AIDAluna Review and Specifications
Specifications of AIDAluna
|Year built||2009 / Age : 10|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||EUR 315 million (USD 390 million)|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||AIDA Kreuzfahrten (AIDA Cruises)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||251 m / 823 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||69203 gt|
|Passengers||2050 - 2500|
|Decks with cabins||11|
|Christened by||Franziska Knuppe|
Current itinerary / position of AIDAluna
AIDAluna current cruise is 22 days, one-way from New York to Montego Bay. The itinerary starts on 26 Oct, 2019 and ends on 17 Nov, 2019.All Itineraries Current Position
|Date / Time||Port|
|26 Oct||Departing from New York, Cape Liberty Bayonne NJ-NYC hotels|
|29 Oct 08:00 - 18:00||Baltimore, Maryland|
|30 Oct 08:00 - 18:00||Norfolk, Virginia|
|01 Nov 09:00 - 20:00||Charleston, South Carolina|
|03 Nov 07:00 - 18:00||Port Canaveral, Orlando, Florida|
|04 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Miami, Florida|
|05 Nov 08:00 - 14:00||Nassau, New Providence Island, Bahamas|
|07 Nov 08:00 - 20:00||Grand Turk Island|
|08 Nov 07:00 - 13:00||Amber Cove, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic|
|09 Nov 06:00 - 22:00||La Romana, Dominican Republic|
|11 Nov 09:00 - 18:00||Fort-de-France, Martinique|
|12 Nov 09:00 - 19:00||St Johns, Antigua|
|13 Nov 07:00 - 18:00||Philipsburg, St Maarten Island, Dutch Antilles|
|14 Nov 07:00 - 17:00||Tortola Island, Road Town, BVI|
|15 Nov 11:00 - 18:00||Samana, Dominican Republic|
|17 Nov 08:00||Arriving in Montego Bay, Jamaica hotels|
Review of AIDAluna
History - construction and ownership
AIDA Cruises is a Rostock-headquartered subsidiary company owned by Carnival Corporation. AIDA is Europe's largest German cruise line (followed by TUI) targeting younger and more active travellers. AIDA was founded in 1960 (as "Deutsche Seereederei") and in 2000 was acquired by P&O Princess Cruises, which merged with Carnival Corporation (shipowner) in 2003. AIDA's first World Cruise (AIDAcara) was in 2017-2018 (October-February) with 116-day roundtrip itinerary from Hamburg Germany.
The 69,203-ton, 2,100-passenger cruise ship AIDAluna pioneered the poolside theater (dimensions 8 x 4.5 m). The vessel's godmother is the German fashion model Franziska Knuppe. The christening ceremony took place at Palma de Mallorca, on April 4, 2009, during the ship's maiden voyage.
Besides the ship's staff and crew, AIDA cruise passengers are also served by Peper robots - the latest cyborg technology implemented fleetwide in 2016. These humanoid robots greet and guide passengers upon embarkation. They also assist them throughout the cruise by providing information and tips on onboard dining, entertainment, enrichment program (workshops, pre-scheduled events), casino and shopping promotions, shore excursions and tours. Pepper robots are mobile and communicate in 3 languages (English, German, Italian). They can also interpret human emotions by analyzing voice tones and facial expressions.
Cruise itinerary program
AIDAluna itinerary program is based on Caribbean cruises from Dominican Republic and Jamaica, Baltic cruises from Kiel, Germany and Transatlantic relocation crossings.
Most AIDAluna staterooms are 185-250-sq.foot Balcony rooms (480). There are a total of 1025 staterooms (of which 480 Balcony rooms, 186 Outside, 359 Inside) in 18 categories. The largest aboard AIDAluna is the Deluxe Suite (935 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
AIDAluna offers rich restaurants’ choice for her guests, such as the Rossini, the Markt-Restaurant, Buffalo Steak Restaurant, Bella Vista (serving pizza & pasta 24-hours per day), sushi bar. AIDAluna restaurants are open seating. The buffets give passengers the chance to try food from several countries. Good wines are available to try. The Markt buffet Restaurant is located on deck 9. It is self-service and has a diverse and rich buffet. There are no strict dress codes or fixed dining times. Basic beverages, including house wines and beer, are free of charge at the buffet restaurants.
