Puerto Costa Maya is Caribbean Mexico's second largest cruise port - after Cozumel. This is also one of the country's most popular tourist regions located in Quintana Roo state. This municipality is near the state's capital city - Chetumal, located on the border with Belize.
The region is generally undeveloped but has been rapidly growing after construction of a large pier accommodating cruise ships. Costa Maya includes a pair of small villages, Xcalak and Mahahual, and extends in the south to the southern border of Sian Ka'an in the north, approximately 100 km (62 miles). The fishing village of Mahahual is just 3 kilometers (1.9 miles) away of Costa Maya and cruise ships are easily seen from the village. Mahahual features grass thatched palapas, soft sand beaches, and a coral reef called Banco Chinchorro, as well as restaurants, bars and shops. A new development named New Mahahual has been created inland from the port.
The port of Costa Maya has a modern shopping mall. The center boasts a central plaza and saltwater pools. There are also several shops selling discount-priced jewelry, beachwear, Mexican silver and handicrafts, souvenirs. It is generally open to cruise ship passengers only. Costa Maya port is the closest to lots of the lesser known Mayan ruins in Yucatan (including Kohunlich and Chacchoben).
Costa Maya cruise terminal
Puerto Costa Maya was is the first cruise port in the Western Caribbean that was purposefully built for cruise ships exclusively. The port's location is around 5 1/2 hours from Cancun (Yucatan Peninsula). The cruise terminal complex was designed to resemble a Mayan city. The port's capacity is 3 berths (3 ships may dock here at a time), with water depth of the pier allowing docking even of the world's largest ships. If more than 3 vessels visit the port at once, the other will be anchored and their passengers transported to the pier via tender boats.
Majahual is located approx 5 minutes away. Limited taxis are parked at the village's exit. Taxi fare from the port ot Majahual is around $5 PP. Banks and post offices are not available in port. There are pay phones in the shopping complex.
The following map of Costa Maya cruise port shows all facilities in the terminal area. The built by the pier cruise tourist village has several complimentary swimming pools (including 1 huge, filled with saltwater and featuring a swim-up bar), also restaurant and bar, restaurant grill, shops (incl a convenience store and Market Place selling Mexican crafts), Jade Maya Museum, taxi ranks, bike rentals, even a Mayan Pyramid replica and its own beach (with hammocks, showers, volleyball pool). The following map of Costa Maya cruise port shows all facilities in the terminal area.
Next map shows Costa Maya cruise terminal's main facilities and all shopping options. Most of the shops are open when ships are in port.
Numbers on the map indicate the following shops:
- (1) Diamonds International (Caribbean's largest selection of diamonds and diamond jewelry)
- (2) Tanzanite International (thousands of loose and set pieces in all sizes, shapes and colors)
- (3) Diamonds International (discount jewelry)
- (4) Carpet Emporium (over 10,000 certified handmade carpets, including from Turkey, Persia, India, China; free DHL shipping worldwide, tax and duty free)
- (5) Diamonds International (luxury watches and designer jewelry, including the brands Caribbean Topaz, Chameleon, Chopard, Wyle, TAG Heuer, John Hardy, Korite, Baume & Mercier, Cartier, Concord, Corum, Cyma, Dior, Ebel, ESQ Swiss, IWC, Longines, Maurice Lacroix, Movado, Philip Stein, Piaget, Edward Mirell, Judith Ripka, Yvel)
- (6) Havana Club (premium cigars, including Monte Cristo, Cohiba, Romeo & Julieta, Partagas, the shop has a walk-in humidor)
- (7a, 7b) Tequileria International (over 200 Tequila brands, including Agave, Mescal, Anejo, Blanco, Kahlua)
- (8) Del Sol (world's largest color -changing retailer, custom-Made T-Shirts themed on the Mayan Ruins in Chichenitza)
- (9) Silver Factory (unique silver and gold jewelry designs at low prices, including rings, bracelets, necklaces, also sells
- (10) Taxco (silver factory, unique silver jewelry designs, Including semiprecious stones / amethyst, onyx, quartz, topaz, zircon,, Swarovski crystal, at factory prices)
- (A) Bbandito's (Lobster Shack) is a beach restaurant with live entertainment (menu includes lobster burritos and fresh fish specialties)
- (B) Mamasita's (Restaurant & Bar) - offers fresh fish tacos, poolside Bar Service and Happy Hour prices between 3-4 pm).
The Costa Maya cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Costa Maya, Mexico.
If you lose the Costa Maya location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Costa Maya cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Costa Maya, Mexico. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
1 January, 2017
2 January, 2017
4 January, 2017
5 January, 2017
6 January, 2017
7 January, 2017
9 January, 2017
10 January, 2017
11 January, 2017
12 January, 2017
13 January, 2017
14 January, 2017
15 January, 2017
17 January, 2017
18 January, 2017
19 January, 2017
20 January, 2017
24 January, 2017
25 January, 2017
26 January, 2017
27 January, 2017
28 January, 2017
29 January, 2017
30 January, 2017
31 January, 2017
Prime time for tropical storms and hurricanes in the Caribbean is the period between late August and early September. Tropical Depression Fiona...August 24, 2016
Cruise lines are currently changing their itineraries in the Caribbean as the deadly weather system named Tropical Storm Earl headed towards Yucatan...August 4, 2016
A medical emergency caused itinerary changes for the 7-night April 2 Caribbean voyage of Carnival Valor, according to a statement from Carnival...April 4, 2016
Prior to repositioning to Port Canaveral from Galveston in early April, 2016 Carnival Magic is undergoing a 2-week dry dock to add Fun Ship 2.0...February 24, 2016
MSC Cruises announced it will further strengthen line's presence in Cuba by homeporting a 2nd ship in Havana from Winter 2016-2017 season, due...December 3, 2015
Liberty of the Seas arrived at the Port of Galveston on Friday. The Freedom-class Royal Caribbean ship replaced Navigator of the Seas on ...November 15, 2015
According to the president of Carnival Cruise Line, Christine Duffy, passengers rated Puerto Vallarta among Top 5 ports that Carnival ships visit in...October 9, 2015
At least three cruise lines were affected by Hurricane Danny. It is the first hurricane this season to touch down in the Atlantic ocean. Carnival...August 22, 2015
In 2016 fall, Disney Cruise Line returns to New York for a limited time with Bahamas cruises including a visit to Florida's Walt Disney...May 19, 2015