheon location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
Incheon Port Authority announced it planned to introduce inter-Korean cruise program in order to promote nation’s cruise tourism. According to...August 17, 2018
- show more news