Follows the complete list of AIDAluna restaurants and food bars.
- Rossini (a speciality, dinner-only restaurant at surcharge, reservations required; offers waiter service and 6-course a-la-carte menu)
- Markt Restaurant (complimentary main dining room; self-service buffet restaurant with a variety of food stations and a small terrace)
- Bella Vista (Italian cuisine restaurant, complimentary, buffet-style dining, open 24 hours)
- Buffalo Steakhouse (American fare restaurant with a la carte menu; reservations required; at a surcharge)
- Weite Welt (Wide World complimentary buffet-style restaurant; has indoor/outdoor seating)
- Almhütte (added during 2019 refit) boasts ski-lodge style, tasty dishes from the Alps, and hearty music. Passengers can enjoy pork knuckle, cheese spaetzle noodles, snacks, and fresh draft beer. Service and foods are included in the fare, with a surcharge for drinks.
- Sushi Bar (Japanese restaurant at surcharge, reservations are required)
- Pizzeria Mare (Italian pizza restaurant; complimentary, self-service/buffet dining).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
AIDAluna boasts a total of eleven bars. The ship is famous with her good internet connectivity and a theatrium with a total floor area of 3,000 m2 (its stage can be reconfigured for different shows). SPA & Sports facilities include AIDAluna SPA and fitness areas which are in a favourable location above the bridge. This area provides palm trees, hammocks, cabana-style beds, and an enormous Jacuzzi. Volleyball, golf, squash, and many other sports are offered to AIDAluna passengers as the finest amenities for recreation.
Follows the complete list of AIDAluna lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Pier 3 Bar (coffee bar)
- Kids Club (AIDA Cruises kids program is complimentary, with supervised, age-appropriate activities: the 3 age groups include Seahorses for 3-6 yo, Dolphins for 7-9 yo and Sharks 10-11 yo; the Kids Club has an outdoor area with a paddling pool)
- Internet stations with printers (located in the Reception/Lobby area; Wi-Fi coverage is available shipwide, including in all guests rooms)
- Studio AIDA (TV studio, producing films related to ship's itinerary and activities, plus a radio program)
- AIDA Luna Bar (cocktail bar with live music)
- Theatrium (948-seat, 3-deck high; a combination of an Atrium and a theatre, with glass walls, a stage with dynamic platforms, and glass dome; hosts large-scale productions). Unique to the AIDAluna ship show held here is Augenblick (a futuristic musical introduced in 2018). The new show features artists interacting with the theatre's large LED screens, aerial acrobatic performances (bungee ropes), special effects.
- Art Gallery (Kunstgalerie; sells original artworks of renowned art schools and German artists; hosts art auctions)
- AIDA Lounge (with 270-degree panoramic views and comfortable seating)
- The Library (Bibliotek; offers card and board games)
- AIDAluna casino
- Cafe Mare (patisserie & speciality coffee bar)
- Vinotek (fine wines shop; offers sommelier service and wine tasting events)
- AIDA Bar (big-capacity lounge with panoramic windows)
- Photo Gallery & Shop (professional photo & video services, duty-free accessories and equipment; new feature are the photo kiosks with touch-screens /face-recognition system). Fujifilm Wonder Photo Shop (added during 2019 refit) turns photography into a creative experience via a wide variety of materials.
- AIDA Shop (duty-free merchandise at discount prices; the shopping arcade has a general store selling liquor and tobaccos, as well as small boutiques for jewellery, luxury watches, perfumes, brand fashion clothing, AIDA logo goods)
- Shopping World (added during 2019 refit) is operated by Gebr. Heinemann. The Hamburg family business is AIDA Cruises' longstanding partner and has 140 years’ experience in the worldwide travel market. AIDA Shopping World, now boasting innovative design and 400 m2 space, offers even more choices with the latest trends and famous brands from all over the globe.
