Specifications of Costa Toscana
|Year built||2021 new ship|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Turku, Finland)|
|Building cost||EUR 790 million (USD 950 million)|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||337 m / 1106 ft|
|Beam (width)||42 m / 138 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||183900 gt|
|Passengers||5322 - 6338|
|Decks with cabins||11|
|Sister-ships||AIDAnova, AIDAcosma, AIDA 2023, P&O Iona, Costa Smeralda, Carnival Mardi Gras|
Costa Toscana Review
Review of Costa Toscana
Costa Toscana cruise ship is from the new Helios-class vessels ordered by Carnival Corporation. The ship order agreement with Meyer Werft was signed in July 2015 and included construction of all 4 new cruise ships. The contract was finalized in April 2016. Of these 4 vessels, 2 are for Costa Cruises and the other 2 for AIDA Cruises (Carnival's German brand). Other Excellence-Class liners (Costa Toscana's sisterships) are Carnival Mardi Gras (2020), P&O Iona (2019), Costa Smeralda (2019 December), AIDAnova (2018), AIDAcosma (2021), AIDAtbn (2023).
History - construction and ownership
Costa Cruises is a Genoa-headquartered subsidiary company owned by Carnival Corporation. Costa is Europe's second-largest cruise line (after MSC) with year-round operations in the Mediterranean. Costa was founded in 1854 as a cargo shipping company. It started passenger shipping services in 1947, with regular Transatlantic crossings between Europe (Italy) and South America. In 2000, Costa Cruises was acquired by Carnival Corporation (shipowner).
The new Costa ships were scheduled for delivery in 2019 (Smeralda) and 2021 (Toscana). Costa cruise liners were built in Turku Finland, AIDA's - in Papenburg Germany. Each vessel has a gross tonnage of 183,000 tons, over 2600 cabins, double-occupancy passenger capacity 5200 (max 6600) and crew capacity around 700.
Ship's design features more efficient use of both indoor and open-deck spaces, with several multi-functional areas. Deck 16 is the activity deck with a water slide, water park, high rope garden, mini-golf. The pool deck is covered with a retractable glass roof. The Beach Club (adults only complex) is beneath the glass roof and features an activity area with 2 waterslides, rock climbing wall, sports deck area. This deck also has a giant LED wall for movies and other outdoor video entertainment. The ship has dedicated club lounges for teens and kids, including for toddlers.
Ship's panoramic glass elevators also connect the outdoor areas. There is a 45-m above water level located glass-bottomed skywalk, huge wellness complex (Organic Spa and Fitness), a plaza with numerous bars and shops, Atrium Lobby lounge (meeting place with a stage for street performers), large-capacity Theater (show lounge).
The new liners for Costa and AIDA are industry's first fully LNG-powered cruise vessels, generating all of the onboard and propulsion power from LNG (abbrev Liquefied Natural Gas) - both in ports and at sea. With the new vessels, Costa Group had a fleet of 7 ships on order. This brand new fleet has a total capacity of 41,000 berths. In comparison, the combined total capacity of Costa's fleet is 110,000 berths.
The 4-vessel contract was part of a previously announced larger shipbuilding order with Fincantieri (Italy) and Meyer Werft for all 9 new vessels with scheduled deliveries between 2019 and 2022.
Managed by Costa Group, the Costa and AIDA combined fleet is Europe's largest. In 2014, one out of every two cruise ship tourists in Europe sailed on either AIDA or Costa ship. In 2015, Costa Group had 20 offices in 14 countries, around 27,000 shipboard employees and total passenger capacity of over 68,000 berths (across the combined fleet). Costa Group also is the leader of China's rapidly growing cruise market in Asia.
Besides the ship's staff and crew, Costa cruise passengers are also served by Peper robots - the latest cyborg technology implemented fleetwide in 2016. These humanoid robots greet and guide passengers upon embarkation. They also assist them throughout the cruise by providing information and tips on onboard dining, entertainment, enrichment program (workshops, pre-scheduled events), casino and shopping promotions, shore excursions and tours. Pepper robots are mobile and communicate in 3 languages (English, German, Italian). They can also interpret human emotions by analyzing voice tones and facial expressions.
