Honolulu is Hawaii's largest seaport and the state's capital city located on Oahu Island's southern coast. The city is USA's westernmost and southernmost, with population around 340,000 (metro over 950,000). It is served by the Honolulu International Airport, which is also the state's principal airport with regularly scheduled both domestic and international flights. The smaller airport Kalaeloa is a commuter airport mainly used by air taxis, general and locally based US military aircraft.
The port (officially "Honolulu Harbor") has a sheltered deepwater harbour waterway and handles over 11 million cargo tons per year. This includes over 80% of Hawaii's imported goods.
Waikiki Beach is one of the city's neighborhoods and Hawaii's largest tourist district. This beachfront area is lined up with hotels, shops, top-rated nightlife venues, public places (Kapiolani Park, Fort DeRussy Military Reservation, Duke Paoa Kahanamoku Lagoon, Kuhio Beach Park). here is also the Ala Wai Harbor - Hawaii's largest yacht marina.
Honolulu (and Hawaii in general) enjoys a rapid economic and tourism growth. The air travel alone brings around 8 million visitors annually. Of those, over 60% enter the islands via Honolulu International Airport. Tourism industry contributes with around USD 10 billion annually. Honolulu is Hawaii's main financial and business center. Here are based Bank of Hawaii, Central Pacific Bank, First Hawaiian Bank.
Honolulu is the turnaround port for the NCL ship Pride of America. The following itinerary map shows the ports of call and the names of the Hawaiian islands visited along the route.
The following table shows the ship's ports of call with arrival/departure times (port stays). This standard 7-night roundtrip Honolulu itinerary includes overnights on Kauai and Maui, as well as afternoon cruising of Napali Coast.
|Departing from||Honolulu, Hawaii|
|08:00 - 18:00||Kahului, Maui Island, Hawaii|
|08:00 - 18:00||Hilo, Hawaii Island|
|07:00 - 17:00||Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island|
|10:00 - 14:00||Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island, Hawaii|
|Arriving in||Honolulu, Hawaii|
Port Honolulu's cargo terminal is located on Sand Island. Terminal's operator is Matson Inc - 1882-founded (as Matson Navigation Company) stock-listed shipping company that provides regularly-scheduled Hawaiian Islands transhipping services. In April 2019, the company received 3x new gantry cranes (weight 1290 tons each). By lifting capacity (65 tons) these are Hawaii's biggest ship-to-shore cranes. The new Japanese container cranes (by Mitsui E&S Group) and other terminal upgrades were part of company's USD 60 million budget for terminal expansion and modernization.
Honolulu cruise terminal
The cruise port is located between Waikiki Beach and Honolulu International Airport. The distance from the terminal to Waikiki Beach is 3 ml (5 km) and to the airport - 6 ml (10 km). The cruise terminal complex is located next to the lighthouse Aloha Tower (at Pier 9 in the harbor).
- Oahu Dock has 2 dedicated cruise terminals – "Honolulu Cruise Terminal" and "Terminal Pier 2".
- The Honolulu terminal has 2 ship berths - Pier 10, and Pier 11.
- Terminal Pier 2 is an exclusive dock for NCL Norwegian. Here docks the company's Hawaii-based cruise ship Pride of America. Pier 2 is located close (approx 1200 ft / 400 m) to the south of Honolulu Cruise Terminal.
- All terminals offer modern passenger facilities and amenities, including luggage storage (nominal fee applies).
Honolulu cruise terminals are easily reached by taxi or Oahu Island's public transportation. There are 4 trolley lines covering all the island's major directions. From the cruise port, the International Airport is approx 10-15 minutes by car. The Wiki Wiki Shuttle is a complimentary airport bus service available at the International Airport. Shuttle buses operate between 5 AM and 10 PM.
Besides being a fully operational lighthouse, the Aloha Tower is also a leisure complex, with restaurants, bars and shops. near the tower is located the Hawaii Maritime Center. However, this museum is currently closed for the public.
Honolulu tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
Oahu is a very interesting place to visit. It will charm you, excite you and won’t leave you disappointed. It has to offer a lot to the cautious as well as the adventurous guests.
- Waikiki Beach: spend unforgettable time at this colorful place, explore the shore and the Hanauma Bay. The contiguous collection of beautiful beaches is along the Waikiki shoreline and it is two miles long. Skydive at Mokuleia or just relax at the sunny beach.
- Bishop Museum: Pacific’s principal museum.
- Plantation Village: discover great collection of 30 plantation homes, replicas and originals.
- Atlantis Submarine Adventures and the Children’s Discovery Center: a great family place, just across the Kaka‘ako Waterfront Park.
- Aloha Tower: the first attraction you will see, located just at the Honolulu cruise port terminal. Visit the marketplace complex with its shops, local goods stores and boutiques.
- Pearl Harbor: here you will find three historical landmarks. USS Arizona Memorial honors the December 7, 1941 victims and it is built right above the sunk ship. Battleship Missouri Memorial will meet you with “Mighty Mo” or USS Missouri. Visit USS Bowfin Submarine and Museum and take a look at renovated submarine from the World War II.
- Polynesian Cultural Center: located at the North Shore, you will have an hour from the Honolulu cruise port terminal. The leading paid attraction is a 42 acres area with native experience. It offers lu‘au, hula show and a canoe pageant.
- Cruise Industry
In early 2022, DCL-Disney Cruise Line returns to Hawaii and other tropical destinations with 10-night Hawaiian Islands voyages and a variety of...October 16, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Come November 1, larger cruise ships could return to Hawaii’s waters. However, it is probably not going to be smooth sailing at first for the...October 6, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Hawaii USA may not see any cruise ship calls until the second half of 2021, according to a report by Hawaii’s Department of Business...May 29, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Hawaii's Department of Transportation reported that the cruise ship Pacific Princess was scheduled to arrive at Honolulu Harbor on Tuesday, May...May 5, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Another cruise ship reached Honolulu Harbor Monday morning, April 13, and 4 passengers (2 couples, Oahu residents) were disembarked. According to...April 13, 2020
Six crew members on Pride of America docked at Honolulu Harbor (Oahu Island, Hawaii) tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19), and two are...April 9, 2020
DCL-Disney Cruise Line suspended all new departures through April 28 but up until yesterday, Disney Wonder had Alaskan cruises scheduled to depart...April 7, 2020
The Hawaii Department of Transportation Harbors Division notified the public that additional cruise ships were planning to enter Honolulu Harbor for...March 25, 2020
The nearly 1,700 passengers on Norwegian Jewel began disembarking on Monday, March 23, at Honolulu Harbor, despite the 30-day state pause on cruise...March 23, 2020
Two cruise liners are due to dock at Honolulu Harbor Hawaii at the end of the week but their passengers will not be allowed to disembark. Both...March 19, 2020
- show more news