71 °F / 22 °C
Port Mobile Alabama USA is Alabama state's only seaport. It is located on Mobile Bay (Gulf of Mexico's inlet) which is formed by Fort Morgan Peninsula (on the east) and Dauphin Island (on the west). The city covers an area of approx 413 km2 (159 ml2) and has population around 195,000 (metro around 415,000).
Among the city's most popular tourist attractions are Bellingrath Gardens and Home, antebellum home Oakleigh Mansion, Cox-Deasy Cottage Museum and Battleship USS Alabama. Ft.Conde is a partial replica of an original 18th century French fort. Fort Gaines is the battle site of the famed Battle of the Bay in August 1864. Mobile is the birthplace of nation's Mardi Gras, known as America's Family Mardi Gras.
Wildlife fans should visit Audubon Bird Sanctuary on Dauphin Island. Another fresh idea is boat touring Mobile Bay's estuary, home to over 250 species of birds, 230 species of fish and wildlife, including black bears, alligators, bald eagles, osprey.
Port Mobile Alabama
Port Mobile is a deepwater seaport (Alabama's only one) ranked in 2010 as USA's 12th largest cargo port by tonnage (shipping trade volume over 55,7 million tons). The port is along Mobile River - where the river empties into the bay.
- The port has deep-water terminals which all have direct access to Alabama's inland and intracoastal waterways. These waterways also serve USA's Great Lakes, and the rivers Ohio and Tennessee (via Tenn-Tom / Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway with length 377 km / 234 ml).
- The port and all its facilities are owned and managed by Alabama State Port Authority. All public terminals can handle various types of cargo ships (including container / boxships, bulk and break bulk carriers, Ro-Ro ships (roll-on / roll-off). The port also has private bulk terminal operators. All container, general cargo and bulk cargo terminals have dirrect access to 2 US interstate railway systems plus 5 "Class I" US railroads. The CG Railway (terminal railroad) operates from the Mobile Alabama port a rail ferry service to Coatzacoalcos (Mexico).
- Mobile is USA's largest seaport for handling break bulk forest products.
- The port's McDuffie Terminal is among USA's largest coal terminals. It is also the country's largest import coal terminal. Mobile AL was ranked USA's 4th largest coal export port for 2012, with the majority of the exports being shipped to Europe and South America.
- In the period 2010-2015, the port invested over USD 0,5 billion in redevelopment projects, including port infrastructure improvements, land acquisitions, warehousing, constructing new rail depots and inter-modal yards, also improvements and enhancements of cargo terminals (serving oil tankers and gas carriers) and cargo shipping vessels (containerized, bulk, break bulk). A new rail ferry terminal and a new container terminal were also built. A new steel terminal was also built to serve the Calvert Alabama's stainless and carbon steel processing facility. The McDuffie Coal Terminal was expanded.
- On April 20, 2017, APM Terminals announced that THE Alliance (container shipping companies group) launches in May 2017 the AL4 trade route between Port Mobile and ports in Northern Europe. The AL4 route is a weekly container vessel service and links the ports Mobile AL, Southampton England, Antwerp Belgium, Bremerhaven Germany, Le Havre (Paris France), Veracruz Mexico, Altamira Mexico, Houston TX, NOLA New Orleans, Mobile AL. APM Terminals Mobile opened in 2008, and reported a record year in 2016 (handling 277,307 TEUs / containers).
Mobile cruise port
Port Mobile ceased cruise shipping operations in October 2011, when Carnival Cruise Line (homeporting vessels here since 2004) relocated Carnival Elation and stopped using the port, mainly due to rising fuel costs. In February 2013, Carnival Triumph was stranded at sea for 4 days. Then the port opened its cruise dock for the disabled vessel, where its nearly 4000 passengers were disembarked.
- In the end of September 2015, the city promised to put up USD 200,000 per quarter (USD 0,8 million per year) for marketing. The marketing fund was established with the city's money from parking revenue and used for marketing cruises leaving from Mobile. It was estimated that from parking fees, terminal / port fees and passenger charges, the city will have an annual profit nearly USD 2 million on cruise ship operations. It was laso announced that starting November 2016, Carnival Fantasy will offer a year-long 4-day and 5-day cruise schedule to Mexico leaving roundtrip from "Mobile Cruise Terminal".
- In September-October 2016, the port invested USD 4 million in new TSA equipment (security and baggage screening machines) installed on the terminal's 2nd floor.
- On November 10, 2015, Carnival Fantasy started its homeport / turanround service to Mexico. The 4-day itinerary departs Thursdays and visits Cozumel. The 5-day itineraries depart Mondays and Saturdays, visiting Cozumel and Costa Maya or Progreso.
- In November 2016, Carnival Corporation signed a 13-month contract (until December 2017) with Port Mobile AL. As all 2017 cruises were booked within a month, Carnival allowed travel agents to book itineraries out of Mobile into April 2019.
- In August 2017, Carnival signed an 1-year contract extension with the port (through December 2019).
- Since 2018, Carnival offers 7-day roundtrip departures from Mobile AL to destinations no longer limited to Caribbean Mexico. On April 25, 2017, the company officially announced that Carnival Fantasy will offer new itineraries with ports of call in Bahamas, Key West Florida, Grand Cayman Island, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama Canal. The new itineraries will be longer than the ship's usual 4- and 5-night roundtrips to Mexico.
Mobile cruise terminal
Mobile Alabama Cruise Terminal is a 66,000 ft2 (6,130 m2) sized cruise ship facility with top-notch security, dedicated cruise parking area and covered lanes serving passenger pickup / drop off vehicles. The cruise ship terminal building is located in downtown Mobile City, in close proximity to hotels and restaurants.
The passenger terminal is just 0,5 ml (800 m) from Interstate 10 (USA's 4th longest highway) and just 6 ml (10 km) from the junction of Interstate 65 and Interstate 10.
Free shuttle bus service is offered between the cruise terminal and offsite parking lots at Mobile Civic Center.
The cruise terminal's parking allows pre-pay online payments (have a picture of the car's license plate). On-site payments can be done at kiosks located in the lift lobbies on each of the terminal's floors, and also at the offsite parking lots (at Mobile Civic Center). Know that these kiosks don't accept in cash bills larger than USD 50.
The cruise port's Premium Parking app also allows online payments. The parking services are also assisted via 24 hour phone line (1-844 236-2011).
Parking rates vary by parking period and vehicle size (car, minivan, truck, SUV, motorcycle). Height restricted vehicles are directed to an offsite parking lot (at Mobile Civic Center). All oversized vehicles are also directed to an offsite parking lot (at Mobile Civic Center).
- Rates for regular sized vehicles are USD 72 (4-day parking), USD 90 (5-day parking) and USD 126 (7-day parking).
- Rates for oversized vehicles (RVs / Campers) are USD 144 (4-day parking), USD 180 (5-day parking) and USD 252 (7-day parking).
- Rates for busses are USD 216 (4-day parking), USD 270 (5-day parking) and USD 378 (7-day parking).
Port Mobile cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Mobile, Alabama. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|4 May, 2019|
|9 May, 2019|
|13 May, 2019|
|18 May, 2019|
|23 May, 2019|
|27 May, 2019|
The Mobile cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Mobile, Alabama.
If you lose the Mobile location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
Alabama's only cruise ship will go on docking at Port Mobile. According to Mayor Sandy Stimpson, the port city had extended the contract...November 29, 2018
Carnival Fantasy guests were docked for hours at Port Mobile on Thursday due to propulsion issues. Hundreds of passengers decided to get off...April 15, 2017
- show more news