AIDAluna current position
Specifications of AIDAluna
|Year built||2009 / Age: 12|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||EUR 315 million (USD 390 million)|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||AIDA Kreuzfahrten (AIDA Cruises)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||251 m / 823 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||69203 gt|
|Passengers||2050 - 2500|
|Decks with cabins||11|
|Christened by||Franziska Knuppe|
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 May 03||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Norwegen Danemark||Kiel|
|2021 May 07||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Norwegen Danemark||Kiel|
|2021 May 11||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Norwegen Danemark||Kiel|
|2021 May 15||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2021 Jun 01||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2021 Jun 18||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2021 Jul 05||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2021 Jul 22||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2021 Aug 08||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2021 Aug 25||10 days, round-trip Norwegens Kuste Mit Fjorden Ab Kiel||Kiel|
|2021 Sep 04||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2021 Sep 21||10 days, round-trip Norwegens Kuste Mit Fjorden Ab Kiel||Kiel|
|2021 Oct 01||10 days, round-trip Norwegens Kuste Mit Fjorden Ab Kiel||Kiel|
|2021 Oct 11||7 days, round-trip Norwegen Danemark Ab Kiel||Kiel|
|2021 Oct 18||27 days, one-way from Kiel to Montego Bay||Kiel|
|2021 Oct 18||19 days, one-way from Kiel to La Romana||Kiel|
|2021 Nov 06||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Dominikanische Republik||La Romana|
|2021 Nov 14||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Jamaika||Montego Bay|
|2021 Nov 20||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Dominikanische Republik||La Romana|
|2021 Nov 28||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Jamaika||Montego Bay|
|2021 Dec 04||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Dominikanische Republik||La Romana|
|2021 Dec 12||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Jamaika||Montego Bay|
|2021 Dec 18||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Dominikanische Republik||La Romana|
|2021 Dec 26||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Jamaika||Montego Bay|
|2022 Jan 01||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Dominikanische Republik||La Romana|
|2022 Jan 09||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Jamaika||Montego Bay|
|2022 Jan 15||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Dominikanische Republik||La Romana|
|2022 Jan 23||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Jamaika||Montego Bay|
|2022 Jan 29||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Dominikanische Republik||La Romana|
|2022 Feb 06||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Jamaika||Montego Bay|
|2022 Feb 12||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Dominikanische Republik||La Romana|
|2022 Feb 20||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Jamaika||Montego Bay|
|2022 Feb 26||14 days, round-trip Karibik Mittelamerika Ab Dominikanische Republik||La Romana|
|2022 Mar 30||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Grosbritannien||Hamburg|
|2022 Apr 03||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Grosbritannien||Hamburg|
|2022 Apr 07||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Grosbritannien||Hamburg|
|2022 Apr 11||10 days, round-trip Norwegens Kuste Mit Fjorden||Hamburg|
|2022 Apr 21||4 days, one-way from Hamburg to Kiel||Hamburg|
|2022 Apr 25||10 days, round-trip Norwegens Kuste Mit Fjorden Ab Kiel||Kiel|
|2022 May 05||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Norwegen Danemark||Kiel|
|2022 May 09||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Norwegen Danemark||Kiel|
|2022 May 13||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Norwegen Danemark||Kiel|
|2022 May 17||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2022 Jun 03||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Norwegen Danemark||Kiel|
|2022 Jun 07||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2022 Jun 24||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2022 Jul 11||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2022 Jul 28||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2022 Aug 14||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2022 Aug 31||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Norwegen Danemark||Kiel|
|2022 Sep 04||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Norwegen Danemark||Kiel|
|2022 Sep 08||3 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Danemark||Kiel|
|2022 Sep 11||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Norwegen Danemark||Kiel|
|2022 Sep 15||3 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Danemark||Kiel|
|2022 Sep 18||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Norwegen Danemark||Kiel|
|2022 Sep 22||3 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Danemark||Kiel|
|2022 Sep 25||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Norwegen Danemark||Kiel|
|2022 Sep 29||10 days, round-trip Norwegens Kuste Mit Fjorden Ab Kiel||Kiel|
|2022 Oct 09||8 days, round-trip Norwegen Danemark Ab Kiel||Kiel|
Review of AIDAluna
History - construction and ownership
AIDA Cruises is a Rostock-headquartered subsidiary company owned by Carnival Corporation. AIDA is Europe's largest German cruise line (followed by TUI) targeting younger and more active travellers. AIDA was founded in 1960 (as "Deutsche Seereederei") and in 2000 was acquired by P&O Princess Cruises, which merged with Carnival Corporation (shipowner) in 2003. AIDA's first World Cruise (AIDAcara) was in 2017-2018 (October-February) with 116-day roundtrip itinerary from Hamburg Germany.