Cruise itinerary program
Costa Toscana itinerary program is yet to be announced. What is known so far is that at least the inaugural cruise season will be a Mediterranean deployment, with 7-day roundtrips leaving from Italian homeports - most probably Civitavecchia-Rome, Savona, Genoa. Itineraries could be visiting large port cities in France and Spain, including Barcelona and Marseille.
Costa Toscana's 14-day inaugural cruise (maiden voyage) leaves from Hamburg Germany on June 28, 2021, ending in Savona Italy. The itinerary visits Lisbon, Barcelona, Civitavecchia-Rome, Marseille, Palma de Mallorca, and Palermo Sicily.
Staterooms (designed by Dordoni Architetti) are decorated depending on deck (city theme). For all passenger cabins were contracted Italian companies to provide their furniture (Molteni&C, Roda), matrasses (Dorelan), lighting (Flos), fabrics and upholstery (Dedar Milano, Rubelli). Among the Italian suppliers are also the brands Kartell (tables, chairs, furnishing accessories), Poltrona Frau (sofas, chairs, armchairs, tables, side tables), Alessi (kitchen accessories).
All Costa Toscana cabins offer as standard amenities sleeping area (twin beds convertible to Queen-size, bedside tables, reading lamps), lounge/living area (sofabed, ottoman seat/couch, low/coffee table, mirrored vanity table/desk with chair, sliding wardrobe/closet with drawers and hangers), flat HDTV (infotainment system, satellite reception, Internet, on-demand movies), direct-dial phone, electronic safe box (in the closet), hairdryer, en-suite bathroom (WC, shower cubicle), mini-bar/fridge, individual air-conditioning, complimentary 24-hour room service, complimentary in-cabin Continental breakfast. Most staterooms are equipped with single/double sofa bed or Pullman/bunk beds for 3rd/4th person.
The largest Costa Toscana cabins are category GS-Grand Suites (33 m2) with large balconies (9 m2), dressing room, large bathroom (whirlpool bathtub, shower, WC/bidet), larger living area sectional double sofabed). Standard Suites are smaller-sized (27 m2) and with a smaller balcony (5 m2). Terrace Suite is a new for Costa Cruises cabin type featuring a large-sized (8 m2) step-out balcony.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Dining onboard Costa Toscana includes 16 different options, 18 bar venues, 4 main dining room restaurants /MDRs (Arleccchino, Il Meneghino, Il Rugantino, La Colombina), 2 buffet-style eateries, 5 food courts. Ship's 3 specialty restaurants (at extra charge) are Pizzeria Pummid'oro (Italian-style), Teppanyaki (Japanese food) and Laboratorio Del Gusto (where passengers can create their own food). Costa Club Perla Diamante level (loyalty program members) enjoy complimentary the exclusive Bellavista Restaurant, while Suite passengers can dine at their exclusive Panorama Restaurant.
Follows the complete list of Costa Toscana restaurants and food bars.
- Main Restaurants (waiter-served) include Arleccchino, Il Meneghino, Il Rugantino, and La Colombina.
- Teppanyaki Restaurant (at extra cost) is decorated in an Oriental style. Here can be ordered Japanese seafood specialties (sushi, sashimi, etc). Restaurant's tables are arranged around a large cooking table where the chefs prepare each meal at a time.
- Buffet / Self-Service Restaurant (Ristorante Buffet La Sagra dei Sapori) offers light snacks and full lunches, as well as quick dinner meals. La Sagra dei Sapori Restaurant provides scenic ocean views and menus including a variety of dishes (vegetarian, salads, fish, meat, pasta), delicious desserts and kids-menu options.
- Classic Restaurant (MDR) offers typical Italian or international freshly-prepared breakfasts. At dinner are offered some of the best-known Italian dishes, including cappelletti with braised meat, fillet of beef alla Rossini, Sardinian fregola with fresh vegetables, plus gourmet dishes from the seaports along the cruise itinerary. The most popular Italian dishes are at extra charge - like Cotoletta (veal breaded cutlet) or onboard-made Mozzarella (cheese from buffalo milk).
- Ristorante Tutti a Tavola is a family restaurant with live entertainment and fun activities.