- Beauty Salon (Friseur; provides hairdresser, barber services, professional manicure/pedicure)
- Body & Soul Sports Fitness Centre (with a modern Gym and separate area for classes)
- Zen Lounge (relaxation room; hosts indoor classes)
- 4D Kino Cinemare (4D Cinema room)
- Time Out Bar (sports bar); Ocean Bar (outdoor cocktail bar)
- Blutenmeer (Blooming Sea flower shop)
- Sundeck area (served by the Beach Bar)
- Anytime Bar (Diskothek; ship’s disco & nightclub with DJ program and themed dance parties; during the day hosts organized dance classes)
- HYPE (teens club with supervised activities in two age groups – Orcas for 12 -13 yo and Teens 14 -17 yo; complimentary)
- Body & Soul SPA complex (Africa-themed, with Beauty Salon & Spa Reception, massages /treatments rooms, Wellness Suite, Wellness Oase, Aroma Sauna, Finish Sauna, Steam Room, relaxation room)
- Wellness Oase (Oasis, with a large whirlpool, hammocks, relaxation beds, decorated with palm trees and live plants)
- Wellness Suite (max 4 guests, rented for 4 hours; with its own veranda, Sauna, Whirlpool, luxury bath amenities)
- SPA Bar (complimentary fresh fruits, tea, wellness drinks)
- Sundeck / sunbathing area (Freibereich, located above the swimming pool; with loungers, served by the Pool Bar); the ship’s Top Deck is dedicated to Freikorperkultur / FKK Bereich nudist area with sun loungers)
- Sun Deck games area (Sonnendeck – Freibereich, with shuffleboard, giant chess, Boccia, backgammon, darts, table tennis)
- Videowand (outdoor theatre, with a big-size LED screen / sized 8 x 4.5 m)
- Sports Deck area (Sportaussendeck with a combined sports court volleyball/basketball, Golf Cage, putting green area, golf simulator)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track.
AIDAluna - user reviews and comments
Photos of AIDAlunaAdd Photo
AIDAluna ship related cruise news
A Maryland State Police helicopter took part in a dramatic rescue Tuesday night (October 29) of a sick passenger from an AIDA Cruises ship in the...October 31, 2019
- Cruise Industry
On November 30, 2019, AIDA Cruises 14th fleet member will be officially named by the 1974-born German fashion model and actress Franziska Knuppe. The...September 20, 2019
- Cruise Industry
AIDAluna successfully ended her wetdock at Blohm+Voss Shipyard (Hamburg, Germany) between April 3-16. The ship now features diverse technical updates...April 19, 2019
- Cruise Industry
The new show “Augenblick” (meaning “Moment”) celebrated a premiere onboard AIDAluna. The show is a music and artistry...October 4, 2018
A German pop singer is reportedly missing from AIDA Cruises ship off the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador. 33-year-old Daniel Kueblboeck, a...September 9, 2018
- show more news
Other AIDA Cruises cruise ships
Luna is AIDA Kreutzfahrten's 3rd vessel which maiden voyage started on March 22, 2009, from homeport Hamburg. Liner's christening ceremony was held on April 4, 2009, in Port Palma (Mallorca-Majorca Island, Spain). Ship's godmother was Franziska Knuppe (1974-born German fashion model and actress). Fun fact is that she is also the godmother of AIDA's 14th fleet member - AIDAmira (ex Costa neoRiviera) that joined the fleet in 2019.
Ship's Theatrium is a 3-level entertainment complex transforming the Atrium into Theater. There is also a 4D Cinema fitted with moving chairs. A biking station provides bicycles to be used on shore excursions in ports of call. A significant amount of indoor-outdoor space is devoted to sports. The Pool Deck area also acts as an outdoor entertainment space. Dining options include 3 informal buffet restaurants, three specialty restaurants (dining at extra charge), plus informal venues for light snacks, pizzas, coffee/tea.
All documents, signage and announcements on board are in German, as the majority of AIDA cruise ship passengers are German-speaking Europeans (Germans, Austrians, Swiss). The crew is international, many of them well-speaking English.
AIDAluna refurbishment 2019 review
- A new lounge facility (Almhutte) is a lodge-style dining venue featuring traditional dishes from the Alps and live music performances. Almhutte represents an expanded restaurant concept with a gourmet menu offering complimentary specialties like pork knuckle, cheese spaetzle noodles, light snacks, draft beers. Service and food are complimentary, all beverages cost extra.
- AIDA Shopping World is a new retail via partnership with the 1879-founded Hamburg-based company Gebr. Heinemann SE & Co KG. AIDA Shopping World features an innovative design and 400 m2 (4300 ft2) retail space with special offers from world's most famous brands.