The 69,203-ton, 2,100-passenger cruise ship AIDAluna pioneered the poolside theater (dimensions 8 x 4.5 m). The vessel's godmother is the German fashion model Franziska Knuppe. The christening ceremony took place at Palma de Mallorca, on April 4, 2009, during the ship's maiden voyage.
Besides the ship's staff and crew, AIDA cruise passengers are also served by Peper robots - the latest cyborg technology implemented fleetwide in 2016. These humanoid robots greet and guide passengers upon embarkation. They also assist them throughout the cruise by providing information and tips on onboard dining, entertainment, enrichment program (workshops, pre-scheduled events), casino and shopping promotions, shore excursions and tours. Pepper robots are mobile and communicate in 3 languages (English, German, Italian). They can also interpret human emotions by analyzing voice tones and facial expressions.
Cruise itinerary program
AIDAluna itinerary program is based on Caribbean cruises from Dominican Republic and Jamaica, Baltic cruises from Kiel, Germany and Transatlantic relocation crossings.
Most AIDAluna staterooms are 185-250-sq.foot Balcony rooms (480). There are a total of 1025 staterooms (of which 480 Balcony rooms, 186 Outside, 359 Inside) in 18 categories. The largest aboard AIDAluna is the Deluxe Suite (935 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
AIDAluna offers rich restaurants’ choice for her guests, such as the Rossini, the Markt-Restaurant, Buffalo Steak Restaurant, Bella Vista (serving pizza & pasta 24-hours per day), sushi bar. AIDAluna restaurants are open seating. The buffets give passengers the chance to try food from several countries. Good wines are available to try. The Markt buffet Restaurant is located on deck 9. It is self-service and has a diverse and rich buffet. There are no strict dress codes or fixed dining times. Basic beverages, including house wines and beer, are free of charge at the buffet restaurants.
Follows the complete list of AIDAluna restaurants and food bars.
- Rossini (a speciality, dinner-only restaurant at surcharge, reservations required; offers waiter service and 6-course a-la-carte menu)
- Markt Restaurant (complimentary main dining room; self-service buffet restaurant with a variety of food stations and a small terrace)
- Bella Vista (Italian cuisine restaurant, complimentary, buffet-style dining, open 24 hours)
- Buffalo Steakhouse (American fare restaurant with a la carte menu; reservations required; at a surcharge)
- Weite Welt (Wide World complimentary buffet-style restaurant; has indoor/outdoor seating)
- Almhütte (added during 2019 refit) boasts ski-lodge style, tasty dishes from the Alps, and hearty music. Passengers can enjoy pork knuckle, cheese spaetzle noodles, snacks, and fresh draft beer. Service and foods are included in the fare, with a surcharge for drinks.
- Sushi Bar (Japanese restaurant at surcharge, reservations are required)
- Pizzeria Mare (Italian pizza restaurant; complimentary, self-service/buffet dining).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
AIDAluna boasts a total of eleven bars. The ship is famous with her good internet connectivity and a theatrium with a total floor area of 3,000 m2 (its stage can be reconfigured for different shows). SPA & Sports facilities include AIDAluna SPA and fitness areas which are in a favourable location above the bridge. This area provides palm trees, hammocks, cabana-style beds, and an enormous Jacuzzi. Volleyball, golf, squash, and many other sports are offered to AIDAluna passengers as the finest amenities for recreation.
