Paamiut (aka Frederikshab) is a port town in Sermersooq (southwestern Greenland), on Labrador Sea's coast. The town has population around 1500, ranking it Greenland's 8th-largest. Port Paamiut is part of the Arctic Umiaq Line ferry route roundtrip from Nuuk. It connects Nuuk, Maniitsoq, Kangaamiut, Sisimiut, Aasiaat, Ilulissat, Aasiaat, Sisimiut, Kangaamiut, Maniitsoq, Nuuk, Qeqertarsuatsiaat, Paamiut, Arsuk, Qaqortoq, Narsaq, Arsuk, Paamiut, Qeqertarsuatsiaat, Nuuk
- The town was founded in 1742 as Frederikshaab by Jacob Severin's company as trading station. The settlement prospered on fur trading and whale products.
- Town's current economy is based on commercial fishing. In the surrounding waters can be seen Minke whales, killer whales, humpback whales and fin whales. Main activities for the locals are seal hunting, sheep raising and fishing.
- One of Greenland's finest Norwegian-style churches was built here in 1909. Another tourist attraction is a museum (housed in original 20th century buildings) including carpenter workshop and salt warehouse. It displays historical photographs, Eskimo and Inuit artifacts, as well as one of Greenland's best stone collections. Cruise passengers can visit an Inuit settlement. Greenland's largest population of white-tailed eagles is also in Paamiut.
- Paamiut offers up to 50 km (30 ml) long nature trails heading out from the town into interior. Blue Mountains (Naajat) are within hiking distance.
- In 2007 was opened the Paamiut Airport (by Greenland Airports) offering flight connections to Nuuk and Narsarsuaq served by the domestic airline Air Greenland.
Paamiut Greenland was included as port of call in the Northwest Passage cruises of the following passenger ships:
- Seven Seas Navigator - 63-days itinerary from Miami Florida to Montreal Quebec (2017 - June 17 to August 18)
- Note: All Northwest Passage ship transits are assisted by a Canadian icebreaker or other vessel with an ice-strengthened hull.
Highlights: Kvanefjord, Eagles, Museum, Inuit settlement
Port Paamiut cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Paamiut, Greenland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|9 August, 2018|
|11 August, 2018|
|27 August, 2018|
The Paamiut cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Paamiut, Greenland.
If you lose the Paamiut location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.