- Fujifilm Wonder Photo Shop is another new venue offering an interactive experience.
- All passenger staterooms and some public areas were renovated and modernized. All restaurants, bars and the SPA complex were refitted.
During refurbishment 2019, the cruise liner also received technical upgrades (related to shoreside power capabilities), scheduled regular maintenance works (including stabilizers and propulsion units - bow and stern thrusters), Navigation Bridge refurbishment, diesel-electrical plant upgrades, exhaust system and ballast-tanks cleaning, hull coating works.
During vessel's drydock in 2014 (at Blohm+Voss) were conducted maintenance works (stabilizers, steering, body, machinery), installed new exhaust system (scrubber), renovation works (flooring, cabins, public areas, carpeting, new deck floorings), face recognition system was installed at AIDA Photo Shop (reducing printing chemicals and paper consumption by 50%).
The below listed AIDAluna cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest AIDA Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2019 Oct 26||14 days, one-way from New York to La Romana||New York|
|2019 Oct 26||22 days, one-way from New York to Montego Bay||New York|
|2019 Nov 09||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2019 Nov 17||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2019 Nov 23||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2019 Dec 01||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2019 Dec 07||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2019 Dec 15||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2019 Dec 21||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2019 Dec 29||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2020 Jan 04||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2020 Jan 12||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2020 Jan 18||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2020 Jan 26||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2020 Feb 01||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2020 Feb 09||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2020 Feb 15||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2020 Feb 23||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2020 Feb 29||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2020 Mar 08||24 days, one-way from Montego Bay to Hamburg||Montego Bay|
|2020 Mar 14||18 days, one-way from La Romana to Hamburg||La Romana|
|2020 Apr 01||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Grosbritannien||Hamburg|
|2020 Apr 05||10 days, round-trip Norwegens Kuste Mit Fjorden||Hamburg|
|2020 Apr 15||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Nach Grosbritannien||Hamburg|
|2020 Apr 19||10 days, round-trip Norwegens Kuste Mit Fjorden||Hamburg|
|2020 Apr 29||4 days, one-way from Hamburg to Kiel||Hamburg|
|2020 May 03||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Norwegen & Danemark||Kiel|
|2020 May 07||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Norwegen & Danemark||Kiel|
|2020 May 11||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Norwegen & Danemark||Kiel|
|2020 May 15||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Norwegen & Danemark||Kiel|
|2020 May 19||4 days, round-trip Kurzreise Norwegen & Danemark||Kiel|
|2020 May 23||10 days, round-trip Norwegens Kuste Mit Fjorden Ab Kiel||Kiel|
|2020 Jun 02||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2020 Jun 19||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2020 Jul 06||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2020 Jul 23||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2020 Aug 09||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2020 Aug 26||17 days, one-way from Kiel to New York||Kiel|
|2020 Sep 12||14 days, round-trip New York, Florida & Karibik||New York|
|2020 Sep 26||14 days, round-trip New York, Florida & Karibik||New York|
|2020 Oct 10||14 days, round-trip New York, Florida & Karibik||New York|
|2020 Oct 24||14 days, one-way from New York to La Romana||New York|
|2020 Oct 24||22 days, one-way from New York to Montego Bay||New York|
|2020 Nov 07||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2020 Nov 15||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2020 Nov 21||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2020 Nov 29||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2020 Dec 05||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2020 Dec 13||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2020 Dec 19||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2020 Dec 27||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2021 Jan 02||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2021 Jan 10||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2021 Jan 16||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2021 Jan 24||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2021 Jan 30||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2021 Feb 07||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2021 Feb 13||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2021 Feb 21||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 2||Montego Bay|
|2021 Feb 27||14 days, round-trip Karibik & Mittelamerika 1||La Romana|
|2021 Apr 04||10 days, round-trip Norwegens Kuste Mit Fjorden||Hamburg|
|2021 Apr 18||10 days, round-trip Norwegens Kuste Mit Fjorden||Hamburg|
|2021 May 15||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2021 Jun 01||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2021 Jun 18||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2021 Jul 05||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2021 Jul 22||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
|2021 Aug 08||17 days, round-trip Highlights Am Polarkreis||Kiel|
AIDAluna User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review