Mantes-la-Jolie (Mantes) is a Seine River cruise port and town in Yvelines (Ile-de-France region, north-central France). The town is located in the western suburbs of Paris (approx 48 km (30 ml) from downtown Paris) and has population around 43,000.
Originally named Mantes-sur-Seine, the town merged with Gassicourt in 1930 to form Mantes-Gassicourt. On August 19, 1944, Mantes was the landing site of the first Allied bridgehead across Seine (US 3rd Army). On May 7, 1953, Mantes-Gassicourt was renamed to Mantes-la-Jolie ("Mantes the pretty").
Le Val-Fourre (district's largest housing project) is extremely ghettoized and dominated by immigrants from Maghreb (Northwest Africa), the majority of them Moroccan. This is town's newest district built in the 1960s -70s, housing around 28,000 people.
Town's main monument is Notre-Dame - 12th century church. Most of the town was burned to the ground in 1087 by William the Conqueror (1028-1087, England's first Norman king). Modern bridges link Mantes with Limay (on the river's other bank). Local economy is based on small businesses supporting concrete and chemical processing industries. Mantes is historically major center of musical instrument manufacturing, wit hthe Buffet-Crampon woodwind factory based here.
Port Mantes-la-Jolie cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Mantes-la-Jolie, France. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|31 March, 2021|
|MS Jane Austen|