AIDAcosma Review and Specifications
Specifications of AIDAcosma
|Year built||2021 new ship|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||EUR 700 million (USD 950 million)|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||AIDA Kreuzfahrten (AIDA Cruises)|
|Speed||33 kn / 61 kph / 38 mph|
|Length (LOA)||337 m / 1106 ft|
|Beam (width)||42 m / 138 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||183900 gt|
|Passengers||5200 - 6600|
|Decks with cabins||11|
|Sister-ships||AIDAnova, AIDA2023, P&O Iona, Costa Smeralda, Costa Toscana, Carnival Mardi Gras|
Review of AIDAcosma
AIDAcosma cruise ship is scheduled for launch and inauguration in 2021-Q1. The vessel is currently under construction at Meyer Werft Shipyard (Papenburg Germany). This is the second of three Helios-class AIDA liners. The first ship (AIDAnova) was launched in 2018 summer, while the 3rd (TBN) will be delivered in 2023. Excellence/Helios-Class was preceded by Hyperion-Class (AIDAprima and AIDAperla). AIDAcosma is the company's 9th vessel built in Papenburg. Other Excellence-Class liners (AIDAcosma sisterships) are Iona (2020), Costa Smeralda (2019), Costa Toscana (2021), Carnival Mardi Gras (2020).
History - construction and ownership
AIDA Cruises is a Rostock-headquartered subsidiary company owned by Carnival Corporation. AIDA is Europe's largest German cruise line (followed by TUI) targeting younger and more active travelers. AIDA was founded in 1960 (as "Deutsche Seereederei") and in 2000 was acquired by P&O Princess Cruises, which merged with Carnival Corporation (shipowner) in 2003. AIDA's first World Cruise (AIDAcara) was in 2017-2018 (October-February) with 116-day roundtrip itinerary from Hamburg Germany.
The 183,900-ton, 5200-passenger cruise ship AIDAcosma is among the world's largest passenger liners and the most technologically advanced vessels. Besides the ship's staff and crew, AIDA cruise passengers are also served by Peper robots - the latest cyborg technology implemented fleetwide in 2016. These humanoid robots greet and guide passengers upon embarkation. They also assist them throughout the cruise by providing information and tips on onboard dining, entertainment, enrichment program (workshops, pre-scheduled events), casino and shopping promotions, shore excursions and tours. Pepper robots are mobile and communicate in 3 languages (English, German, Italian). They can also interpret human emotions by analyzing voice tones and facial expressions.
Cruise itinerary program
AIDAcosma is sailing from the port of Kiel to the Norwegian fjords and Baltic Sea from summer 2021. From May through October she offers a couple of northern routes. On alternating weeks, the vessel is sailing to Norway's fjords as well as to some of the most beautiful Baltic cities. Depending on the date, AIDAcosma is staying overnight in Saint Petersburg, Tallinn or Helsinki.
As serving mainly the German-speaking market, AIDA operates the Cosma ship with fly-cruise deals from Germany and also from the UK.
The cruise ship has a total of 2500 passenger staterooms in 21 categories and on 11 cabin decks. A new type is the Einzelkabine (Single Cabin), which is planned to be introduced fleetwide during AIDA's next scheduled drydock refurbishments. A new suite-type is the Duplex Suite (aft on Deck 12), which is a 2-deck accommodation sized 73 m2 (with 20-m2 private sundeck).
AIDAcosma Suites (categories SA, SB, SC, SV, JA, JB) feature as amenities private sundeck area (large outdoor terrace), separate bedroom, sofa bed, 2 bathrooms (bathrobes, slippers, luxury bath products), queen beds, pillow menu (5 different pillows) plus bonus perks (amenities and services).
Standard cabin balconies are equipped with padded deck chairs and coffee table. JB-Junior Suites feature a separate "conservatory" (lounge room, sized 7 m2) plus step-out balcony (4 m2). The lounge room's glass door can be opened to double the veranda’s size. The conservatory is temperature-controlled (via suite's heater).
Verandababine Deluxe (categories DA-DB) has a large-sized veranda (5-13 m2). Comfort Balcony rooms are the ship's main “family cabin” type. They are larger than the standard Balkonkabine and also have double sofabed for quad occupancy. Category DL (Verandakabine Deluxe with Lounge) is for 5 passengers. Oceanview and Interior cabins are with twin-beds (convertible to double / Queen-size).
