Located on Honshu Island's southern part and on Tokyo Bay's western shore, Tokyo is the capital and the largest city of Japan. It is also one of the world's most heavily populated cities. Tokyo has been the capital of the country since 1868, after the rule of feudal Tokugawa dynasty was overthrown. At that time the name of the city was changed from Edo.
- Currently, Tokyo is Japan's industrial, commercial, financial and cultural centre. The total metropolis area of Japan is 2,187.66 km2 (844.66 ml2).
- The old town of Edo is the heart of Tokyo's central city. The prominent structure there is Imperial Palace and the surrounding parks. In Kasumigaseki district, to the south and west of Imperial Palace, are most of the important government buildings, including the National Diet Building, Prime Minister's Secretariat, Supreme Court, the national ministries.
- In Northern Tokyo tourists will find Ueno Park, home to shrines, tombs, pagodas, and Tokyo National Museum exhibiting an array of archaelogical artefacts and Japanese art. Also in the north is Senso-ji, the most sacred temple in Tokyo. Back in the centre, don't miss Tokyo's most famous shopping area, Ginza district.
- The architecture of Tokyo has largely been shaped by its history. The metropolis has been left in ruins twice during recent history: first in the Great Kanto earthquake in 1923 and later after firebombing in World War II. This is the reason why the urban landscape consists predominantly of modern architecture, and older constructions are scarce.
- The city of Tokyo features many internationally popular forms of contemporary architecture including Asahi Beer Hall, Tokyo International Forum, Mode Gakuen Cocoon Tower, Rainbow Bridge, NTT Docomo Yoyogi Building. Tokyo features 2 distinctive towers: Tokyo Tower and the brand new Tokyo Skytree, the tallest in Japan and the 2nd tallest structure in the world after Dubai's Burj Khalifa.
- Tokyo also boasts numerous gardens and parks. There are 4 national parks in the Prefecture, including Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park, comprising all of Izu Islands.
- Different festivals are held throughout Tokyo city. Major events include Sanno at Hie Shrine, Sanja at Asakusa Shrine, and biennial Kanda Festivals (featuring a parade with thousands of people and elaborately decorated floats).
- On the last Saturday of July every year, an awesome fireworks display over Sumida River attracts more than a million spectators.
- Once cherry blossoms bloom during spring, a lot of residents gather in Tokyo's Inokashira Park, Ueno Park, and Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden for exciting picnics under the blossoms.
The Tokyo cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Tokyo, Japan.
If you lose the Tokyo location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Tokyo cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Tokyo, Japan. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
- May, 2019
|Day||Ships in port|
6 May, 2019
27 May, 2019
4 May, 2019
25 May, 2019
When the subject of Chinese cruise market came up at the news briefing on a preview sailing of Seven Seas Explorer recently, Frank Del Rio...July 31, 2016
Steve Odell, svp and md Asia Pacific for NCL Holdings, released pricing for the extended 2017-2018 season in Australia onboard Norwegian Jewel. When...July 25, 2016
Princess Cruises will cruise from Adelaide for the first time in 2017-2018, offering South Australians roundtrip sailings to New Zealand. Golden...April 11, 2016
Silversea announced it was adding all-inclusive package amenities on all Silver Shadow Asia voyages in 2016, including free Wi-Fi, free shore...June 28, 2015
Carnival Corporation announced that its Princess Cruises brand would offer an array of Japan cruises from Kobe and Tokyo in 2016...April 6, 2015
- show more news