- Pizzeria Pummid’oro's menu has 14 pizzas (by the slice) - from Margherita, Four Seasons, Calzone, and Napoli, to the gourmet cheese focaccia from Liguria, plus excellent draft beers and wines (by the glass) and a selection of desserts. Pizzeria's food is prepared with simple and natural ingredients, including extra virgin olive oil and fresh-made mozzarella cheese.
- Laboratorio Del Gusto (Taste Lab Restaurant) offers various made-your-own dinner options.
- The Salty Beach Street Food
- Bellavista is an exclusive restaurant for Costa Club Perla Diamante level passengers.
- Panorama is an exclusive suite-only restaurant.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Costa Toscana ship's entertainment options include Liquid Entertainment (live music, dancing, thrilling shows and other live performances at venues like Colosseum and Piazza Trastevere (bow-located). Piazza Grande Bellezza is a midship-located amphitheater/show lounge for live performances, while Piazza Ravello is an open space with a bar lounge area (with live music and served by Spritz Bar). Live entertainment (DJs and pianists) can be also found throughout the restaurants. Fun street performances are held in several public areas. Ship's best spots for evening entertainment are Casino Laguna (gaming lounge with bar) and Quelli Della Notte (piano bar).
Ship's wellness complex includes a large Fitness Center/Gym, and the Samsara Spa (beauty salon, thalassotherapy pool, sauna, salt room, snow room, relaxation room, Turkish Bath/hammam, treatment rooms for massages). The cruise liner Toscana has 4 swimming pools - La Spiaggia (central/glass roof covered), Settimo Cielo (outside, with a swimming lane) plus 2 for kids. Children also benefit from the Aqua Park and La Sala Giochi (teens-only interactive game room). Younger children can play at Luna Park. The CoDe Museum on Costa Toscana is fleet's second (after Smeralda) Italian design-themed museum. The Trastevere (deck 8 forward) is a Mediterranean marketplace-style complex lined up with shops and bars (also representing the premium brands Ferrari, Illy, Campari).
Follows the complete list of Costa Toscana lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Teatro Sanremo (Theater Lounge, Grand Theatre) is offered a different Broadway-style show production each night, with professional performances by national and international artists (singers, dancers, acrobats, magicians, stand-up comedians). Talent shows allow passengers to become a star performing on stage.
- Liquid Entertainment programming features live music and shows, dancing and other performances at the Colosseum and Piazza Trastevere. Colosseo is a 3-deck-high, midship-located show lounge (on 3 levels) featuring large LED screens mounted on its walls and dome. The large screens display also ship's current cruise itinerary (as call ports and land tours) via themed videos.
- Piazza Grande Bellezza (amphitheater)
- Piazza Ravello (open space with a bar lounge area, live music, Spritz Bar)
- CoDe Museum showcases the best of the Italian design companies.
- Amarillo Ice Cream Shop & Chocolate Bar uses Agrimontana-based flavorings to prepare creamy Italian gelato (frozen desserts) and Italian confectionery made from Gobino chocolate and Biasetto (pastry shop) sweets.
- At the Teen Club (ages 12 to 17) teenagers are divided into 2 age groups - Teen Club Junior (12-14-year-olds) and Teen Club (15-17-year-olds). Among the most popular events are sports tournaments, disco and game competitions, themed dinners, open-deck pool parties, dance and music classes.
- The Beach Club (adults-only complex) is beneath the glass roof and has an activity area with 2 waterslides, rock climbing wall, sports deck area and outdoor theater with a giant LED wall for movies and other media).
- La Sala Giochi is an interactive game room for teens.
- Luna Park is an outdoor playground for kids.
- Aqua Park Toscana (outdoor park with water slides)
- Ship's 4 swimming pools are named La Spiaggia (midship, glass roof covered), Settimo Cielo (with a swimming lane, and is served by Bar Settimo Cielo / Seventh Heaven Bar), plus 2 kids pools.
- Sun Deck Private 19 is an adults-only sundeck area with swimming pools and jacuzzi.
- Passeggiata Volare (Fly Walk) is a Skywalk - glass-bottomed walkway located 65 m / 213 ft above sea level
- Campo da Gioco (Sports Court) is an outdoor playground for playing basketball/volleyball.
- Palestra Virtus (Gymnasium / Fitness Center) is fitted with the latest Technogym equipment.