All staterooms offer as standard (complimentary) amenities electronic safe box (in the closet), spacious wardrobe (some with walk-in closet), low table with lounge chairs, double bed (most convertible to twins), Pullman beds (in most quads), bedside tables, wall-mounted reading lamps, direct dial phone (baby monitoring option), smart HDTV (infotainment system - satellite reception, Internet, movies-on-demand, ship info channel, real-time camera views), LED lighting, mirrored dressing table (writing desk) with chair, en-suite bathroom (toilet, shower cabin, single-sink vanity, hairdryer), individually controlled air-conditioning.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The new AIDAcosma has a variety of dining options. Among its 17 dining venues are the specialty restaurants Casa Nova, French Kiss, and Brauhaus, as well as 5 buffet restaurants (including the family-themed Fuego), the classic Bella Donna and Markt Restaurant. Guests onboard can visit the AIDA cooking school and try interactive cooking classes.
The ship features an exclusive Spray Bar which is spread across 2 decks and operated via a partnership with Moet & Chandon (1869-established French champagne producer). At the ship's stern is the Lanai Bar (Deck 8). At Patio Bar (Deck 16 aft) passengers can enjoy the same view as the Captain. Other bars are the nightclub Nightfly, M Bar, Tapas & Bar, club D6.
Follows the complete list of AIDAcosma restaurants and food bars.
- Scharfe Ecke (Sharp Corner, complimentary fast-food dining venue)
- Rossini (a specialty, dinner-only restaurant at surcharge, reservations required; offers waiter service and 6-course a-la-carte menu)
- Markt Restaurant (complimentary main dining room; self-service buffet restaurant with a variety of food stations and a small terrace)
- Bella Donna (Italian cuisine restaurant, complimentary, buffet-style dining, open 24 hours)
- Ristorante Casa Nova (Mediterranean cuisine restaurant at a surcharge)
- Brasserie French Kiss (French cuisine restaurant, reservations-only, at a surcharge)
- Brauhaus (specialty restaurant, reservations-only, at a surcharge)
- Weite Welt Restaurant (Wide World complimentary buffet-style restaurant)
- Buffalo Steakhouse (American fare restaurant with a la carte menu; reservations required; at a surcharge)
- Sushi Bar (Japanese restaurant at surcharge, reservations are required)
- Fuego Restaurant (new family restaurant, complimentary, with a kids buffet)
- East Restaurant (Asian cuisine, buffet-style complimentary restaurant)
- Time Machine Restaurant is a new dinner-only restaurant with fantasy-themed entertainment.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Deck 16 features an activity deck with a water park, slides, high rope garden, and mini-golf. The beach club (introduced with the Hyperion-class) is also available on the Helios-class ships. The pool deck is covered via an openable roof in lightweight construction.
Passengers can unwind by Beach Club's swimming pool. At night, this area turns into a deck party zone. The Cube dance club and the Casino also offer night-time live entertainment. The Beach Club is beneath the expandable membrane roof. It features a dedicated family activities area "Four Elements" (based on water, air, fire, and earth). Four Elements is an outdoor playground on Sports Deck fitted with 2 waterslides (3-decks high), rock climbing walls, rope course. This deck also has a giant LED screen for movies and other outdoor video entertainment. In addition to the Teens and Kids Clubs on board, for the first time, there is a “Mini Club” for infants from 6 months.
The panoramic glass elevators which connect the outdoor areas, as well as the glass 45-meter above water level skywalk are among the other highlights. Organic treatments pamper at the Body & Soul Organic Spa. AIDA Plaza offers a wealth of bars and shops and functions as a meeting place and a stage for street performers.
AIDAcosma offers different and innovative entertainment experiences for all ages in a total of thirteen venues. Apart from popular shows of the cruise line, such as “Wer wird Millionär” (Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?), “The Voice of the Ocean,” and “AIDA Stars,” vacationers benefit from new entertainment formats which are exclusively available onboard AIDAcosma. The enhanced Theatrium is the heart of onboard entertainment – its round stage is the trademark of AIDA Cruises. The Theatrium is great to enjoy entertainment as well as relax during the day. However, in the evenings it's the spot for shows on the 360-degree stage, with technical highlights like 11 LED walls, 7 laser shows and LED Tube inclusive of “artistes’ elevator.”
Some of the shows premiered on AIDAcosma include:
- "AIDA LOVE" is an adventure-packed show celebrating birthdays, weddings, honeymoons. The audience may become part of the show via a special phone app.
