AIDAblu Review and Specifications
Specifications of AIDAblu
|Year built||2010 / Age : 9|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 420 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||AIDA Kreuzfahrten (AIDA Cruises)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||253 m / 830 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||71304 gt|
|Passengers||2192 - 2500|
|Decks with cabins||12|
|Sister-ships||AIDAmar, AIDAstella, AIDAsol|
|Former names||Crown Princess, Ocean Village 2|
|Christened by||Jette Joop|
Current itinerary of AIDAblu
AIDAblu current cruise is 24 days, one-way from Port Louis to Heraklion. The itinerary starts on 05 Mar, 2019 and ends on 29 Mar, 2019.
|Date / Time||Port|
|05 Mar||Departing from Port Louis, Mauritius Island|
|07 Mar 08:00 - 08 Mar 17:00||Saint-Denis, Reunion Island|
|11 Mar 08:00 - 13 Mar 18:00||Mahe Island, Victoria, Seychelles|
|17 Mar 08:00 - 23:58||Salalah, Oman|
|22 Mar 14:30 - 23 Mar 18:00||Aqaba, Jordan|
|24 Mar 22:50 - 25 Mar 16:00||Suez Canal|
|26 Mar 07:00 - 19:00||Haifa, Tel Aviv, Israel|
|27 Mar 08:00 - 19:00||Limassol, Cyprus|
|29 Mar 05:00||Arriving in Heraklion, Crete, Greece|
Review of AIDAblu
History - construction and ownership
AIDA Cruises is a Rostock-headquartered subsidiary company owned by Carnival Corporation. AIDA is Europe's largest German cruise line (followed by TUI) targeting younger and more active travellers. AIDA was founded in 1960 (as "Deutsche Seereederei") and in 2000 was acquired by P&O Princess Cruises, which merged with Carnival Corporation (shipowner) in 2003. AIDA's first World Cruise (AIDAcara) was in 2017-2018 (October-February) with 116-day roundtrip itinerary from Hamburg Germany.
The 71,304-ton, 2,000-passenger cruise ship AIDAblu is a modernly equipped cruise vessel created in the famous shipbuilding yard of Meyer Werft, Germany. The record for a fast crossing of the English channel was set by AIDAblu in 2011 with time, between Le Havre and Southampton, of 6 h and 45 min. AIDAblu pioneered the first cruise ship brewery.
Besides the ship's staff and crew, AIDA cruise passengers are also served by Peper robots - the latest cyborg technology implemented fleetwide in 2016. These humanoid robots greet and guide passengers upon embarkation. They also assist them throughout the cruise by providing information and tips on onboard dining, entertainment, enrichment program (workshops, pre-scheduled events), casino and shopping promotions, shore excursions and tours. Pepper robots are mobile and communicate in 3 languages (English, German, Italian). They can also interpret human emotions by analyzing voice tones and facial expressions.
Cruise itinerary program
Most AIDAblu staterooms are 185-250-sq.foot Balcony rooms (471). There are a total of 1096 staterooms (of which 23 Suites, 487 Balcony rooms, 172 Outside, 374 Inside) in 24 categories. The largest aboard AIDAblu is the Panorama Deluxe Suite (580 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
AIDAblu was built with ten taprooms (plus beer fermentation plant) and a wealth of dining options, all of which open seating. The buffets give passengers the chance to try food from several countries. Good wines are available to try. The Markt buffet Restaurant is located on deck 9. It is self-service and has a diverse and rich buffet. There are no strict dress codes or fixed dining times. Basic beverages, including house wines and beer, are free of charge at the buffet restaurants.
Follows the complete list of AIDAblu restaurants and food bars.
- Rossini (a speciality, dinner-only restaurant at surcharge, reservations required; offers waiter service and 6-course a-la-carte menu)
- Markt Restaurant (complimentary main dining room; self-service buffet restaurant with a variety of food stations and a small terrace)
- Bella Donna (Italian cuisine restaurant, complimentary, buffet-style dining, open 24 hours)
- Buffalo Steakhouse (American fare restaurant with a la carte menu; reservations required; at a surcharge)
- Sushi Bar (Japanese restaurant at surcharge, reservations are required)
- California Grill (complimentary, American cuisine restaurant)
- East Restaurant (Asian cuisine, buffet-style complimentary restaurant).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
AIDAblu has one of the largest cruise ship wellness centres, spreading on over 2,600 sqm. Apart from the recreational areas, the ship also boasts a modern Theatrium, unique in this class, and a special kids’ zone.