- Centro Benessere Samsara (SPA & Massage) is ship's wellness complex consisting of Venus Beauty Salon, thalassotherapy pool, sauna room, 16 treatment rooms (thermal massage, stone massage, Lime & Ginger massage).
- Trastevere is a marketplace-like string of shops and bars on deck 8. Shopping options also include Costa Boutique (branded merchandise) and Shop II Mercatino.
- Photo Shop, Area Foto (Photo Gallery and Shop)
- Lungomare Riviera (Promenade Deck)
- Piazza di Spagna
- Nutella Cafe
- Aperol Spritz Bar
- Quelli Della Notte (Piano Bar / Jazz Club)
- II cielo in una stanza (Piano Bar)
- Grand Bar Mastroianni
- Terazza e Bar Superba (outdoor bar lounge)
- Bar Orizzonte (Horizon Bar)
- Spazio Bollicine
- Bar II mattino
- Bar II Sole
- II Bacaro
- La Vetta
- Bar Maranello
- Bar La Cascata
- Casino & Bar Laguna, Disco Nightclub
Costa Toscana - user reviews and comments
Photos of Costa ToscanaAdd Photo
Costa Toscana ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Assembly work started on Tuesday, February 11, at the Meyer shipyard in Turku, Finland on the hull of Costa Toscana, the 2nd ship in the Costa...February 14, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Costa Cruises announced major news with the strengthening of the Italian line in the Mediterranean – a historic destination topping the...September 1, 2019
- Cruise Industry
The Italian brand of Carnival Corporation & plc, Costa Cruises, celebrated on Tuesday, July 30, the first steel-cutting for the brand's 2nd ship...July 30, 2019
- show more news
Other Costa Cruises cruise ships
Costa Toscana Wiki
On July 30, 2019, at Meyer Turku Shipyard (in Perno, Finland) was held the vessel's steel-cutting ceremony. The Toscana ship is scheduled for delivery in June 2021. The sistership Costa Smeralda was delivered in December 2019. Vessel's max draught is 8,6 m (28 ft). Its service/cruising speed is 17 knots (32 kph / 20 mph).
For Toscana ship's steel-cutting was used for the first time a new plasma cutter/panel line part of Meyer Werft's EUR 100+ million investments inside Perno yard's steel halls. For both liners, the German shipbuilder contracted ALMACO Group to supply all staterooms (pre-fabricated passengers and crew cabins), wet units, provision stores, also the galley/kitchen equipment.
Costa Toscana's hull assembly started on February 11, 2020, at Meyer Turku Shipyard's drydock hall. The special keel-laying ceremony was attended by Neil Palomba (Costa Cruises' President) and Jan Meyer (Meyer Turku Oy's CEO). The ceremony's Godmother was Minna Arve (Turku City's Mayor). Hull's first pre-assembled section was the 100-meter long FERU (engine room unit). Traditionally, under the vessel's first hull block were placed coins for good luck.
The new Costa liner is named after Tuscany (Toscana) - a 23,000 km2 (8,900 ml2) sized region in central Italy with population around 4 million and capital city Florence (after which is named the fleetmate Costa Firenze). Tuscany's Etruscan Coast (Costa degli Etruschi) is best-known for its white-sand beaches, the list of which includes Rosignano Solvay San Vincenzo, Lido di San Vincenzo. Other large beaches are Portoferraio's Spiaggia di Sansone (on Elba Island), Versilia's La Lecciona (Viareggio) and Marina di Pietrasanta (Pietrasanta), Marina di Vecchiano's Spiaggia del Gombo, Scarlino's Cala Violina, Porto Santo Stefano's Cala del Gesso, Poggio Pertuso's La Feniglia, Monte Argentario's La Cacciarella.
Like most large-sized newbuilds, the Costa ship Toscana is LNG-powered, with 4x Caterpillar Marine LNG engines (model MaK 16M-46DF) generating combined output 57,2 MW. The propulsion system is based on two Azimuting thrusters (combined power output 37 MW). The ship has 3x LNG tanks (cryogenic steel) with total capacity ~3200 m3. Two of the tanks are larger (length 35 m, diameter 8 m, LNG capacity 1525 m3), while the 3rd tank has length 28 m, diameter 5 m and capacity 520 m3.
Costa Toscana User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review