Moreton Island is an island located on Moreton Bay's eastern side, on the coast of South East Queensland, Australia. Coral Sea lies on the island's east coast. Moreton Island is 58 kilometres (36 miles) northeast of Queensland capital, Brisbane. Its total area is 186 km2 (72 ml2). 95% of it is contained within the national park and popular destination for day trippers, camping, recreational angling, four wheel driving and whale watching- just a 75-min ferry ride from Brisbane. Moreton Island is also the world's 3rd largest sand island. Together with Fraser, Moreton Island forms the biggest sand structure in the world. In 2011 its population totalled only 300 people.
- The island is within Brisbane city and is gazetted into 4 localities, the tiny townships of Bulwer, Kooringal and Cowan Cowan, with the bulk of the isle being the Moreton Island locality. A small number of residents live in 4 small settlements.
- The Tangalooma resort is within the Moreton Island locality. Tangalooma was the site of whaling station. All residential areas are situated on the western coast of the isle facing Moreton Bay.
- Moreton Island received its name by Matthew Flinders. At least 5 lighthouses have been built on it.
- Access to the island is possible by passenger ferry or vehicular barge.
- Moreton Island is a popular tourist destination for fishing and camping.
- It is one of the wettest parts of Brisbane city with precipitation evenly spread throughout the year in comparison with other South East Queensland's parts. Cape Moreton receives annual average rainfall of 1,567 mm (61.7 in).
Moreton Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Moreton Island dock (anchor) at Tangalooma - port town on the western coast.
Port Moreton Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Moreton Island, Queensland Australia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|11 November, 2018|
The Moreton Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Moreton Island, Queensland Australia.
If you lose the Moreton Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.