Ajaccio cruise port is located on the western coast of Corsica. The port city is the largest on the island and is famous with the fact that it is the birthplace of Napoleon. Ajaccio cruise port is situated in the Gulf of Ajaccio. The city covers a total area of approx 82 km2 (31,67 ml2) and has a population of around 68,600 people (2014 census). It attracts tourist with its unusual shops and amazing restaurants. Ajaccio is easily explored only on foot and has one of the most breathtaking harbours in the world. The city is French but still there is some Italian influence.
- The port of Ajaccio is linked with mainland France on an almost daily basis (Toulon, Nice, Marseille). There are also occasional connections to mainland Italy (Livorno) and to Sardinia, along with a seasonal service serving Propriano and Calvi. The major shipping companies providing the links are Corsica Ferries and SNCM.
- Ajaccio has become a stopover for cruise vacations with a total of more than 418,000 passengers (2007), the largest in Corsica and the 2nd-largest in France (following Marseille, but ahead of Nice and Cannes). Ajaccio aims for eventually becoming the premier French port for cruises and a main departure point. The city's port function is also served by commercial, pleasure craft, artisanal fisheries (three ports).
- Ajaccio cruise port is in the itineraries of major cruise lines including Costa Cruises, Royal Caribbean International, AIDA, Princess Cruises, Oceania Cruises, Regent, Silversea, MSC Cruises, Pullmantur Cruises, Holland America Line, Cunard, Seabourn and Phoenix.
Ajaccio cruise terminal
Ajaccio cruise port is a tender port. Cruise ships anchor in the harbour and their passengers are transported via the ship's tender boats to the pier. The cruise terminal is located at Quai L’Herminier. On its east side is the ferry terminal and on the west side is the fishing port. Ajaccio cruise port terminal is small but modern and is known as Gare Maritime.
The terminal offers booking desks, telephones, toilets and taxi services. Ajaccio International Airport is 7 km from Ajaccio cruise port terminal. The city highlights are within walking distance. You have to head left outside the terminal and continue along the road for half a kilometre to reach the heart of the city.
If you want to use a taxi, be aware to negotiate the price. There is a taxi rank near Ajaccio cruise port terminal. The official language of the area is French, the currency – Euro.
Ajaccio tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Bonaparte House: located at Rue St Charles. The Maison Bonaparte is the place where on 15 Aug, 1769 Napoleon was born. The house is close to the Town Hall. You can see original furniture, family documents and portraits.
- Napoleonic Museum: located at 50 rue Fesch, in the Town Hall (Hôtel de Ville).
- Notre-Dame de la Miséricorde: it dates from 1593 and is dedicated to the patroness of Ajaccio – La Madunuccia. Famous painting inside the first chapel is “Du Sacré Côur” by Eugène Delacroix.
- Place de Gaulle: this is the center of the city. There is located a statue of Napoleon and his four brothers. It twas constructed by Viollet le-Duc in 1865.
- Cours Napoléon: the main shopping street. It starts north from the Place de Gaulle square.
- Palais Fesch: located at 50 rue Fesch. The imperial Chapel house the Napoleon’s mother mausoleum.
- Fesch Museum: located at 50 rue Fesch in the Palais Fesch’s first floor. The museum displays collection of Italian paintings from the period 14th-19th centuries.
- Bandera Museum: located at 1 rue du général Levie. The museum tells the history of Corsica and other Mediterranean islands with events.
Port Ajaccio cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ajaccio, Corsica France. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|4 May, 2021|
|5 May, 2021|
|13 May, 2021|
|15 May, 2021|
|Mein Schiff 2||08:00||19:00|
|18 May, 2021|
|19 May, 2021|
|25 May, 2021|
|Mein Schiff 2||08:00||19:00|
|26 May, 2021|
|26 May, 2021|
- Cruise Industry
Ponant unveiled a selection of original summer 2022 cruises designed to meet everyone’s desires. There are 150+ sailings covering the...April 14, 2021
- show more news