Savona is a port city is located on the Italian Riviera (Riviera di Ponente) close to Genoa. The city covers a total area of approx 65,55 km2 (25,31 ml2) and has a population of around 61,350 inhabitants (2016 census).
- The city of Savona is not flashy but attracts with its reach history, great architecture and long beautiful beaches. An interesting fact is that the famous explorer Christopher Columbus settled here to record his voyages’ account.
- The official language is Italian, English is not widely spoken in Savona. Most of the shops do not work in the interval 1PM-4PM. Savona cruise port is a major Mediterranean port and serves as a bridge to Corsica.
- Main sights in Savona include: The Cathedral of Assunta (Cattedrale dell'Assunta, built after Genoese demolition of the city's old cathedral), The Sistine Chapel (Cappella Sistina, adjacent to the Cathedral, built 1480-1483, containing the Mausoleum created by Della Rovere Pope Sixtus IV in honor of his parents), The church of Nostra Signora di Castello, The Sanctuary of Nostra Signora della Misericordia, The Torre Leon Pancaldo (Leon Pancaldo Tower), The Torre del Brandale (Brandale Tower), The Priamar fortress (built in 1542), The Palazzo Della Rovere, The Palazzo Gavotti, The Palazzo Delle Piane.
- Port of Savona is the 4th cruise port by number of cruise passengers in Italy (1,300,000 in 2013). The port is adjacent to the historic centre of the city of Savona and has been active since the Middle Ages. Port of Savona has always been important for the economy of the regional capital and hinterland. An important terminal for ferries, there are links to Sardinia and Corsica through the companies Saremar and Corsica Ferries.
- Savona cruise port is the home port of Costa Cruises.
Highlights: Finale Ligure villages, Genoa
Savona cruise terminal
Savona cruise port terminal is 35 km from Genoa airport, 160 km from Cote d’Azur (Nizza) and 220 km from Malpensa (Milan).
The terminal of Savona cruise port opened in 2003. It is operated by Costa Crociere. The Palacrociere terminal serves mainly as homeport. The facilities for check in/out and baggage handling are design to be very efficient. The building has three levels, internet access, cafes and restaurants. The total area of Savona cruise port terminal is 8,300 square meters. There is a huge balcony (1,200 square meters). The parking area for cars, buses and taxis is covered.
Savona cruise port terminal is within walking distance from the city center (300 m), you just need to cross a bridge. Close to Palacrociere, there is a train station.
In 2008, Costa Crociere launched a new quay. Savona cruise port terminal can accommodate three ships simultaneously. Parking daily rate: is EUR 12 per vehicle.
Savona tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Priamar Fortress: dates from 1542. It was built by the Genoese and served as a prison for a long time. The Primar fortress is close to Rocca di San Georgio.
- Cappella Sistina: dates from the 1480s. The style of the building is in Rococo and it houses a mausoleum. It was constructed by Pope Sixtus IV. The Cappella Sistina is close to the cathedral.
- Palazzo Della Rovere: an old unfinished palace. It had to serve as a palace, then it had to be university but it still stands unfinished located near the cathedral.
- The Old Towers: the old towers of Savona are five and are in different areas of the city. Those are the ones that survived the attack in the 16th century.
- Church of Nostra Signiora de Castello: the most interesting about this place is its interior. The most popular attraction is the piece of the alter. Its designer is Vincenzo Foppa.
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Mercy: located 7 km from Savona cruise port. The place appeared to be the shelter of Our Lady. There is a church that dates from the 1536. The architecture is impressive Baroque. Inside the church is painted by hand over centuries by various artists.
- Christopher Columbus’s House: the house of the famous explorer is some kilometers from Savo cruise port. He spent here many of his young years.
The Savona cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Savona, Italy.
If you lose the Savona location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Savona cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Savona, Italy. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
3 November, 2017
4 November, 2017
5 November, 2017
9 November, 2017
11 November, 2017
12 November, 2017
13 November, 2017
14 November, 2017
16 November, 2017
18 November, 2017
19 November, 2017
20 November, 2017
24 November, 2017
25 November, 2017
26 November, 2017
28 November, 2017