Review of Carnival Sunshine deck 10 (Spa-WaterWorks)
- Spa Deck Cloud 9 Spa cabins from 10,101 to 10,145, of which Inside cabins (category 4S), Balcony cabins (8S), Spa Suites (SS).
- The fore-located Cloud 9 Spa and Fitness Center (open between 6 am – 11 pm) is the ship’s wellness complex. It consists of Gymnasium (complimentary, floor-ceiling windows, equipped with free weights /TROY dumbbells, weight machines, treadmills, steppers, ellipticals, recumbent exercise cycles, Concept 2/indoor rowing machines, Kinesis wall), Fitness Studio (for classes), Fitness Desk (assistance), Beauty Salon (facials, manicure/pedicure, hair styling-cutting-coloring, eye brow shaping, makeup, waxing, grooming-barbering, teeth whitening, Medi-Spa), 15 Treatment Rooms (incl for acupuncture, hot stone, Botox, body wraps), VIP and VIP Couples (massage rooms / private suites with whirlpools), Thalassotherapy pool (mineral rich seawater, temperature 33 C / 91 F, hydrotherapy jets, covered by a glass roof), Spa Reception, separate male/female lockers (2 changing rooms, each with complimentary sauna/steam room/showers). The lockers’ showers are glass-enclosed and multi-jet. Shower heads are massaging (1 rain head above, 4 side). The Thermal Suite consists of 4 heat therapy chambers – Tepidarium (relaxation room with heated loungers /ergonomically shaped, 38 C / 100 F), Laconium (dry heat bath, 55-65 C / 131-149 F), Aroma Steam Bath (aromatic steam grotto, 40-50 C / 104-112 F), Oriental Steam Bath (aka Caldarium, high humidity heat, 40-50 C / 104-112 F). ZSPA (teen spa treatments for teenager 12-17 yo) include facials, massages, scrubs, manicures/pedicures, hair styling-coloring-cutting. To utilize the Cloud 9 Spa facilities (treatment rooms, Thalassotherapy Pool, Thermal Suite) passengers must be at least 18 yo. They should wear bathing suits during massages and wraps. Teenagers (12-17 yo) are allowed to use the wellness facilities (fitness/spa) only when accompanied by an adult. Daily, at the Ocean Plaza Lounge (aft on Promenaded Deck) are scheduled complimentary health seminars (fitness-wellness-beauty) themed on aging, posture, detox, dieting, weight-loss, skin care, pro-collagen, acne attack /teens).
- Some fitness classes are complimentary (aerobics, stretching, abs, body conditioning, Tai Chi) and some are at fee pp (Yoga, Pilates, spinning, boot camp, indoor cycling, personal training sessions). Follows the list of offered on Carnival cruises fitness classes (lead by professional trainers). In brackets are shown duration in minutes and cost (prices in USD pp) – Personal Training (60 min $85 / 3 courses $210), Nutritional Consultation (60 min $85), Metabolism Test (30 min $35), Boot Camp (4-day body sculpturing $120). Priced at $12 pp are Tour de Cycle (indoor cycling, 45 min), Pathway to Yoga (45 min) and Pathway to Pilates (45 min).
- Thermal Suite facilities offer unlimited access to passengers booked in Carnival Sunshine Spa rooms. Depending on itinerary length, full-cruise Thermal Suite passes are priced as follows – 5-day ($119 pp), 6-day ($139 pp), 7-day ($169 pp), 8-day ($189 pp). Currently, day-passes (priced $40 pp) are not available.
- Carnival Cloud 9 Spa menu of treatments (facials and massages) includes (duration in minutes, prices in USD pp) – Elemis Aroma Stone Therapy (50 min $150, 75 min $195), Thai Herbal Poultice Massage (rhythmic, acupressure movements, 75 min $195), Bamboo Massage (50 min $160, 75 min $200), Elemis Absolute Spa Ritual (100 min $265), Elemis Face and Body Sensation (50 min $160), Couples Massage (full body Swedish or Elemis, 50 min $270), Reflexology Massage (feet, 50 min $120), Elemis Deep Tissue Muscle Massage (50 min $130), Swedish Massage (50 min $120), Villa Massage and Bathing Ritual (Villa / VIP Suites, 75 min $330), Ionithermie Cellulite Reduction (a course of 3 treatments during the cruise, 50 min each / $160), Bliss fatgirlslim (dry brushing, seaweed mask, heated wrap, 75 min $150), Elemis Body Sculpting Cellulite and Colon Therapy (50 min $125), Elemis Exotic Lime and Ginger Salt Glow (half body 50 min $155, full body 75 min $200), Elemis Aroma Spa Seaweed Massage (heated mask, half body 75 min $195, full body 100 min $260), Tooth Whitening (free consultation, 30 min), Elemis Pro-Collagen Grooming Treatment with Shave (facial, massage, double close shave /55 min), Elemis Express Shave (30 min), Elemis Deep Cleanse Grooming Treatment with Shave (massage, cleansing mask /45 min), Elemis Skin IQ for Men Facial (50 min), Elemis Urban Cleanse for Men Facial (50 min).