Follows the complete list of AIDAluna lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Pier 3 Bar (coffee bar)
- Kids Club (AIDA Cruises kids program is complimentary, with supervised, age-appropriate activities: the 3 age groups include Seahorses for 3-6 yo, Dolphins for 7-9 yo and Sharks 10-11 yo; the Kids Club has an outdoor area with a paddling pool)
- Internet stations with printers (located in the Reception/Lobby area; Wi-Fi coverage is available shipwide, including in all guests rooms)
- Studio AIDA (TV studio, producing films related to ship's itinerary and activities, plus a radio program)
- AIDA Luna Bar (cocktail bar with live music)
- Theatrium (948-seat, 3-deck high; a combination of an Atrium and a theatre, with glass walls, a stage with dynamic platforms, and glass dome; hosts large-scale productions). Unique to the AIDAluna ship show held here is Augenblick (a futuristic musical introduced in 2018). The new show features artists interacting with the theatre's large LED screens, aerial acrobatic performances (bungee ropes), special effects.
- Art Gallery (Kunstgalerie; sells original artworks of renowned art schools and German artists; hosts art auctions)
- AIDA Lounge (with 270-degree panoramic views and comfortable seating)
- The Library (Bibliotek; offers card and board games)
- AIDAluna casino
- Cafe Mare (patisserie & speciality coffee bar)
- Vinotek (fine wines shop; offers sommelier service and wine tasting events)
- AIDA Bar (big-capacity lounge with panoramic windows)
- Photo Gallery & Shop (professional photo & video services, duty-free accessories and equipment; new feature are the photo kiosks with touch-screens /face-recognition system). Fujifilm Wonder Photo Shop (added during 2019 refit) turns photography into a creative experience via a wide variety of materials.
- AIDA Shop (duty-free merchandise at discount prices; the shopping arcade has a general store selling liquor and tobaccos, as well as small boutiques for jewellery, luxury watches, perfumes, brand fashion clothing, AIDA logo goods)
- Shopping World (added during 2019 refit) is operated by Gebr. Heinemann. The Hamburg family business is AIDA Cruises' longstanding partner and has 140 years’ experience in the worldwide travel market. AIDA Shopping World, now boasting innovative design and 400 m2 space, offers even more choices with the latest trends and famous brands from all over the globe.
- Beauty Salon (Friseur; provides hairdresser, barber services, professional manicure/pedicure)
- Body & Soul Sports Fitness Centre (with a modern Gym and separate area for classes)
- Zen Lounge (relaxation room; hosts indoor classes)
- 4D Kino Cinemare (4D Cinema room)
- Time Out Bar (sports bar); Ocean Bar (outdoor cocktail bar)
- Blutenmeer (Blooming Sea flower shop)
- Sundeck area (served by the Beach Bar)
- Anytime Bar (Diskothek; ship’s disco & nightclub with DJ program and themed dance parties; during the day hosts organized dance classes)
- HYPE (teens club with supervised activities in two age groups – Orcas for 12 -13 yo and Teens 14 -17 yo; complimentary)
- Body & Soul SPA complex (Africa-themed, with Beauty Salon & Spa Reception, massages /treatments rooms, Wellness Suite, Wellness Oase, Aroma Sauna, Finish Sauna, Steam Room, relaxation room)
- Wellness Oase (Oasis, with a large whirlpool, hammocks, relaxation beds, decorated with palm trees and live plants)
- Wellness Suite (max 4 guests, rented for 4 hours; with its own veranda, Sauna, Whirlpool, luxury bath amenities)
- SPA Bar (complimentary fresh fruits, tea, wellness drinks)
- Sundeck / sunbathing area (Freibereich, located above the swimming pool; with loungers, served by the Pool Bar); the ship’s Top Deck is dedicated to Freikorperkultur / FKK Bereich nudist area with sun loungers)
- Sun Deck games area (Sonnendeck – Freibereich, with shuffleboard, giant chess, Boccia, backgammon, darts, table tennis)
- Videowand (outdoor theatre, with a big-size LED screen / sized 8 x 4.5 m)
- Sports Deck area (Sportaussendeck with a combined sports court volleyball/basketball, Golf Cage, putting green area, golf simulator)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track.
