Review of Utopia Of The Seas deck 15 (Lido-Pools-Waterslides)
The fore-located Solarium (upper level 2 of 2) is the ship’s adults-only relaxation complex spanning 2 decks and covered by a glass rooftop. The complex features its own cafe/bistro, bar, thalassotherapy pool (round-shaped, tiered, with fountains and jets), 4x large Jacuzzis (outdoor whirlpool hot tubs), 1x round-shaped swimming pool, sunbathing area (deckchairs, sun loungers, daybeds, live plants for decoration), 2x bridge wings (outdoor viewing areas extending over the ship's both edges). The adults' retreat is served with drinks by the Solarium Bar (a light-fare cafe). There is a 24-hour beverage station for complimentary drinks (coffee, tea, iced tea, flavored waters).
Solarium Bistro (menu, 128 seats) is a complimentary cafe restaurant serving the adults deck with fresh juices and light-fare food. The Bistro offers buffet-style Breakfast (between 8-11 am /yogurt, oatmeal, granola, grain muffins, fresh fruits, cold meats) and Lunch (12-3 pm). The lunch menu has appetizers (Yellowfin Tuna Sashimi, Mexican Shrimp Bowl, Mediterranean Ratatouille, Mushroom Risotto, Sea Scallops & Whitefish Ceviche), soups (with chicken, seafood, vegetarian), salads (vegetarian), entrees (pasta, salmon, tuna, fish filet, duck, lamb loin, bison tenderloin, pork filet, veal scaloppini), sides, fruits, desserts (all are low-fat, no-sugar-added). The menu also has a list of red and white wines (at extra charge /by the glass and bottle).
"Hooked Seafood" is a New England-style specialty seafood restaurant (open for lunch and dinner) located in the Solarium complex. It offers fresh seafood and also has a cantilevered raw bar (The Vue Bar) where raw shucked oysters and fresh crab claws can be ordered. Hooked Seafood restaurant's menu has selection of Appetizers (Fried Calamari, Shrimp Cocktail, Mussels, Crab Cakes, Baked Seafood Dip), Soups and Salads (New England Clam Chowder, House Salad, Cesar Salad), Entrees (grilled, fried or blackened fresh fish / Halibut, Cod, Salmon, Bass, also Lobster Rolls, Hooked Fish Fry, and Steak & Jumbo Shrimp), Sides (Coleslaw, Fries, Lobster Mac-and-Cheese, Seasonal Vegetables), Oyster Sampler (1.2 dozen for two), Premium Shellfish (at market price - Stone Crab Claws, Alaskan King Crab Legs, Whole Empress Crab, Whole Maine Lobster, also Seafood Tower / clams, mussels, oysters, shrimp, lobster, crab claws). As Desserts, at "Hooked Seafood" are offered Boston Cream Pie, Blueberry Cobbler, Whoopie Pie, and Bread Pudding. Upon request, waiters also provide gluten- and lactose-free, as well as vegetarian options.
The cruise ship’s pool deck area (divided into 4 quadrants) has a total of 11 large whirlpools (incl 2 double /cantilevered, infinity-type), 3 swimming pools (Main, Beach, Sports), sundeck areas (for sunbathing and relaxation). "The Lime & Coconut" (2-deck poolside/open-air bar lounge/decks 15-16) offers drinks and refreshments (frozens, soda, beer/buckets, wine, cocktails). Main Pool (freshwater) has tiered seating on one side. Beach Pool (saltwater) has a sloped entry and shaded seating/umbrellas. The Beach Pool is also the exit for the Perfect Storm slides. the swimming pool Both pool areas are connected via the Sky Walk bridge (deck 16). Sports Pool (freshwater) is reserved for lap swimming (morning) and for water sports (afternoon /volleyball, aerobics). The pool deck’s portside section is a smoking-allowed area.
Waterslides Exit - deck 15’s Beach Pool is the exit level for The Perfect Storm slides (entrance level on deck 18). Here ends also the tallest waterslide at sea – which is named “Ultimate Abyss” (10 decks high, 150 ft / 46 m above sea level, length 216 ft / 66 m, water speed 9 mph / 14 kph). Ultimate Abyss is a spiraling waterslide with 2 separate cylinders (symmetric to each other, each tube is 2,6 ft / 0,8 m in diameter) made of stainless steel and colored in purple. This is a vertical drop slide located in the Sports Zone’s pool (aft-ship location). The experience starts with a walk across a plank into the jaws of an anglerfish and boarding one of the specially-designed mats. Slide mats are colored in black, each with an opening for the feet and a strap to hold on to. Follows the vertical drop (27-degree) some 92 ft / 28 m down to the Boardwalk. The average sliding time (from the top to the bottom) is 12-13 sec. The slide also features around 300 LED lights, special sound effects and various graffiti artworks. There are 3 other water slides (their complex is named “Perfect Storm”, entry-level deck 18). These are the spiraling race-slides “Cyclone” and “Typhoon” (colored, respectively, in yellow and blue), and the “Supercell” (colored in yellow and green).