- Carnival Cloud 9 Spa menu of Medi-Spa treatments includes – Acupuncture (by certified acupuncturist, first session 50 min $150, additional sessions up to 45 min $125, first facial session 75 min, additional facial sessions up to 60 min), Medi-Spa Cosmetic Treatments (free doctor consultation), Dermal Filler Treatments (Restylane, Perlane /30 min), BOTOX Cosmetic, DYSPORT Wrinkle Treatments (both are upper face, nonsurgical and FDA approved /30 min). All Medi-Spa treatments are administered on the ship by a dedicated physician (licensed medical doctor).
- Carnival Cloud 9 Spa menu of ZSPA treatments (for teenagers 12-17 yo) includes (duration in minutes / prices in USD pp) – Fabulously Fruity Facial (50 min / $100), Acne Attack Facial (50 min / $100), Heavenly Massage (aromatherapy oils, Swedish massage, 50 min / $90), Paradise Massage (mother and daughter, 25 min / $100, 50 min / $195), Chill Out Massage (father and son, 25 min / $100, 50 min / $195), Surfers Scrub (25 min / $65), Fitness Frenzy (3 boot camp classes, $55), Magical Manicure (25 min / $30), Sole Mate (45 min / $40). The list of Beauty Salon services for teens includes – boys (cut only 30 min $25), boys and girls (cut and color 120 min $120), girls (cut only 60 min $60), style only (30 min $45). ZSPA services are available between 8 am – 8 pm. Upon booking treatments, teens must be accompanied by an adult (parent/guardian) who completes and signs the ZSPA form.
- Seaside Theatre (huge LED screen outdoor cinema- movies, concerts, sport events, stage for live performances and games)
- Camp Ocean (formerly Camp Carnival) is the ship’s kids complex providing supervised by counselors age-appropriate activities and themed entertainment for 3 age groups – 2-5 yo (Penguins), 6-8 yo (Stingrays), 9-11 yo (Sharks). Each group has its own room and dedicated staff. Operational hours (may vary due to Carnival cruise itineraries) are – seadays (10 am – 1 pm, 2 – 5 pm, 7 – 10 pm) and portdays (port arrival time until 2 pm, and 2-10 pm). Youth staff is international, professional, CPR-certified. Staffing depends on the ship’s current cruise itinerary and season. All children must constantly wear their muster station wristbands (available here or at Guest Services). In cases of emergency, parents must collect their kid’s lifejacket from their cabin (when pick up their own). Camp Ocean provides supervised dinners for kids every evening (between 6 – 6:45 pm – time may vary due to itinerary) excepting the first evening. Kids-only dinners (chaperoned) take place in the Lido buffet restaurant. Among the menu choices are mac and cheese, pizza, burgers, hot-dogs, fries, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, spaghetti and meatballs, vegetables, fruits, Jell-O. Carnival Cruise Lines Camp Ocean youth program is complimentary and offers over 200 marine-themed activities. The programming also includes family afternoons (when parents can play with their kids) and a family day with group activities, like face painting and family scavenger hunts (parents and kids receive cameras and search for things hidden in various places throughout the ship). For Carnival Camp Ocean participants only (kids under 5 and kids with special needs/allergies) are provided complimentary beepers, cell phones and phone chargers. At fee can be rented baby strollers (single and double) – 5-day+ itineraries ($30 full cruise) and 3-4-day itineraries ($8 per day).
- Creative Cove is a dedicated room for kids arts-crafts and workshops. The Beary Cuddly Workshop is a build-your-own-stuffed-animal activity where kids can make and take home a stuffed toy (teddy, bear, dog, lion, koala). This workshop is for-fee (prices start from $20 depending on selected outfits/accouterments). A portion of these sales goes to St Jude Children’s Research Hospital (Memphis TN). The “Build-A-Bear Workshop at Sea” is a themed activity via an exclusive partnership with the toy company. Like at its stores on land, the Carnival’s cruise ship workshop allows children to create and dress their own toy bears using a variety of materials, outfits and accessories, including toy shoes/sneakers, all kinds of suits, hats, sunglasses. Each bear also has its own voice (kids record the voices themselves).
