Tórshavnar Havn, Eystara Bryggja, Postboks 103, FO-110 Tórshavn, Faroe Islands
30 °F / -0 °C
Torshavn is the largest seaport and capital city of Faroe Islands (autonomous territory of Denmark). The city is located on Streymoy Island's eastern coast and has population around 13,000. Faroe Islands are located almost midway between Iceland and Norway, and northwest of Scotland (UK). As cruise port, Torshavn is the gateway to 17 uninhabited islands.
Torshavn is cruise port of call on itineraries offered by P&O UK, TUI, RSSC Regent, Silversea, NCL Norwegian, CMV, Crystal, Phoenix Reisen, Viking Ocean, Cunard, Oceania, Saga, Holland America, Azamara, Royal Caribbean, Hapag Lloyd, Ponant, Windstar.
In 2014, Disney Cruises was the first of all three (for now) cruise companies (followed in 2016 by AIDA Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd Cruises) that have banned Faroe Islands (a Danish territory) as destination part of their North European itineraries. The boycott is due to the island nation's traditional mass slaughter of pilot whales each year. The protected by Denmark gruesome practice of killing whales is called “Grindadrap Grind". Locals use motor boats to drive a pod of whales into a harbor. The defenseless animals are dragged to the shallow water and brutally slaughtered by locals armed with knives (16-19 cm / 6 8 inch long) while their families cheer them on. The killing party even rip out baby whales from their mothers. Faroe Islands have population of about 50,000 and kill each year over 1,000 pilot whales.
In 2018, the port received 44 cruise ship calls. For 2019 were scheduled 50 ship calls.
Torshavn cruise terminal
Torshavn cruise port doesn’t have a dedicated terminal. Cruise ships dock at the commercial pier (eastern breakwater) or (if occupied) anchor in the bay and their passengers are tendered ashore. In 2019 will be completed port expansion project which includes adding 900 m (2950 ft) berthing space and dredging the harbour to water depth / max draft 15 m (49 ft).
The dock is within walking distance from downtown. If there is no possibility to dock at Port Torshavn or to anchor in the bay, cruise vessels dock at the alternative Kollafjord port. Shuttle buses are provided. The distance to Torshavn cruise port is 24 km, direction North.
The official language is Danish. The local currency used at Torshavn cruise port is the Danish Krona (DKK).
For 2020 is scheduled for completion a 2-year port expansion project that will result in a total of 900 m (2950 ft) quayside length and minimum draught/water depth 15 m (49 ft) quayside. The expansion will give the cruise port capacity to handle world's largest passenger ships.
Torshavn tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Tinganes: those are the cliffs that divide Torshvan in two. It used to be the place where the Norwegian settlers met and the political life center.
- Kirkjubø: the Streymoy’s southernmost village is famous with the fact that here used to be the seat of the bishop. You can see the Múrurin remnants and the Ólavskirkjan. The Mururin cathedral was constructed in the 14th century, Ólavskirkjan dates from the 12th century.
- Faroese evening: amazing event, that you should visit. They are arranged mainly in June and July.
- The Faroe Islands Art Museum: located at Gundadalsvegur 9. It houses rich Faroese art collections. The most famous works are by Sámal Joensen-Mikines. The collections are permanent.
- Listagluggin: located at Dr. Jacobsensgøta 15. It houses contemporary Faroese art.
- Historical Museum: located at Kúrdalsvegur 2. It houses artifacts and pictures to tell you the Faroe Islands’ life in time.
- The Faroese Museum of Natural History: located at V. U. Hammershaimbs gøta 13.
- The Nordic House: located at Norðari Ringvegur. The architecture of the house combines Norwegian, Danish, Swedish and Finnish influences. The Nordic House houses Faroese and Nordic art forum. It includes art exhibitions, theater, concert and dance performances.
Port Torshavn cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Torshavn, Streymoy, Faroe Islands. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|7 March, 2020|
|20 March, 2020|