Sea Trek Shop (by the aft-portside elevators) sells professional water sports gear (diving and snorkeling equipment), some souvenirs and sun-related products. Here passengers can sign up for basic scuba diving classes and get PADI qualifications.
Breeze Shop (by the aft-starboard elevators) sells poolwear/swimwear, sunglasses, books, crossword puzzles.
“Splashaway Bay” is an interactive aqua park (fresh-water outdoor playground) designed for toddlers and small children. It has 1 “vortex” wave pool (round-shaped), 1 splash pool for babies (swim diapers allowed), 1 lazy-river pool, 2 mini slides (1 open, 1 tubed), 1 whirlpool, 1 giant drench bucket. The splash zone is fitted with colorful sculptures, umbrella jets, fountains, waterfalls, water cannons, gazers, sprinklers, outdoor playground with a huge jungle-gym (multi-platform), sunbathing area with loungers and kid-size deckchairs. Near the water park are located self-service ice-cream vending machines (open 10 am - 6 pm). Nightly, the kids' park transforms into a garden.
Youth Zone (neighborhood, lower level 1 of 3) is a teenagers-dedicated complex (for children 12-17 yo) consisting of Fuel (disco), The Living Room (club lounge), Challengers (video arcade), Mimi Bites (eatery) and The Back Deck (outdoor sundeck /hangout area). Teen facilities are complimentary and supervised by dedicated staff. Teens are allowed to come and go as they please. Curfew hour is 1 am – unless accompanied by a parent/guardian. Teens (led by a staff member) can dine at the Windjammer buffet instead of with their parents. Royal Caribbean doesn’t offer teen-only shore excursions.
- The Living Room lounge has PlayStations and Nintendo Wii gaming consoles (teens can bring their own games), large HDTV (for movies and gaming). Among the scheduled activities are treasure hunts, talent shows, arts-crafts, video gaming tournaments, sports competitions, workshops/classes, trivia sessions, karaoke contests, themed parties, movie nights, planned visits to sports facilities (FlowRider, Sports Pool, Ice Skating Rink, Rock Climbing Wall).
- Fuel Teen Disco is a nightclub for teenagers (15-17 yo) with dance floor, DJ booth, themed dance parties, daily Scratch DJ Academy (DJ classes). The teen’s club will share space with the RCI’s new “Escape the Rubicon” (interactive escape-the-room games by Puzzle Break, via partnership with ShowFX Inc). For 60-90 min, participants (6-12 players) are locked in the room. They must work together to solve puzzles, find hidden clues and eventually to find the key to escape the room.
- The access to the teen facilities is from Deck 16.
The aft-located Windjammer Marketplace is a complimentary (self-service) Lido buffet restaurant comprised of multiple different-cuisine food stations. Among those are cold/warm salads, soups, fresh panini (sandwiches), vegetarian dishes, fast-food (pizza, pasta, hot-dogs, burgers, french fries), cooked vegetables, sauces and toppings, breads, seafood (incl sushi), egg station (breakfast only, made-to-order omelets and eggs), grill (lunch only, barbecue/carvery meats, cooked-to-order steaks), stir-fries (made-to-order), themed-cuisine specialties, fresh fruits, desserts (incl healthy choices), a separate gluten-free station. On themed evenings are offered Mexican, Indian, Asian and other international cuisine specialties. The lido buffet also has 24-hour operational beverage stations with complimentary drinks (milk, coffee, tea, instant hot chocolate, flavored waters, also juices at breakfast). Windjammer buffet is open for Breakfast (6:30-11 am), Lunch (11 am - 3:30 pm), Afternoon Tea/Snacks (4-5 pm) and Dinner (between 5:30-9 pm). Windjammer’s complimentary “sushi stations” are open for dinner only (at 6:30 pm). Designated chefs continuously prepare fresh sushi (cooked rolls variations, mostly of eel and tuna). There are no nigirizushi or sashimi (with raw meat) or made-to-order items.
The Mason Jar ("The Mason Jar Southern Restaurant and Bar"/adjacent to Windjammer) is a fleet-first specialty bar-restaurant offering Southern American cuisine and live music performances.
- Mason Jar Bar (adjacent to Mason Jar Restaurant) is furnished with upholstered rocker recliners and a large porch swing. Mason Jar Bar has its own country music band of three musicians performing in the evenings.
- The Mason Jar Restaurant is reservations-only, farmhouse-style decorated (artworks, checkered napkins, pillows) and with floor-ceiling windows.