- Camp Ocean PENGUINS (2-5 yo) arts-crafts, Penguin Palooza (costume making, parades), music/singalongs, aerobics, sculpturing, face painting, T-shirt decorating, bingo (candy prizes), story time (reading), Dr Seuss, Mr Potato Head, Playstation gaming, dance parties, indoor ball games, movie nights, “Owl Jams” themed parties (10pm-12 midnight /fees apply).
- Camp Ocean STINGRAYS (6-8 yo) PlayStation-Nintendo games, arts-crafts, Pirate Game Night, Memory Game, face painting, T-shirt decorating, sport contests, music time, bingo (prizes), Superheroes, “Fun Til’ One” themed parties (10pm-1am /fees apply).
- Camp Ocean SHARKS (9-11 yo) PlayStation-Nintendo games, music trivia, arts-crafts, T-shirt decorating, design your own cruise ship, scavenger hunts, origami, bingo (prizes), dance parties, outdoor sports competitions, Fun At Sea themed parties (10pm-1am /fees apply).
- Camp Ocean NIGHT OWLS (babysitting of kids 6 months to 11 yo) is available each evening between 10 pm – 1 am (no in-cabin babysitting). The service is at fee $6,75 per kid per hour (plus 15% gratuity, no discounts). Fees are paid via the S&S card (ship account /no cash) and due upon pick-up. Any kid left past 1 am is charged double and forfeits babysitting privileges for the remainder of the cruise. The service offers slumber party activities (movies, toys, board games, video games, arts-crafts) and includes room-service snacks. Babysitting of infants (babies under 2 yo) on portdays begins 15 min before first shore excursion/tour until 12 noon (or from 1 to 5 pm on port arrivals after 12 noon) and on seadays from 8 to 10 am. Kids don’t have to be potty-trained (parents provide diapers/toiletries).
- Carnival’s Camp Ocean themed programming on select nights offers additional parties (surcharged $13 per kid plus 15% gratuity). These are “Owl Jams” (2-11 yo, 10pm-12 midnight /challenges, hide and seek, music), “Fun Til One” (6-8 yo, 10pm-1am /video gaming, dancing, singing) and “Fun At Sea” (9-11 yo, 10pm-1am /video gaming, sports events, pizza). Snacks and beverages are included.
- Circle C is a children club lounge (for kids 12-14 yo). The experience (complimentary) includes dedicated lounge area (modern design, dance floor, high-tech sound and lighting system, gaming pods and consoles, plasma TV), dedicated director, specifically designed activities, such as video gaming, movies, themed parties, scavenger hunts, karaoke, Make Your Own Pizza, sport competitions (basketball, dodgeball, mini-golf), music and movie/cartoon trivia games, arts-crafts (origami, bead making, T-shirt decoration), late night hangouts with teens (lido deck), Twister Waterslide racing. Among the outside Circle C places for dedicated activities are the ship’s disco nightclub, theater, sports court, Waterworks park, pool deck (Pizzeria).
- Club O2 is a teens only club lounge (for teenagers 15-17 yo). The experience (complimentary) includes dedicated lounge area (smoking/alcohol free, no kids/adults 18+ yo are allowed), dedicated staff (director, hosts, entertainers DJs), exclusive programming (via partnership with Coca-Cola) and activities, such as meet-greets, karaoke and dance contests, movies and video games, sport games and competitions (basketball, dodgeball, mini-golf), stage shows, themed parties (teen disco, pizza, pool, gender wars), smoothie time, T-shirt decoration, teens only shore excursions (depending on cruise itinerary ports). Among the outside Club O2 places for teen activities are the theater, sports court, Waterworks park, pool deck (Pizzeria).
- Carnival WaterWorks is the ship’s aqua park (open between 10 am – 5 pm) consisting of 1 whirlpool, Splash Zone (fountains, water spray cannons, jets, splash pools), Power Drencher (300-gallon / 1135 litres tipping bucket that reverses poles to dump its huge amount of water at regular intervals), 2 mini racing slides for kids, Speedway Splash (235 ft / 72 m long dual racing slide with digital scoreboard showing racers times, special lighting effects), Twister Waterslide (spiraling tube, 334 ft / 102 m long). To ride the water-slides, passengers must be at least 107 cm / 42 inches tall (no weight restrictions). Minor passengers (kids under 13 yo) need parents’ permit. Eyeglasses must be affixed with head straps. Not permitted are – not toilet trained kids (also in diapers/swim diapers), multiple riders, flotation devices, swimwear with exposed metal parts (zippers, buckles, rivets, ornamentation), jewelry/accessories, the use of Splash Park areas without adult supervision.
In comparison to sistership Carnival Sunrise (Triumph), Carnival Sunshine has bigger-sized WaterWorks located aft (midship on Sunrise). Sunrise also lacks SkyCourse (roupe course).
(WaterWorks auqa park slides and SkyCourse / roupe course)
WaterWorks auqa park slides