- "Avona Dia" is a family show with imaginative choreography created by Cirque du Soleil star Benjamin Pring.
- "Nashville – Just Good Music: It rocks!" is a live concert with American rock's greatest hits.
- "Show me! YELLO!" combines music and videos of Swiss electronic duo band YELLO with a pyrotechnical display, acrobatics, dance, and extravagant scenery.
- "Steampunk Circus" show is fantasy-themed (magical world), featuring special effects, original costumes, specially created music by Stefan Richter.
The list of new facilities introduced first on AIDAcosma includes:
- Studio X makes AIDAcosma fleet's second ship with TV studio at sea and its own station - “Prime Time One.” Passengers can observe live AIDA Cruises TV shows, how are produced, and also to experience the new AIDA TV guessing show for kids “1, 2 or 3”.
- "The Pyramid Kids” entertainment program offers new games and quizzes. “Keep Your Light On” (modern version of hangman) is played in teams wearing LED suits. Kids and Teens Workshops offer interactive games and video making and editing.
- "The Mystery Room" serves treasure hunt players searching for the Holy Grail.
- "The Rock Box" music room/karaoke bar has a jukebox and also hosts live performances.
- Mysterious elevator access the new "Time Machine Restaurant" - the realm of Professor Tempus who welcomes passengers for a 3-course dinner and takes them on a voyage through time.
Follows the complete list of AIDAcosma lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Pier 3 Bar (coffee bar)
- Spray Bar (adults-only 2-level luxury lounge & Champagne bar via a partnership with French winery “Moet & Chandon”)
- Diskothek (The Cube) is a nightclub with DJ program, light shows, themed dance parties.
- Nachtclub Nightfly (adult-only nightclub lounge with grand piano, live band music, and its own bar)
- Tapas & Bar
- AIDA Plaza (2-deck high, open-floor Atrium lounge with bars and live entertainment; luxury boutique shopping arcade)
- Jewelry Shop; Travel Shop; PhotoShop; Sports Shop; Parfumerie; Kids Shop; Treasure Chest Shop
- Kids Club (AIDA Cruises kids program is complimentary, with supervised, age-appropriate activities: the 3 age groups include Seahorses for 3-6 yo, Dolphins for 7-9 yo and Sharks 10-11 yo; the Kids Club has an outdoor area with a paddling pool)
- AIDA Bar (cocktail bar with live music)
- Art Gallery (Kunstgalerie; sells original artworks of renowned art schools and German artists; hosts art auctions)
- AIDA Lounge (with 270-degree panoramic views and comfortable seating)
- The Library (Bibliotek; offers card and board games)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar)
- Theatrium is a 3-deck high, big-capacity show lounge with large round-shaped central stage with a dynamic platform and 11x LED screen covered walls. This is a combined Atrium-Theater-Lounge for daily entertainment, large-scale evening productions, cabaret, and magician shows. Here are presented 7 differently themed laser shows. The theater lounge is served by Theatrium Bar.
- Eiscafe (ice cream parlor Ice cafe Erste Sahne)
- Cafe Mare (patisserie & specialty coffee bar)
- Vinotek (fine wines shop; offers sommelier service and wine tasting events)
- Brauhaus (beerhouse; onboard brewery, purified seawater is used for brewing beer; the Beer House sells its own draft beers)
- Destille (Distillery; fruit spirits bar)
- AIDA Bar (big-capacity lounge with panoramic windows)
- Photo Gallery & Shop (professional photo & video services, duty-free accessories and equipment; new feature are the photo kiosks with touch-screens /face-recognition system)
- AIDA Shop (duty-free merchandise at discount prices; the shopping arcade has a general store selling liquor and tobaccos, as well as small boutiques for jewelry, luxury watches, perfumes, brand fashion clothing, AIDA logo goods)
- Beauty Salon (Friseur; provides hairdresser, barber services, professional manicure/pedicure Nail Spa)
- Body & Soul Sports Fitness Centre (with a modern Gym and separate area for classes)
- Zen Lounge (relaxation room; hosts indoor classes)
- Blutenmeer (Blooming Sea flower shop)
- Kochstudio (Cooking Studio for culinary classes, workshops, master chefs presentations; reservations are required)
- "The Mystery Room" is a new venue dedicated to onboard treasure hunt games.
- "Rock Box" is a music room/karaoke bar with a jukebox and also hosting live performances.
- "Studio X" is the ship’s TV Room producing live AIDA Cruises themed shows.