Follows the complete list of AIDAblu lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Pier 3 Bar (coffee bar)
- Kids Club (AIDA Cruises kids program is complimentary, with supervised, age-appropriate activities: the 3 age groups include Seahorses for 3-6 yo, Dolphins for 7-9 yo and Sharks 10-11 yo; the Kids Club has an outdoor area with a paddling pool)
- Internet stations with printers (located in the Reception/Lobby area; Wi-Fi coverage is available shipwide, including in all guests rooms)
- Studio AIDA (TV studio, producing films related to ship's itinerary and activities, plus a radio program)
- AIDA Blu Bar (cocktail bar with live music)
- Theatrium (948-seat, 3-deck high; a combination of an Atrium and a theatre, with glass walls, a stage with dynamic platforms, and glass dome; hosts large-scale productions)
- Art Gallery (Kunstgalerie; sells original artworks of renowned art schools and German artists; hosts art auctions)
- AIDA Lounge (with 270-degree panoramic views and comfortable seating)
- The Library (Bibliotek; offers card and board games)
- AIDAblu casino
- Cafe Mare (patisserie & speciality coffee bar)
- Vinotek (fine wines shop; offers sommelier service and wine tasting events)
- Brauhaus (beerhouse; onboard brewery, purified seawater is used for brewing beer; the Beer House sells its own draft beers)
- Destille (Distillery; fruit spirits bar)
- AIDA Bar (big-capacity lounge with panoramic windows)
- Photo Gallery & Shop (professional photo & video services, duty-free accessories and equipment; new feature are the photo kiosks with touch-screens /face-recognition system)
- AIDA Shop (duty-free merchandise at discount prices; the shopping arcade has a general store selling liquor and tobaccos, as well as small boutiques for jewellery, luxury watches, perfumes, brand fashion clothing, AIDA logo goods)
- Beauty Salon (Friseur; provides hairdresser, barber services, professional manicure/pedicure)
- Body & Soul Sports Fitness Centre (with a modern Gym and separate area for classes)
- Zen Lounge (relaxation room; hosts indoor classes)
- 4D Kino Cinemare (4D Cinema room)
- Time Out Bar (sports bar); Ocean Bar (outdoor cocktail bar)
- Blutenmeer (Blooming Sea flower shop)
- Sundeck area (served by the Beach Bar)
- Anytime Bar (Diskothek; ship’s disco & nightclub with DJ program and themed dance parties; during the day hosts organized dance classes)
- HYPE (teens club with supervised activities in two age groups – Orcas for 12 -13 yo and Teens 14 -17 yo; complimentary)
- Body & Soul SPA complex (Africa-themed, with Beauty Salon & Spa Reception, massages /treatments rooms, Wellness Suite, Wellness Oase, Aroma Sauna, Finish Sauna, Steam Room, relaxation room)
- Wellness Oase (Oasis, with a large whirlpool, hammocks, relaxation beds, decorated with palm trees and live plants)
- Wellness Suite (max 4 guests, rented for 4 hours; with its own veranda, Sauna, Whirlpool, luxury bath amenities)
- SPA Bar (complimentary fresh fruits, tea, wellness drinks)
- Sundeck / sunbathing area (Freibereich, located above the swimming pool; with loungers, served by the Pool Bar); the ship’s Top Deck is dedicated to Freikorperkultur / FKK Bereich nudist area with sun loungers)
- Sun Deck games area (Sonnendeck – Freibereich, with shuffleboard, giant chess, Boccia, backgammon, darts, table tennis)
- Videowand (outdoor theatre, with a big-size LED screen)
- Sports Deck area (Sportaussendeck with a combined sports court volleyball/basketball, Golf Cage, putting green area, golf simulator)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track.
- AIDAblu is the 7th vessel operated by AIDA Kreutzfahrten. Between 2004-2007, ship's name was used for a former AIDA liner - later renamed Ocean Village 2 (currently Pacific Jewel).
- Ship's godmother is Jette Joop (jewellery designer). The vessel was christened on February 9, 2010, in the Port of Hamburg on the ice-covered Elbe River. The naming ceremony was accompanied by numerous street artists, ice carvers, and there was a traditional fireworks display.
- AIDAblu (Sphinx-class vessel) is half a deck bigger than the sister-ships AIDAluna, AIDAdiva and AIDAbella, and was followed by AIDAmar and AIDAsol. AIDAblu holds the record for fastest English Channel crossing by cruise vessel with time, between Le Havre (Paris) and Southampton, of 6 hours and 45 minutes (2011).