AIDAluna - user reviews and comments
Photos of AIDAlunaAdd Photo
AIDAluna ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
AIDA Cruises offers 7-day sailings around the Canary Islands with AIDAperla departing out of Las Palmas, Gran Canaria. With testing for passengers...March 30, 2021
- Cruise Industry
AIDA Cruises announced it is extending the cruise season around the Canary Islands with its AIDAperla until the middle of May. The start and...March 6, 2021
On April 22, 2020, AIDA Cruises (the Germany-based subsidiary company of Carnival Corporation) announced a plan to use the AIDAperla ship to...April 25, 2020
- Cruise Industry
AIDA Cruises is sending 8 ships to the Elbe River during the 2020 cruise season. The vessels will dock in the Hanseatic City a total of 97 times...February 23, 2020
A Maryland State Police helicopter took part in a dramatic rescue Tuesday night (October 29) of a sick passenger from an AIDA Cruises ship in the...October 31, 2019
- Cruise Industry
On November 30, 2019, AIDA Cruises 14th fleet member will be officially named by the 1974-born German fashion model and actress Franziska Knuppe. The...September 20, 2019
- Cruise Industry
AIDAluna successfully ended her wetdock at Blohm+Voss Shipyard (Hamburg, Germany) between April 3-16. The ship now features diverse technical updates...April 19, 2019
- Cruise Industry
The new show “Augenblick” (meaning “Moment”) celebrated a premiere onboard AIDAluna. The show is a music and artistry...October 4, 2018
A German pop singer is reportedly missing from AIDA Cruises ship off the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador. 33-year-old Daniel Kueblboeck, a...September 9, 2018
- show more news
Other AIDA Cruises cruise ships
Luna is AIDA Kreutzfahrten's 3rd vessel which maiden voyage started on March 22, 2009, from homeport Hamburg. Liner's christening ceremony was held on April 4, 2009, in Port Palma (Mallorca-Majorca Island, Spain). Ship's godmother was Franziska Knuppe (1974-born German fashion model and actress). Fun fact is that she is also the godmother of AIDA's 14th fleet member - AIDAmira (ex Costa neoRiviera) that joined the fleet in 2019.
Ship's Theatrium is a 3-level entertainment complex transforming the Atrium into Theater. There is also a 4D Cinema fitted with moving chairs. A biking station provides bicycles to be used on shore excursions in ports of call. A significant amount of indoor-outdoor space is devoted to sports. The Pool Deck area also acts as an outdoor entertainment space. Dining options include 3 informal buffet restaurants, three specialty restaurants (dining at extra charge), plus informal venues for light snacks, pizzas, coffee/tea.
All documents, signage and announcements on board are in German, as the majority of AIDA cruise ship passengers are German-speaking Europeans (Germans, Austrians, Swiss). The crew is international, many of them well-speaking English.
AIDAluna refurbishment 2019 review
- A new lounge facility (Almhutte) is a lodge-style dining venue featuring traditional dishes from the Alps and live music performances. Almhutte represents an expanded restaurant concept with a gourmet menu offering complimentary specialties like pork knuckle, cheese spaetzle noodles, light snacks, draft beers. Service and food are complimentary, all beverages cost extra.
- AIDA Shopping World is a new retail via partnership with the 1879-founded Hamburg-based company Gebr. Heinemann SE & Co KG. AIDA Shopping World features an innovative design and 400 m2 (4300 ft2) retail space with special offers from world's most famous brands.
- Fujifilm Wonder Photo Shop is another new venue offering an interactive experience.
- All passenger staterooms and some public areas were renovated and modernized. All restaurants, bars and the SPA complex were refitted.
During refurbishment 2019, the cruise liner also received technical upgrades (related to shoreside power capabilities), scheduled regular maintenance works (including stabilizers and propulsion units - bow and stern thrusters), Navigation Bridge refurbishment, diesel-electrical plant upgrades, exhaust system and ballast-tanks cleaning, hull coating works.
During vessel's drydock in 2014 (at Blohm+Voss) were conducted maintenance works (stabilizers, steering, body, machinery), installed new exhaust system (scrubber), renovation works (flooring, cabins, public areas, carpeting, new deck floorings), face recognition system was installed at AIDA Photo Shop (reducing printing chemicals and paper consumption by 50%).
AIDAluna User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review