Doha is the largest port and the capital of Qatar. The city has population of around 1,4 million and covers a total area of 132 km2 (51 ml2). It is located on the Persian Gulf, and is the country's fastest growing city, with more than half of the nation's population living in Doha City or in the surrounding suburbs.
Doha was established in the 1820s as Al Bidda's offshoot. In 1971 it was officially declared as country's capital, after Qatar gained independence. As Qatar's commercial capital and one of the unanticipated financial centers in the Middle East, the city of Doha is considered a world city by Globalization & World Cities Research Network. It accommodates an Education City area devoted to education and research.
Doha hosted the first ministerial-level meeting of Doha Development Round of World Trade Organization negotiations. The city was also selected as host of a number of sporting events, such as the 2006 Asian Games, 2011 Pan Arab Games and most of the games at 2011 AFC Asian Cup. The 20th World Petroleum Conference was held in Doha in December 2011. Additionally, the city was the host of the 2012 UNFCCC Climate Negotiations. It is also set to host a large number of venues for 2022 FIFA World Cup.
In May 2015, the city of Doha was officially recognized as one of the New 7 Wonders Cities along with Beirut, Durban, Havana, Kuala Lumpur, La Paz and Vigan.
Doha is Qatar's economic centre. The city shelters the headquarters of a wealth of domestic and international organizations, such as Qatar's largest oil and gas companies RasGas, Qatargas and Qatar Petroleum. The economy of Doha is built primarily on the revenue from its natural gas and oil industries.
Qatar's cruising season is during winter (October through April). The port is managed by Qatar Tourism Authority.
- During season 2017-2018, TUI Cruises (German ship operator) visited Doha 7 times, bringing around 17,500 tourists to Qatar. The same season was a record-breaker - with about 65,000 cruise tourists to Qatar, or an increase of over 39% (over 2016). Port Doha was visited by a total of 22 cruise vessels plus 1 mega-yacht. The port received 5 maiden calls (MSC Splendida, Mein Schiff 5, Crystal Serenity, Crystal Symphony, Europa 2). Data showed 86% disembarking passengers, of whom 53% booked city tours and 18% booked desert safaris.
- The main factor for the port's cruising business growth were the 2016-introduced free 96-hours transit visas for tourists. The port's largest visiting cruise liners so far are MSC Splendida (MSC) and Mein Schiff 5 (TUI). In 2017, Splendida (max capacity 3900 passengers) replaced MSC Fantasia.
- For season 2018-2019 were booked 43 ships (of which 10 with maiden port calls) with expected over 140,000 cruise tourists (passengers and crew). The season has five 2-ship days.
- During season 2019-2020, Qatar cruise port expects nearly 200,000 visitors and targets an annual volume of 0,5 million passengers by the year 2026.
- Port Doha plans a redevelopment project with budget of around QR 2 billion (Qatari Riyals, around around USD 550 million).
Doha cruise terminal
Before the inauguration of Qatar’s new cruise port Doha, large-sized cruise ships docked at the Hamad Port (cargo port). Doha Port is located off Doha Corniche - several kilometers long waterfront promenade along Doha Bay. Before the redevelopment, the largest cruise ships able to dock at Doha Port were with LOA length under 250 m (820 ft).
Due to the increasing number of cruise ship tourists, Qatar's Tourism Authority, Ports Management Company and Ministry of Interior took measures to facilitate the passengers' disembarkation process and entry procedures.
Following an investment in new security technologies and close collaboration with cruise ship operators, passenger processing / disembarkation time was reduced to just several minutes.
As part of the new process, cruise ship passenger and crew passport details are shared with Qatar's immigration office 48 hours before the ship's arrival in the country. This allows cruise tourists to be cleared for entry before the ship docks in port.
Due to the short port stay duration (around 8 hours), passengers and crew are eligible for transit visas (free 96-hour visas), which further eases the entry process. In 2017, Port Doha was visited by its largest cruise vessel so far - MSC Splendida. The ship docked in Doha on December 20, bringing over 3900 passengers and 1400 crew.
Port Doha cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Doha, Qatar. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|2 October, 2018|
The Doha cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Doha, Qatar.
If you lose the Doha location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.