- One of the largest AIDA ships, Blu also has one of the largest on a cruise ship wellness centres, at 2600 m2. The ship also provides a biking station and the supply of bicycles are used by passengers on shore excursions in ports of call.
- Fun fact is that AIDAblu ship boasts the first brewery at sea, which permanently produces three kinds of draft beer stored in three 1000 L service copper tanks (ZKGs unitanks) in the onboard storage cellar. Recycled seawater is used as brewing water. A special challenge was the requirements for ship-specific fixings, space-saving construction, compliance with the USPH standard (standards of the American public health authority).
- Another fun fact is, that there was another cruise ship named "AidaBlu". P&O Australia's Pacific Jewel was formerly known as Crown Princess (Princess Cruises), A-Rosa Blu (ARosa Cruises), AIDAblu (from 2004 to 2007, for AIDA Kreutzfahrten) and Ocean Village 2 (for the Carnival's Ocean Village brand).
- German is the language that is largely used on board, as the majority of AIDA cruise ship passengers are Germans and German-speaking Europeans (Austrians, Swiss). AIDA customers tend to be quite active, so older Germans usually prefer more traditional lines on the German-speaking market.
AIDAblu - user reviews and comments
Photos of AIDAbluAdd Photo
AIDAblu ship related cruise news
Other AIDA Cruises cruise ships
The below listed AIDAblu cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest AIDA Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2019 Feb 26||14 days, round-trip Mauritius, Seychellen & Madagaskar 3||Mahe Island|
|2019 Mar 05||24 days, one-way from Port Louis to Heraklion||Port Louis|
|2019 Mar 12||17 days, one-way from Mahe Island to Heraklion||Mahe Island|
|2019 Mar 29||9 days, one-way from Heraklion to Venice||Heraklion|
|2019 Apr 07||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Apr 14||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Apr 28||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 May 05||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 May 12||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 May 19||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 May 26||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Jun 02||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Jun 09||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Jun 16||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Jun 23||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Jun 30||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Jul 07||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Jul 14||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Jul 21||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Jul 28||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Aug 04||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Aug 11||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Aug 18||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Aug 25||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Sep 01||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Sep 08||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Sep 15||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Sep 22||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Sep 29||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Oct 06||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Oct 13||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Oct 20||7 days, round-trip Adria Ab Venedig||Venice|
|2019 Oct 27||23 days, one-way from Venice to Mahe Island||Venice|
|2019 Oct 27||7 days, one-way from Venice to Heraklion||Venice|
|2019 Nov 03||23 days, one-way from Heraklion to Port Louis||Heraklion|
|2019 Nov 03||16 days, one-way from Heraklion to Mahe Island||Heraklion|
|2019 Nov 19||14 days, round-trip Mauritius, Seychellen & Madagaskar 3||Mahe Island|
|2019 Nov 26||14 days, round-trip Mauritius & Madagaskar 2||Port Louis|
|2019 Dec 03||14 days, round-trip Mauritius, Seychellen & Madagaskar 3||Mahe Island|
|2019 Dec 10||14 days, round-trip Mauritius & Madagaskar 2||Port Louis|
|2019 Dec 17||14 days, round-trip Mauritius, Seychellen & Madagaskar 3||Mahe Island|
|2019 Dec 24||14 days, round-trip Mauritius & Madagaskar 2||Port Louis|
|2019 Dec 31||14 days, round-trip Mauritius, Seychellen & Madagaskar 3||Mahe Island|
|2020 Jan 07||14 days, round-trip Mauritius & Madagaskar 2||Port Louis|
|2020 Jan 14||14 days, round-trip Mauritius, Seychellen & Madagaskar 3||Mahe Island|
|2020 Jan 21||14 days, round-trip Mauritius & Madagaskar 2||Port Louis|
|2020 Jan 28||14 days, round-trip Mauritius, Seychellen & Madagaskar 3||Mahe Island|
|2020 Feb 04||14 days, round-trip Mauritius & Madagaskar 2||Port Louis|
|2020 Feb 11||14 days, round-trip Mauritius, Seychellen & Madagaskar 3||Mahe Island|
|2020 Feb 18||14 days, round-trip Mauritius & Madagaskar 2||Port Louis|
|2020 Feb 25||14 days, round-trip Mauritius, Seychellen & Madagaskar 3||Mahe Island|
|2020 Mar 03||24 days, one-way from Port Louis to Heraklion||Port Louis|
|2020 Mar 10||17 days, one-way from Mahe Island to Heraklion||Mahe Island|