30 °F / -1 °C
Beppu is a port city located in Oita Prefecture (northeastern Kyushu Island, Japan), located at the west end of Beppu Bay. The city has total area approx 125 km2 (48 ml2) and population around 122,000.
- The city lies between the sea and the mountains, and is most famous for its hot springs ("Beppu Onsen"). There are 8 major geothermal hot spots, also referred to as "eight hells of Beppu" - 6 in Kannawa district and 2 in Shibaseki district.
- A popular event is the annual Beppu-Oita Marathon (since 1952). The marathon's path is between Beppu and Oita.
- Lake Shidaka is located approx 600 m (1970 ft) above sea level.
- Otobaru Waterfall is in the city's mountain region, around 20 min walk from the amusement park Wonder Rakutenchi.
- Takasakiyama Monkey Park is around 10 min bus ride from the city center. The park has over 1500 Japanese macaques monkeys.
- Kijima Kogen resort includes a hotel and an 18-hole golf course alongside an amusement park.
- Besides its hot springs, Beppu also has sand and foot baths. A popular spot is ”Beppu marine beach sand bath and foot bath", around 15 min bus drive from the city's main train station.
- Beppu Park is in the city center, around 15-min walk from the train station.
- The annual Beppu Fireworks Festival is in late July. Its fireworks show includes over 5000 fireworks set off from small boats scattered around Beppu Bay.
- Another popular among tourist event is the art festival held here every 3 years.
Beppu cruise terminal
Beppu cruise port is in a harbour located in Beppu Bay's western (inner) part. Cruise ships dock at port's large-sized wharf. The port has 8 ship docking berths. The deepest berth is at Wharf 3, allowing large-sized cruise vessels with max draft 12 m (40 ft) and GT up to 140,000 tons. Wharf 3 has also a ferry terminal handling Ro-Pax ships (passenger and car ferries).
Port Beppu is conveniently located in close proximity to Kyushu's major tourist attractions, including the hot springs, Mount Aso (Japan's largest caldera), Usa Jingu (8th century shrine), the Kunisaki temples.
Port Beppu cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Beppu, Japan. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|8 May, 2020|
- Cruise Industry
Mitsubishi Shipbuilding (subsidiary of MHI-Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) signed a contract with MOL (Mitsui O.S.K. Lines) to build two LNG-powered...December 28, 2019
- show more news