Paamiut (also known as Frederikshab) is a port town in Sermersooq (southwestern Greenland), on Labrador Sea's coast. It has population of around 1,500 people, ranking it Greenland's 8th-largest town.
- Archaeological finds suggest that the region has been populated in a variety of periods since 1500 BC.
- The town was founded in 1742 as Frederikshaab (aka Frederick's Hope) by Jacob Severin's company. The early community prospered on fur trading and whale products.
- Originally, Paamiut was intended to be a trading station. However, eventually it was transformed into fur and whale-product station (1774).
- The town's industry is based on commercial fishing. Minke whales, killer whales, humpback whales and fin whales are the species which are most likely to frequent local waters.
- One of Greenland's finest Norwegian-style churches was built in Paamiut in 1909. There is also a museum housed in original buildings from the 20th century, including a carpenter workshop and salt warehouse. It displays historical photographs, Eskimo and Inuit artifacts, as well as one of Greenland's best stone collections.
- Passengers can visit an Inuit settlement: seal hunting, sheep raising and fishing are the main activities there.
- Paamiut is small and ideal for getting around on foot. During winter, it is possible to navigate the town by snowmobile or on skis.
- Paamiut boasts up to 50 km long nature trails that are 1000 years old and head out from the town into interior. The Blue Mountains (in Greenlandic "Naajat"), are within hiking distance.
- The largest population of protected white-tailed eagles in Greenland is found in Paamiut.
- In summer 2014, the Danish Royal Family visited Paamiut as part of its official tour of Greenland.
- Paamiut is a port of call for the Arctic Umiaq Line (ferry company).
- In 2007 was opened the Paamiut Airport (by Greenland Airports) offering flight connections to Nuuk and Narsarsuaq served by the domestic airline Air Greenland.
Paamiut Greenland was included as port of call in the Northwest Passage cruises of the following passenger ships:
- Seven Seas Navigator - 63-days itinerary from Miami Florida to Montreal Quebec (2017 - June 17 to August 18)
- Note: All Northwest Passage ship transits are assisted by a Canadian icebreaker or other vessel with an ice-strengthened hull.
Highlights: Kvanefjord, Eagles, Museum, Inuit settlement
The Paamiut cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Paamiut, Greenland.
If you lose the Paamiut location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Paamiut cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Paamiut, Greenland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
8 October, 2017