- Lanai Bar (with outdoor seating area)
- Sundeck area (with 4 infinity pools)
- Wave Club (water playground and teens club with supervised activities in two age groups – Orcas for 12 -13 yo and Teens 14 -17 yo; complimentary)
- Body & Soul Organic SPA complex (3100 m2, with indoor/outdoor pools, big whirlpools and retractable glass roof; offers Japanese Tea Ceremony, body scrubs, and wraps; facilities include 5 saunas, treatment rooms, Rasul bath, relaxation room, shower room, conservatory, luxury Spa Suites, SPA Bar)
- AIDA Lounge (with 270-degree panorama views, comfortable couches, and tables); Sunset Bar
- Mini Club (childcare/babysitting services for toddlers and little kids 6 months to 3yo)
- "Four Elements" (Water Park with rock climbing walls, pools and whirlpools, splash pool and fountains for children, a stage for live shows, huge LED screen, 2 water slides, rope course. This activity/sports deck is covered with a sliding glass roof. In the evenings, Four Elements transforms into a deck party/dancing zone with live music.
- Bar 5 Elements (serving the Aqua Park complex)
- AIDA Beach Club (2-deck high relaxation oasis, covered with a glass dome for tropical beach-like experience with live plants and palm trees; in the evenings, the club is transformed into a party zone)
- Sundeck / sunbathing area (Freibereich, located above the swimming pool; with loungers, served by the Pool Bar); the ship’s Top Deck is dedicated to Freikorperkultur / FKK Bereich nudist area with sun loungers)
- Sun Deck games area (Sonnendeck – Freibereich, with shuffleboard, giant chess, Boccia, backgammon, darts, table tennis)
- Patio deck (exclusive, covered deck area for Panorama cabin guests only, adult-only)
- Sports Deck area (Sportaussendeck with a combined sports court volleyball/basketball, Golf Cage, putting green area, golf simulator)
- Rock Climbing Walls; High Ropes Course; Power Walking/Jogging Track.
AIDAcosma - user reviews and comments
AIDAcosma ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
On Tuesday, October 15, the first building-block for AIDA Cruises’ 2nd LNG-powered ship (Cosma) was put in place at Neptun Werft shipyard in...October 16, 2019
- Cruise Industry
With the official steel-cutting ceremony at Meyer Werft, work has started on the next new ship for AIDA Cruises. Just like AIDAnova (delivered in...August 16, 2019
- show more news
Other AIDA Cruises cruise ships
In July 2015, Carnival Corporation signed a shipbuilding agreement with Meyer Werft for the construction of all 4 new-class (Excellence, aka Helios) vessels. Of these, 2 liners were for Costa Cruises (Smeralda /2019 and Toscana /2021) and the other 2 for AIDA (AIDAnova /2018 and AIDAcosma /2021). On February 27, 2018, Carnival Corporation signed a shipbuilding contract for a 3rd AIDA ship (scheduled delivery in 2023). This was the 98th ship order for the cruise industry's global fleet (vessels in the order book 2018-2026).
Carnival Corporation's new liners all use LNG powerplants (with four Caterpillar-MaK marine engines) that fully comply with IMO's latest regulations. Vessel's design, architecture and machinery features include weight-optimized materials, optimized paints (reducing underwater resistance), innovative electric pod motors, modern heat recovery, navigation and automation systems.
Vessel's steel-cutting ceremony at Meyer Werft was held on August 15, 2019, with which officially started the ship's construction. On October 15, 2019, was held the keel-laying ceremony during which the first hull block for AIDA's 2nd LNG-powered ship (AIDAcosma) was put in place at Neptun Werft Shipyard in Rostock, Germany. The traditional coin ceremony's godmothers were Charleen Hoffmann (AIDA employee) and Kenny Schaft (Meyer Werft employee) who placed the specially minted coins under vessel's first (of all 90) construction blocks. The special event was attended by Tim Meyer (Meyer Werft Shipyard's Managing Director), Manfred Ossevorth (Neptun Werft Shipyard's Director), Felix Eichhorn (AIDA's President), Birgit Hesse (Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania's President), Claus Ruhe Madsen (Rostock City’s Mayor).
During the keel-laying ceremony was officially announced the cruise ship's name (AIDAcosma), its homeport (Kiel Germany) and inaugural cruise season (Baltic Sea and Norwegian Fjords, 2021 summer).
AIDAcosma User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review