Incheon is a Metro City in northwestern South Korea, bordering Gyeonggi and Seoul (50 km / 30 ml) to the east. Today, around 3 million people live in the city, ranking it Korea’s 3rd most populous (following Seoul and Busan). City's growth is mainly based on the development of the seaport and the proximity to country's capital. Incheon is part of Seoul Capital Area (Seoul and Gyeonggi), forming world's 2nd-largest metro area by population (over 25,5 million, or around 1/2 of Korea's total population).
As international port, Inchon was opened in 1883. In 2003, the city was designated as Korea's first "free economic zone". Since then, global enterprises and large Korean companies have increasingly invested in Incheon Free Economic Zone, including Samsung company which chose Songdo International City as its new investment destination for bio industry.
Incheon is South Korea's main (largest) seaport located in Incheon City.
- In 2016, Incheon cruise port handled a total of 62 ship calls and around 165,000 passengers. Of those, 47 (around 75.8%) were departures from China. In 2016, South Korea was visited by around 2 million cruise ship tourists - an increase of 130% over 2015. The country was included in a total of 811 cruise itineraries, of which 534 to Jeju, 215 to Busan and 62 to Incheon.
- Official statistical data (reported by Korea's Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries) for 2016 showed that a foreign cruise passenger spends on average nearly USD 890 (on tours / excursions, shopping, food, drinks, services).
- In March 2017, Incheon - a major port of call for cruise ships from China to South Korea and Japan, was on alert as China's government officially ordered Chinese travel agencies to halt selling South Korean cruises. The measure was in retaliation for Seoul's push for US military deployment (advanced anti-missile system) on its territory. China harshly criticized South Korea's decision to introduce the advanced THAAD system, posing threats to its security.
- In 2017, the port had 43 scheduled cruise ship visits (later reduced to 21), of which 30 (around 70%) were pre-booked as departures from China ports. Among the 2017's newcomers was the China-homeported Princess Cruises liner Majestic Princess (maiden call on July 7).
In 2017, Port Incheon reported a record year with processed over 3 million TEUs (containers). TEU refers to containerized cargo transported on container ships in 20-ft container boxes. The special occasion was celebrated by the Incheon Port Authority in Sheraton Grand Incheon Hotel on December 27, 2017.
- The 3 million TEU record was preceded by 1 million TEUs (handled in 2005) and 2 million TEUs (in 2013), The port's 2017 record shipping volume ranked it as the world's 47th among the largest container ports.
- The container shipping volume was handled by serving cargo vessels on a total of 49 routes (for comparison - just 26 routes in 2005).
- Besides the TEU volume, the port's impact on the local economy is also significant as it generates 33,8% of the region’s gross national product and provides 6,4 local jobs per 10,000 TEUs (1920 jobs in 2017).
- The port is expected to enter the world's top 30 containerports list by the year 2025, handling over 4 million TEUs..
Incheon cruise terminal
Via a joint venture company, the South Korean government is currently building a new cruise terminal in Port Incheon (in Songdo Business District). The new "International Passenger Terminal" is an USD 580 million investment. When completed (in April 2019), the new cruise ship facility will have capacity to berth even world's largest cruise ships of Royal Caribbean's Oasis-class (GT 228000 tons, LOA length 362 m, max passengers 6370 plus 2400 crew).
Incheon International Terminal (Golden Harbor, Songdo)
Cruise terminal's size is 0,8 km2 (0,3 ml2). It is located northwest of Songdo City and includes passenger terminal (futuristic building), retail dining venues, outdoor park, Yacht Club , Water Park, large shopping mall, Urban Entertainment Center, resort hotels.
Designer company is Cuningham Group. The innovative concept makes the facility itself a leisure destination. The waterfront open-air park is along the shoreline and features yacht club and boat marina. The indoor-outdoor water park is also along the shoreline and features entertainment pier with popular attractions (including Ferris wheel).
The new cruise terminal is part of Incheon Port Authority's plan for developing an international tourism complex (named "Golden Harbor") that targets a market (including passenger shipping) of around 3 million per year. Construction works started on April 29, 2016. Terminal building's construction started in October 2016. Works on the new cruise ship terminal started in October 2018, with scheduled completion in April 2019.
The Golden Harbor project comprises a new docking wharf, passenger terminal building (with logistics facilities) and harbor leisure complex. The facility allows numerous culture and leisure activities, plus an exclusive area for international cruise passengers. Project's 1st stage included construction of transport networks (roads) and facilities for the new harbour.
2nd stage included construction of hotels and condos around the cruise harbour, completed in April 2018. Project's budget was funded by South Korean government, Incheon Port Authority and also by private investors.
Terminal's berthing capacity is 2 large liners simultaneously. Pier's length is 430 m (1411 ft). Golden Harbor International terminal will be used as cruise tourism complex by both Korean citizens and international tourists.
Port Incheon cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Incheon, Seoul, South Korea. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|25 February, 2019|
The Incheon cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Incheon, Seoul, South Korea.
If you lose the Incheon location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
Incheon Port Authority announced its plans to introduce inter-Korean cruise program in order to promote country’s cruise tourism. According to...August 17, 2018
- show more news