27 °F / -2 °C
Dutch Harbor is a famous port town located on Amaknak Island, Unalaska, Alaska. Dutch Harbor port is the USA's largest fisheries port by volume caught. Dutch Harbor lies within the Unalaska city limits, connected to Unalaska by a bridge. During WWII, the Battle of Dutch Harbor took place here (in June 1942), as one of the few US territoies bombed by the Japanese.
Dutch Harbor is home of a major commercial fishing industry, ranked as top fishing port with over a billion USD being transferred each year. Enormous harvests of cod and pollock in the Bering Sea are part of it. Bering Sea features a continental shelf which is one of the world's largest and supports an abundant ecosystem. Dutch Harbor has turned into a full service port (including for cruise ships). It is also the harbor featured in Discovery Channel reality TV series "Deadliest Catch".
Unalaska Island is 2nd-largest of the Alaskan Aleutian Islands (in the Fox Islands group). The island has length of 128 km (80 ml), width of 56 km (35 ml), total area of 2720 km2 (1051 ml2) and population of around 4,500. The island's irregular coastline features innumerable peninsulas and inlets. The largest bays and Beaver Inlet, Makushin Bay and Unalaska Bay. The island's rugged terrain is covered with mountains. Its highest elevation is 5906 ft (1800 m).
- The regional native corporation is known as Ounalashka Corporation.
- The island was inhabited by the Aleut (Unangan) people for thousands of years. Russians arrived here in 1759 and started the fur trade.
- The city of Unalaska (population around 4,500) is the largest of the Aleutian Islands. It is located on the island's north coast neighboring the Amaknak Island.
- Almost all of the Unalaska's port facilities are located on Amaknak Island (aka Dutch Harbor).
- Amaknak Island is home to almost 60% of the Unalaska city's population.
Dutch Harbor Alaska was included as port of call in the Northwest Passage cruises of the following passenger ships:
- Crystal Serenity - 32-days itinerary from Seward Alaska to NYC New York (2016 - August 16 to September 16)
- Crystal Serenity - 32-days itinerary 32-days Seward to New York City (2017 - August 15 to September 15)
- Seven Seas Navigator - 63-days itinerary from Miami Florida to Montreal Quebec (2017 - June 17 to August 18)
- Note: All Northwest Passage ship transits are assisted by a Canadian icebreaker or other vessel with an ice-strengthened hull.
Dutch Harbor cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Unalaska Island dock (anchor) at Unalaska - port town on the northern coast (across Amaknak Island). However, most cruise ships operating in this area dock at Dutch Harbor (on the smaller Amaknak Island to the north).
Port Dutch Harbor cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Dutch Harbor, Unalaska Island. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|13 May, 2020|
|26 May, 2020|
|27 May, 2020|
- Cruise Industry
The Alaska Marine Highway System has no scheduled sailings past October 1, 2019, amid funding uncertainty in the budget proposal of Alaska Government...February 27, 2019
- Cruise Industry
A 2,000-passenger cruise liner was supposed to visit Unalaska on Friday, September 15, but instead decided to sail to Sitka. Despite...September 18, 2017
- show more news