- The a-la-carte menu includes comfort food specialties (for brunch, dinner, and late-night dining), like fresh-baked buttermilk biscuits, jalapeno cornbread (cajun and honey butter), appetizers (Pimento Cheese, Lobster-and-Crawfish Gumbo, Smoky Deviled Eggs, Fried Green Tomatoes, Blueberry Cakes, Crab Beignets/with lump crab dip-shrimp-grits, Caesar Salad, Charred Watermelon Salad), main dishes (Shrimp-and-Grits, Cajun Blackened Catfish, Classic Chicken Pot Pie, Classic Shrimp Po Boy Sandwich, Crispy Chicken Sandwich, Southern American Burger), meat dishes served with BBQ sauces (St Louis-Style Ribs, Beef Brisket, Granny's Fried Chicken), side dishes (Coleslaw, Sweet Potato Fries, Mashed Potatoes, Mac-and-Cheese, Collard Greens), desserts (cinnamon rolls, pies, cakes), as well as various beverages (including spiked drinks, American brand whiskeys and bourbons).
- The Brunch Menu has 3x sections - Eggs N’ More (Fried Chicken & Waffles, Smoky Deviled Eggs, Spinach & Pimento Cheese Omelet, Salmon-Avocado Toast, Southern Breakfast, Breakfast Biscuits, Blueberry Cakes, Charred Watermelon Salad), Somethin’ Sweet (Peanut Buttery Banana Oats, Cinnamon Roll, Stuffed French Toast, Red Velvet Pancakes), Handhelds (Crispy Chicken Sandwich, Southern Burger, Classic Louisiana Shrimp Po Boy Sandwich), plus 2x appetizers (Pimento Cheese, Saltines and Jalapeno Cornbread).
- The Dinner Menu also has 3x sections - Lil’ Plates (Pimento Cheese, Lobster & Crawfish Gumbo, Smoky Deviled Eggs, Fried Green Tomatoes, Blueberry Cakes, Crab Beignets, Caesar Salad, Grilled Watermelon Salad), Hearty Plates (Shrimp & Grits, Cajun Blackened Catfish, Chicken Pot Pie, Classic Po Boy Shrimp Sandwich, Crispy Chicken Sandwich, Southern Burger), Meat and Two Fixin’s (choose your meat plus two sides/St Louis-Style Ribs, Beef Brisket, Fried Chicken), plus 2x appetizers (jalapeño cornbread, buttermilk biscuits) and 6x sides (Coleslaw, Collard Greens, Sweet Potato Fries, Cajun French Fries, Mashed Potatoes, Mac & Cheese).
- Desserts include Cherry Pie, Bread Pudding, Chocolate Pecan Pie, Deep-Fried Oreos, Chocolate-Dipped Gone Bananas, ice cream.
- Per person pricing/cover charges are US$25 (Brunch) and US$40 (Dinner), children 6-12 dine for US$11, kids under 6 dine for free.
- The Late-Night Menu (served after 9 PM) has various items priced between $3-9, including Fried Green Tomatoes, Blue Crab Beignets, Crispy Fried Chicken Sandwich.
- The Mason Jar Bar menu lists the following cocktails - Mississippi Moonlight (with Ole Smoky Blackberry Moonshine) and the bourbon-based Southern Belle, Mint Julep, The Stubborn Mule, Far From Manhattan, No Joke, Smoke & Coke, Pretty as a Peach Tea, and PB&J Old Fashioned (bourbon and whiskey), as well as milkshakes and floats (non-alcoholic also are available).
Specialty Dining/Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen Restaurant (menu) serves simple but tasty Italian food. Adjacent is Giovanni’s Wine Bar (ex Vintages Wine Bar/redesigned).
- This is a trattoria-type specialty restaurant (at surcharge per person) open for Lunch (12-1:30 pm) and Dinner (6-9:30 pm).
- The decor is marked by simple furniture and large HDTVs on the walls (also showing how chef Giovanni Filippone cooks his food). Waiters are dressed in white shirts and jeans.
- The menu has traditional Italian cuisine dishes - spaghetti, pizzas, antipasti, lasagna, bruschetta, eggplant parmigiana, garlic bread. Hand-made pasta is prepared here each day. The menu also has 2 wooden “antipasti planks” – with either cured meats and cheeses or seasonal chargrilled vegetables. There are also seafood dishes, gourmet burgers and desserts. On request, guests can enjoy the old-fashion “View Finder” (usually given to kids dining here) to see their food in 3D pics.
Utopia Playscape (aft-starboard, lower level 1 of 2) is an interactive indoor-outdoor playground for kids. The facility is on two decks (15-16) and fitted with a mini-golf, slides, climbing walls, rope nets, jungle gyms, puzzles, various games, a touch-activated interactive mural.
On Deck 15 are installed three 24-hour, self-service vending machines (by Pharmabox Franchise). They allow purchasing of select merchandise, including Tech Shop (electronics, gadgets, batteries, headphones, walkie-talkies, Nintendo 3DS gaming consoles), Splash Store (sunscreens, skincare products, swim accessories) and Health Essentials Store (toiletries, medicines).