Sorrento is a port city overlooking the Bay of Naples, Southern Italy. The city covers a total area of approx 9 km2 (3 ml2) and has a population of around 16,550 inhabitants (2007 census). It is a popular tourist destination and can be reached easily from Pompeii and Naples as it is located at the south-eastern end of Circumvesuviana rail line. Sorrentine Peninsula features views of Naples, Vesuvius and Capri. Amalfi Drive, connecting Amalfi and Sorrento, is a narrow road which threads along the high cliffs above Tyrrhenian Sea.
- Hydrofoils and ferries connect the town to Amalfi, Capri, Ischia, Naples and Positano. Sorrento's luxury hotels and unique sea cliffs have attracted celebrities like Luciano Pavarotti and Enrico Caruso.
- Sorrento is the proud producer of Limoncello, a digestif made from alcohol, water, lemon rinds and sugar. Other agricultural production includes wine, nuts, olives and citrus fruit.
- In 1861 the city was officially annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. It increased its status of a renowned tourist destination, a trend that continued in 20th Century. Famous people who visited Sorrento include Lord Byron, Goethe, Henrik Ibsen, Keats and Walter Scott.
- Sorrento is served by hydrofoil or ferry from Capri or Naples, as well as by boat services from the ports of Bay of Naples and Sorrentine Peninsula. Naples is served by a couple of ports, Molo Beverello and Mergellina.
- Main sights in Sorrento include Marina Grande (port of Sorrento), Marina Piccola (small port of Sorrento), Amalfi Coast, Park of Villa communale (featuring a view of the Gulf of Naples with volcano Vesuvius), central place Piazza Tasso, Museo della tarsia lignea, Museum Correale, Via San Cesareo (main shopping street), Cathedral of Sorrento, Monastery of St. Francesco, Church of Santi Felice e Baccolo, Roman ruins at Punta del Capo.
- Cruise Industry
The ultra-premium travel company Silversea Cruises introduced a S.A.L.T.-inspired festive feast to showcase 3 of the most appetising culinary...December 28, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Crystal Cruises announced 10 new sailings added to its Crystal Getaways' collection. Crystal Getaways are shortened versions of longer...November 29, 2019
- show more news