Pulau Penang Island is part of Malaysia (constitutional monarchy in Southeast Asia) as one of all 13 federal states. The state covers a total area of approx 1048 km2 () and has population around 1,67 million. It is also one of the Malaysian states run by a Governor (together with Malacca, Sabah, and Sarawak.
Malaysia also has another isle called "Pulau Pinang" - it is a diving site situated in South China Sea, part of Johor Marine Park, consisting of a group of islands: Pulau Dayang, Pulau Lang, Pulau Aur and Pulau Pinang itself.
Port Penang is a free port (free economic territory) serving the capital city George Town (also Georgetown). When the British East India Company occupied Penang (August 12, 1786), the isle was named "Prince of Wales Island" to honour the birthday of King George IV (at that time Prince of Wales, 1762-1830). The capital city George Town was named after the ruling King George III (1738-1820).
Penang Island has an area of 295 km2 (114 ml2). It is the 4th-largest island in Malaysia, after Banggi, Bruit and Langkawi islands. Pulau Penang Island is also the most populated in the country with a population of around 678,000. It is connected with mainland by the Penang Bridge which begins at Gelugor on the isle and ends in Perai on mainland.
- In 2016, the cruise port handled a total 150 ship calls and 230,000 passengers.
- In mid-March 2017, RCCL Royal Caribbean entered into a joint venture (40% stake) with the Porth Authority "Penang Port Sdn Bhd" (PPSB). On September 6, 2018, RCCL and PPSB
- Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCL) and Penang Port Sdn Bhd (PPSB) officially signed the joint venture terminal project.
- RCCL will upgrade and redevelop port's existing facility "Swettenham Pier Cruise Terminal" in George Town. At the upgraded pier will be able to dock two larger cruise vessels simultaneously. Along with two large liners, the port will be also able to berth 2 more ships - 1 small and 1 medium-sized.
- The existing berth will be extended from 400 to 688 m (1312 to 2260 ft), by adding 220 m pier plus 118 m long marine dolphin (mooring structure extending above the water but not connected to shore). Terminal's areas will be redeveloped to include a dedicated tour bus parking area. Project's cost was USD 35 million.
- In 2017, RCCL had scheduled 38 ship calls in Penang (George Town). In 2019, RCI scheduled a total of 36 ship calls at Penang.
Pulau Penang Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Pulau Penang Island dock at George Town (Georgetown) - on island's east coast. Most ships dock at Swettenham Pier Cruise Terminal, with capacity all 4 ships at the time (2 larger plus 1 small and 1 medium).
- The cruise port (officially Penang Harbour) can handle the world's largest ships at its Swettenham Pier. The pier is located close to the popular tourist attractions Weld Quay, Beach Street, Clock Tower, Esplanade.
- Since the Swettenham Pier has only 2 berths, if those are already occupied, other cruise vessels will be anchored in the harbor waterway and their passengers offloaded and transported to the town via the ship's tender boats.
- For 2018 was scheduled a cruise port development project including widening of the cruise ship berths and expanding the passenger terminal,
Port Pulau Penang Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Pulau Penang Island, Georgetown, Malaysia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|2 April, 2019|
|4 April, 2019|
|5 April, 2019|
|8 April, 2019|
|11 April, 2019|
|12 April, 2019|
|14 April, 2019|
|Explorer Of The Seas||15:00||22:00|
|22 April, 2019|
|26 April, 2019|
|CMV Vasco da Gama||07:00||17:00|
|27 April, 2019|
The Pulau Penang Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Pulau Penang Island, Georgetown, Malaysia.
If you lose the Pulau Penang Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents (MATTA) proposed that Penang to be turned into homeport for cruise ships to cater to the region's...October 1, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean Cruises and PPSB (Penang Port Sdn Bhd) signed a joint venture to redevelop Swettenham Pier Cruise Terminal with intention of allowing...September 7, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Penang Port allocated RM180 million capex (capital expenditure) in 2018, mainly for operations at NBCT (North Butterworth Container Terminal). ...February 27, 2018
- Cruise Industry
An unprecedented number of cruise ship arrivals in 2017 is showing that Penang's tourism business is changing, especially for retail...August 11, 2017
- show more news